Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I didn't say that. What they are trying to pass is attempts to stiffle free speech. I can just see some person with an agenda pretending their little feelings were hurt. I wouldn't trust any bill a Democrat wrote.
Yes....in other words, your own paranoid interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Unintended consequences be damned.
?! Give an example of what you mean, please.

This is so the next LD can be charged appropriately. Why is this hard to understand.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:21 AM

305 posts, read 539,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
They don't think that deeply.

It is the typical "tough on crime" stance, that most people jump up and down for (in support of), no matter how stupid or unrealistic it might be. But they get to pat themselves on the back, on how they are protecting the little guy and the voters typically respond by re-electing them.

Just look at all the zero tolerance policies in schools. People ate them up, until little johnny or jane got caught with a couple of aspirin.

More like Republicans eat them up; aren't they The Party of Law and Order? After all, we have them to thank for things like the Patriot Act, War on Drugs (make sure we have tough sentences for drugs, but show some understanding when good Americans like Rush Limbaugh and Noelle Bush get caught), etc.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Should "obscene" speech be illegal?
Absolutely not.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I guess we will all meet face to face in the federal pen
We could have a pen specially built for c-d users. And you could go by your c-d name!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:14 AM

78,338 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
The difference here is that the black helo issue was stupid. This proposal on the other hand has the real ability to harm. And a powerful well financed group ready to expand this in ways never intended. I wouldn't rest in the shade of constitutional protection my friend. Not with Sotomayor in the wings and the constitution being alive and all. Blah blah blah.
I'm going to go with my first instinct on this one and chalk it up to irrational fear caused by partisan politics. I remember all the lefties that screamed about Bush listening in on all our phone conversations too. Boogity boogity boo!

Here are some more bills that have been proposed:

End the BCS
Congressman*proposing bill to end BCS system - NCAA Football - Bowls - 2008 - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/10/congress.ap/index.html - broken link)

Give land back to Indians (there are many)
BRADLEY OFFERS BILL TO RETURN LAND TO SIOUX - The New York Times

...what about jumping on the current scare-du juor? Reparations bills.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I guess we will all meet face to face in the federal pen
I'll finally get to see if ELO looks like what I picture him as......The urge to post a pic is almost overwhelming,but that would just get me into court that much faster.

Oh,wth

Old 07-13-2009, 12:11 PM
obo

916 posts, read 985,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I'd have to read more, but I think this may relate to that teen girl who committed suicide. I'm torn on the issue, myself. All speech is not constitutionally protected. You can't scream threats at me through my fence. That's harassment.
That is totally different. If I'm screaming threats to you in your yard from mine, you are sort of being forced to listen to it. If I post something on a blog or a website, nobody is forcing you to read it. This is baby crying crap. Why is it that the Govt. can do this federally, but will not enact the Jessica law federally? This girl who comitted suicide had other mental issues than beinbg bullied, what about the children who are abducted, raped and killed? So again, it's ok to jail or fine someone for "hurting their feelings" but mandatory minimums for child sex offenders is not ok?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies