U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,614,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nuclear waste lasts for hundreds of thousands of years. What do you think we are going to do with it in the future when it's spilling out into our backyards?
I'm sure we can come up with solutions to the problem.

You didn't answer the question - France and Japan are heavily dependent on nuclear energy - how do they manage?

When's the last time you heard of an accident?

Chernobyl & 3 Mile - that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:41 PM

471 posts, read 875,662 times
It would be possible if we didn't have stupid resistance from people who "don't want to see them". That's right! New York State (most of Western NYS) and coastal MA have excellent/ideal wind sites. Yet it's close to impossible to get a wind power plant up and running in this area because people find every stupid excuse on the book to oppose them. People make up stories about turbines being bad for their cattle (I'm not joking) or say they might be a hazard for endangered species 100 miles away . (Of course this halts development because now the developers must spend months, sometimes years, doing environmental studies for a 100-mile radius ) It's so expensive to get a Wind farm developed and built in New York State it's actually cheaper to get our power from other states. It has nothing to do with the area not being ideal for Wind farms. It has everything to do with ignorance and special interest groups playing this same ignorance and using it to keep coal as the main source of power for us in the North East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
But is that truly realistic, particularly in the land locked north east where coal dominates? Will you be able to completely and consistently replace the kilowatts generated by the coal plants no matter the wind/weather conditions?

Last edited by gf1025; 07-09-2009 at 10:09 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 09:43 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,473,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

You didn't answer the question - France and Japan are heavily dependent on nuclear energy - how do they manage?

You forget about how many nuke boats Russia built that failed...
Its the waste that concerns many. I am not opposed to Nuclear energy. I am opposed to stock piling the waste in hopes of a better disposal someday in the future.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:50 PM

12,627 posts, read 18,177,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Even if it's just trading one greenhouse gas emission for another, I'd still rather move away from our dependence on foreign oil.

I guess some people are against anything and everything associated with liberals (or whatever the opposing viewpoint is). Glad I'm not one of them.
I cannot remember if you ever voiced a opinion on drilling offshore from our own country? Anyways I think we need to put pressure back on our elected officials to do just that.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:50 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,576,598 times
One solution (as already mentioned) is nuclear power and we should seriously consider it. And for those who don't think I'll put my money on it or that I'll go all NIMBY, you read it here: I have no problem with the idea of living within a few miles of a nuclear reactor. Build 'em.

Here's some interesting reading:

Waste Management in the Nuclear Fuel Cycle : Nuclear Waste Disposal : World Nuclear Association

Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 PM

19,216 posts, read 12,999,619 times
Quote:
Investors.com - Not So Fast With Those Electric Cars

One more fallacy of the environ-wackos down the toilet.

Never mind the fact it is ugly as all hell - and I would never put my kids in that deathtrap.
An unfit smile and beady little eyes.

Someone's tellin big fat lies.

YouTube - Randy Newman - Short People

Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,654,209 times
Quote:
There is no solution to nuclear waste. It lasts for hundreds of thousands of years and is just as toxic 600,000 years from now as it is today. The only solution is to not produce it in the first place.

Quote:
They have no idea how to dispose of it. They admit that fact. The more they make, the bigger the problem. You sound like a big advocate for nuclear energy, so how do you propose we dispose of it. Burying it doesn't work. It leaks. Sealing it in containers doesn't work. It leaks. Sending it to the bottom of the ocean doesn't work. It leaks. Nothing works. It leaks.

So since you are so sure that it's such a great solution to our energy needs, you must know of a full-proof solution for disposing of the waste that the rest of us don't. I can't imagine that you would advocate for nuclear energy unless you are absolutely certain that it won't kill tens of millions of people in the future once the waste builds up. Please do share with the rest of us how you plan to get rid of the waste!

Quote:

Right... only tens of thousands dead at Chernobyl. How encouraging. Makes me want to build one of these plants next to my kids school! Yay!

By the way, how many have been killed by solar or wind energy? Just curious...

Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,035,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I cannot remember if you ever voiced a opinion on drilling offshore from our own country? Anyways I think we need to put pressure back on our elected officials to do just that.
Yes, I'm very much in favor of offshore drilling, but my understanding is that the amount of oil available off of U.S. shores is very small and would barely make a dent in reducing our dependence on other countries for oil.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,473,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
There is no solution to nuclear waste. It lasts for hundreds of thousands of years and is just as toxic 600,000 years from now as it is today. The only solution is to not produce it in the first place.

They have no idea how to dispose of it. They admit that fact. The more they make, the bigger the problem. You sound like a big advocate for nuclear energy, so how do you propose we dispose of it. Burying it doesn't work. It leaks. Sealing it in containers doesn't work. It leaks. Sending it to the bottom of the ocean doesn't work. It leaks. Nothing works. It leaks.

So since you are so sure that it's such a great solution to our energy needs, you must know of a full-proof solution for disposing of the waste that the rest of us don't. I can't imagine that you would advocate for nuclear energy unless you are absolutely certain that it won't kill tens of millions of people in the future once the waste builds up. Please do share with the rest of us how you plan to get rid of the waste!

Right... only tens of thousands dead at Chernobyl. How encouraging. Makes me want to build one of these plants next to my kids school! Yay!

By the way, how many have been killed by solar or wind energy? Just curious...
In all Fairness Chernobyl is a classic example of poor design and even worse maintenance. I agree with much of your post but we can not evem begin to compare a a Reactor of Chernobyls design to that of what the USA builds. Apples to oranges.
A Plasma incinerator is a viable solution. It in fact generates power from what it incinerates including toxic waste products.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 PM

12,627 posts, read 18,177,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, I'm very much in favor of offshore drilling, but my understanding is that the amount of oil available off of U.S. shores is very small and would barely make a dent in reducing our dependence on other countries for oil.
This article has a map you can scroll over to see the amount off each coast.

Worth the risk? Debate on offshore drilling heats up - USATODAY.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies