Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Over the past 2 years I personally know small business owners that have gone back to operating on their own and have let their staff go. They are just trying to survive at this point and have given up expansion of their businesss. Yes they take on less customers but have only themselves to worry about. And these business owners did feel bad about what they did.

Corporations can offshore and lay you off and not feel a twinge of guilt or remorse as you are nothing but a number in a computer.
Small business owners with several employees operate like a family and know each other. It's much harder on them and they are most affected by this.
These are the types of folks I'm talking about. Small business is the back bone of this country. Most small business owners have hearts and see their employees struggling every day. They want to keep them, even until it hurts their bottom line sometimes.

Wal-mart on the other hand has a lot of employees at the min wage level. What is their excuse if they lay off people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, that's not too hard is it? They do that all the time. Both parties that is.
To me, I would look at it being hard. You could say it is sneaky I guess. But usually if the bill will not pass on it's own merit, by itself in fear of a non-vote in Congress or a veto by the President, you must attach it to another important bill.

This is taking place right now with the Hate Crime Bill attaching to the Military Funding Bill.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Small business owners with several employees operate like a family and know each other. It's much harder on them and they are most affected by this.
Very few small businesses pay as little as minimum wage, so this will affect a very small percentage of businesses.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
To me, I would look at it being hard. You could say it is sneaky I guess. But usually if the bill will not pass on it's own merit, by itself in fear of a non-vote in Congress or a veto by the President, you must attach it to another important bill.

This is taking place right now with the Hate Crime Bill attaching to the Military Funding Bill.
Another one got attached to that very same bill. It was regarding the Treasury giving the FDIC more money without having to get approval from Congress. Although I think that was a stealth move so it doesn't hit the MSM when the FDIC runs out of money.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
Small businesses don't have to pay minimum wage untill their sales exceed $500,000! No wonder they are one of the few businesses that are actually surviving in this country (while corporations move jobs in droves overseas to avoid minimum wage laws)! They also do well b/c they are self-employed and can therefore not pay themselves a wage until they start making money. Have you ever seen a Chinese restaurant go out of business? I haven't!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 AM

769 posts, read 887,485 times
Quote:
These are the types of folks I'm talking about. Small business is the back bone of this country. Most small business owners have hearts and see their employees struggling every day. They want to keep them, even until it hurts their bottom line sometimes.

Wal-mart on the other hand has a lot of employees at the min wage level. What is their excuse if they lay off people?

How many "large" corporations have min. wage workers? I'll bet Exxon doesn't employ many, in any. I work for a fairly large corporation, the lowest paid people here are interns/students, and they make $25/hr.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:38 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, that's not too hard is it? They do that all the time. Both parties that is.
That's change for you.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Trust me, there is nothing easier than simply attaching a bill to another bill. Both parties do it all the time. There is nothing unusual about it.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Something people seem to miss with this is employers will have to pay employees who were making $7/hour last year more now.

And those making $8/hour now make barely min. wage

And those making $9/hour aren't much better.
I think a LOT of people haven't worked low paying jobs in years...

What some seem to miss here is now a dishwasher in a diner MUST be paid at least $7.25/hour....to wash dishes.

Why don't we raise min. wage to $20/hour,that way everyone will be making good money???

Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
That's change for you.
It's only a 75 cent change, but a change nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies