Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I wish that we would stop thinking that every black person is the same or has had the same history. We are different; some of us have white ancestors and some of us have native american ancestors. So how can many of us mixed blacks have a slave mind?

My natural hair isn't kinky or curly, its naturally straight with waves so I guess I'm outside of the "black" norm right there.
I guess I am too, my natural hair isn't kinky (unless I let it air dry) it's just really really thick and it takes an excessive amount of time to manage without a relaxer - hell even when my hair is relaxed I have a hard time getting people to braid my hair because of it's thickness and length.

But oh well it's not the first time in my life that I haven't been able to relate to the black experience. Darn my mixed ancestory

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-22-2009 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM

529 posts, read 1,335,521 times
My point is simply this. A White Woman's efforts to attain
beauty by risking skin cancer {Tanning}, horrible scarring
{Plastic Surgery}, possible starvation {Anorexia}, while
spending large amounts of money to have silky, shiny, curly
hair {not deal with straw hair} has never been equated with
her attempting to eradicate her "Whiteness".

So why in the world would there be an assumption that to
temporarily change hair texture is anything but a decision,
based on convenience and that particular Black Woman's
standard of beauty?

Black Women are not known to risk starvation,
skin cancer or having to spend a lot of money for hair
products in order to be considered beautiful.

Maybe there is jealousy at their "freedom" to not need to
put in as much effort as White Women, to be loved or
considered successful so hair accusation becomes a
useful tool, and the only tool, of a racist.

Something to think about.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:53 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Black women do not have a standard of beauty........all we have is the standard of beauty that has been shoved down our throats by white society!! The slave mind is the only reason that we would want to do things (relax our hair and bleach our skin) to our bodies to IMITATE the same people who brainwashed us to think this way in the first place.

These 2 youtube videos (the redneck shop in South Carolina) took place just last year (2008).......so let's stop with this BS about it is just a hairstyle and has no connection to self awareness!! These are the people that black women choose to imitate when we decide to relax our hair and bleach our skin........give me a damn break!

This is the reason I have no time to sit on here and debate with ignorant people. I only have time for enlightened people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhL7U02FAcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNidPvMVKBw

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-22-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 12:03 PM

127 posts, read 282,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
A friend from Africa told me about this about 5 years ago and I gave it little thought.

She said you could look at some women's faces and it would be two or three shades lighter than her hands or neck.

I believe this attitude has roots in post colonial times but also with constant media commercials showing Whiteness as the ultimate standard of beauty.

Remember the sociology experiment where the little black girls were told to pick the doll they thought was prettier, the choice was a black or white doll.

Overwhelmingly they chose the white doll, the conditioning had started that early in life.

I found these videos hurtful and disturbing, especially the Jamaican family.

Why do we continue to be so backwards in some areas?

YouTube - Family of Skin Bleachers: VC2

YouTube - Skin bleaching is the big thing in Africa
Did anyone say Michael Jackson?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
I am really not trying to start an argument but I don't understand your viewpoint here. Now if you're not able to answer me without being condescending - then feel free to ignore me but I am really curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Black women do not have a standard of beauty........all we have is the standard of beauty that has been shoved down our throats by white society!! The slave mind is the only reason that we would want to do things (relax our hair and bleach our skin) to our bodies to IMITATE the same people who brainwashed us to think this way in the first place.
How can black women not have a standard of beauty?

Even if African cultures they have standards of beauty. If I remember correctly from the classes I took in college (and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) the multiple rings around the neck, the lip plate, certain piercings or tattoos were all standards of beauty and class. I also remember something about being thin was not attractive and thin female children were not likely to be groomed for marriage.

So are you saying that because we didn’t continue the standards of beauty that were once practiced in Africa, we now have none except the one that has been forced upon us by our surroundings?

Again, I’m not trying to start an argument, just not following your perspective.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisNY View Post
Did anyone say Michael Jackson?
Loved his music when he was being his REAL SELF.......after I saw how idiotic he was with the bleaching of the skin and nose jobs that was it for me and Michael Jackson!

He is a very famous example of the slave mind! Musical genius, icon? Yes, example for black children to follow hell no. I can only imagine what would happen in the black community if we had Michael Jacksons money......we would really lose the rest of the damn mind that we have left and go to the extremes that he went to. I mean he even took his self hatred to the level of LYING about fathering children that are obviously white!!

He allowed himself to become a public SPECTACLE for all to see.........he really lost his damn mind. This is why in the last few years his record sales were not good.

How the hell do you go from this to this damn!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:27 PM

132 posts, read 223,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I am really not trying to start an argument but I don't understand your viewpoint here. Now if you're not able to answer me without being condescending - then feel free to ignore me but I am really curious.

Even if African cultures they have standards of beauty. If I remember correctly from the classes I took in college (and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) the multiple rings around the neck, the lip plate, certain piercings or tattoos were all standards of beauty and class. I also remember something about being thin was not attractive and thin female children were not likely to be groomed for marriage.

So are you saying that because we didn’t continue the standards of beauty that were once practiced in Africa, we now have none except the one that has been forced upon us by our surroundings?

Again, I’m not trying to start an argument, just not following your perspective.
guess she could not answer you w.o being condesending

Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 PM

Default The Danger of the Slave Mind!

Just spoke with my neighbor and heard the horrible news that his step daughter died a couple of days ago.

30 Year old (young) black woman..........died from the complications caused by having (cosmetic surgery) a tummy tuck!! It is way beyond hair choices and skin bleaching..........when we allow the beauty standards of white society (slave mind) to influence what we do with our bodies this is the tragedy that happens! Did someone say Kanye West's mother who died from the same thing!

Another black woman gone because she decided to have plastic surgery to fit in to the BS white beauty standard. Somewhere (magazines, television) she got in her mind that she must be thin in order to fit in! Again ideas (slave mind) we have gotten from white society. All of this anorexic, hair relaxing, skin bleaching nonsense!!

We don't live in Africa.......therefore we have ADOPTED OUR STANDARD OF BEAUTY (brainwashed) from the white race......therefore African American women living in the United States of America do not have a beauty standard!! Maybe if we would not have been the victims of slavery and maybe if Africa would have been left to develop without outside European interference.......then maybe we would not be having this discussion and could say that we have OUR OWN standard of beauty.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,679 times
I know you're not asking me, but here is my take on what NYB is saying -

She isn't referring to traditional African practices (lip plates, scarification, etc.). She is simply questioning why the overwhelming majority of black women (around 75%) relax their hair and whether there is a social/cultural component. Is it really about having hair that is easier to maintain or is it in an effort to more socially acceptable? I don't personally believe it is about trying to "be white" but that it is a reflection of how we've internalized the attitudes that we think others have about our appearance.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

Old 07-22-2009, 03:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I suspect that many blacks would prefer to be white. If you look at the black man, for example, he favours a lighter skinned black woman or, if he has the money, a white woman.

Actually, that's not what "the black man" thinks or does. That is what some black men think or do. Others don't have color preferences,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies