Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 12:41 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i also think that the parents that let their children alone with MJ for these sleepovers should be held accountable too and it was a travesty that they were financially rewarded for not protecting their children.
I felt the same way. That's like putting your toddler in the middle of the street to play and then getting paid when someone run's him over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 01:25 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaw45 View Post
Ok then, I'll rephrase. Edited parts are in bold.

"Michael Jackson is seen as a hero to many because he singlehandedly broke down massive social barriers that had stood for time immemorial, and opened the door for an entire segment of this society to succeed. There were very few black people on TV before Michael. There weren't all that many blacks songs in the mainstream media before Michael. Blacks artists didn't experience the astronomical monetary and sales success they do now until Michael showed up. As far as civil rights go, few individuals this side of Malcolm and Martin did more than he did."

I'm holding on to the second part. Perhaps there was an isolated exception or two, but the fact of the matter is that Michael opened the door for black musical culture to become a central, more integral part of popular culture, the way that it is today. Billie Jean was the first video by an African-American artist to be played in a heavy rotation on MTV or any other channel on cable TV. Without that, 90% of black artists out there today are basically under the radar and nothing more.

He achieved a level of stardom that I'm quite sure The Platters never reached prior to him and that no artist since has either. He was, quite frankly, very much more successful than them. For me, that's notable enough.
He did black people a great disservice.

And his fans, black or white, seem to be suffering from the same pathology of arrested development that MJ suffered.

I'll take this song any day:

YouTube - Fingertips Part 2.(Live)- Stevie Wonder- 1963

Old 07-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Location: Upstate NY for now. Hanover, New Hampshire come the fall.
99 posts, read 153,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
He did black people a great disservice.
How so?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaw45 View Post
How so?
By example and hard work.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
By example and hard work.
He did a disservice to black people by example and hard work

Old 07-12-2009, 02:00 PM

199 posts, read 241,802 times
"Michael Jackson was nothing more than two-bit junkie"

And more than likely he was a better person than some two-bit basher on a message board such as yourself.

Get a life why don't cha?

Old 07-12-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
He did a disservice to black people by example and hard work
Think about it some more.

Hint: Take a look at Tiger Wood's example and hard work.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Think about it some more.
yeah I'd rather you just explain what you meant than sit here and try to analyze it

Old 07-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
yeah I'd rather you just explain what you meant than sit here and try to analyze it
To me, watching golf is as much boring and a waste of time as watching paint dry - but it's pure entertainment to me compared to watching MJ.

Reading about TW's success, however, thrills me to no end.

Folks like TW just don't do disservice to me.

I'm probably just ignorant.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
To me, watching golf is as much boring and a waste of time as watching paint dry - but it's pure entertainment to me compared to watching MJ.

Reading about TW's success, however, thrills me to no end.

Folks like TW just don't do disservice to me.

I'm probably just ignorant.
Or I am because I still don't get what you're saying. Oh well. Can't win them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies