Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you see the Confederate flag displayed,what thoughts or feelings do you have about that time in
It represents a great period of American history 10 21.28%
I know it offends people but its my right to fly it 10 21.28%
It is offensive if people are proud of states rights,they can fly their state flag 12 25.53%
Don't really care 18 38.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:49 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I'm sure a large number of Confederate soldiers felt like they were simply defending their homes and didn't really care about or maybe even opposed slavery.
However, there is the little matter of the battle of Fort Sumter, the opening engagement of the Civil War. The Confederates fired first.
Why did they want independence and "State's Rights"?
What state right were they fighting for? The right to keep slaves. What was the difference in the economic system? Slaves.
Sure, they had to be fed. But they did not have to be paid a wage.

From the Cornerstone Speech, Savannah, Georgia, 1861

its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition

Look at the Declaration from Texas, the state's reasoning for its secession:
That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding states.

I understand that some folks could be as rednecky as all get-out, and still not be racist. I know some of them.
I realize that everyone has the right to pick a symbol they identify with.
To me that flag usually says "Yeah, I'm a rebel, I identify with the War Between the States, you know, that war that involved the ownership of human beings."

Just today I passed by a pickup with these bumper stickers:

Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Palin
American By Birth, Southern By The Grace Of God (with Battle Flag)

I think that guy is sending a message. Some might say, aw, it's just his Southern heritage. And like it or not, it is his right to display it.
The Battle Flag, like it or not, is a shorthand symbol for the South.
It's probably going to be a part of American heritage forever.

And the intent behind displaying the flag *can* vary.

It is interesting to see how its meaning can be used ironically.
Check out Ludacris. (http://blogs.sohh.com/atlanta/archives/Luda.jpg - broken link)
And Texas wasn't the only state to do this either. Elite persons throughout the South openly said that the reason they were prepared to secede was to keep slavery. Nowadays many people won't admit it, but in those days no one had any shame. Link:Confronting Civil War Revisionism: Why The South Went To War - News We're Not Getting From MSM

Sources are also listed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:54 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Eh. I know I'm Southern, just like I know I'm American. I don't need to salute a bit of cloth to prove either one. As for being proud to be either one...it's nothing I personally did that made me an American woman or a Southerner. I'm grateful for my heritage and my citizenship, and mighty pleased by it, but I can't say I'm proud of it.

Why do you assume others are lying?
I have a hard time believing everything people say to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies