U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
 
3,151 posts, read 3,127,830 times
Reputation: 1075

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Guess what, they enlist and CHOOSE this career, there is no draft.

I hope they get rid of smokeless tobacco first.
The AF announced over a year ago that they're going smoke-free.
I guess it wasn't a talking point then.

I say bring all the troops home.

The people who came up with this idea are the military leadership. I believe they've all seen the front line.

Let's see, I'll bet you haven't.

They can't drink in the sandbox. You might also try eating at a DFAC (dining facility), you'd be surprised at some of the good food available.
(Might want to try a spell check)
(And you might want to try and make legitimate arguments, instead of focussing on dribble)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 17,620,042 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
Military plans phased in ban over next 10 years.

New enlisted and officers will have to be smoke-free.

As a 20 yr vet, I do see the good things in this ban, the cost savings for healthcare, better health for the troops, etc...

Some vets say smoking is a stress reliever, and as we know they are under a lot of stress lately. Suicide rates are up.

Or is this another right being taken away, albeit, troops do give up a lot of rights when they sign the dotted line to join.

Ban on tobacco urged in military - USATODAY.com
How times change. I can remember the little 3 cigarette packs that were issued to us with our field rations back 40 years ago. Besides the military knows full well that nicotine calms the soldier in combat as well as curb his hunger in combat. MANY a soldier is alive today because he was calmed by some tobacco he had with him that he used to keep his wits about him under fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,735,377 times
Reputation: 11317
Default We're not special because we're vets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
Well God Bless You chielgirl, thanks for serving!
It was a choice, no need to thank me for decisions I made for personal reason.
We're not special because we're vets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,735,377 times
Reputation: 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
(And you might want to try and make legitimate arguments, instead of focussing on dribble)
Ooooooh, like yours?
Since there is socialized medicine in the military, they can call the shots.
They choose to ban the use of a known carcinogen in their troops/employees.
Their call.
It's an all volunteer force, they don't have to re-up.
Yes, even soldiers & other military members can make choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 24,924,010 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Yeah, tell a bunch of guys who are trained to kill that they are not allowed to smoke...see what happens...
If they know how to follow orders, they won't cause trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, Ca
2,048 posts, read 2,793,665 times
Reputation: 1650
They should probably ban guns in the military, they seem more dangerous than cigarettes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,735,377 times
Reputation: 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
They should probably ban guns in the military, they seem more dangerous than cigarettes
what's the cost to the taxpayer for end-state cancer or emphysema?
Don't you whine about the cost of things to come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 PM
 
3,151 posts, read 3,127,830 times
Reputation: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ooooooh, like yours?
Since there is socialized medicine in the military, they can call the shots.
They choose to ban the use of a known carcinogen in their troops/employees.
Their call.
It's an all volunteer force, they don't have to re-up.
Yes, even soldiers & other military members can make choices.
your point kind of gets lost in all of your loonie rambling..take a deep breath and try it again..come on ..I know you can do it..try another draft before you press submit..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, Ca
2,048 posts, read 2,793,665 times
Reputation: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
what's the cost to the taxpayer for end-state cancer or emphysema?
Don't you whine about the cost of things to come?
I am staunchly against taxpayer funded health care. I'll whine about the cost all I want because any is too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 01:41 PM
 
5,697 posts, read 5,436,931 times
Reputation: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
Military plans phased in ban over next 10 years.

New enlisted and officers will have to be smoke-free.

As a 20 yr vet, I do see the good things in this ban, the cost savings for healthcare, better health for the troops, etc...

Some vets say smoking is a stress reliever, and as we know they are under a lot of stress lately. Suicide rates are up.

Or is this another right being taken away, albeit, troops do give up a lot of rights when they sign the dotted line to join.

Ban on tobacco urged in military - USATODAY.com


good grief
this is totally stupid
I quit smoking about 7 or 8 years ago, because I wanted too
not because the govenment told me to, let them start with the commander-in-cheif since he is still smoking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top