U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:42 PM

19,216 posts, read 12,939,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Is there such a thing as dumb Democrat humor?
There was a fabulous movie about-on this subject, an independent film, I think, though I can't remember the name of it.

It was 17th or 18th century and during a rivalry between the English and the French, the English were being pounded by the French at being the most civilised nation due to the French aristocracy's development and adoption of "wit". All nobility positions were determined and granted by the applicant's abilities at wit. Yes, there were tests.

The English spies reported this to their king, who ordered his nobles to study it and for the spies to steal it if possible.

The English were unable to duplicate this thing called wit, so they invented "humor".

The French found out about this "humour" thing, and perfected their culture's "wit".

The movie was fantastic, and if anyone knows the name of it, I'd like to know so I can watch it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM

19,216 posts, read 12,939,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Rush beat his addiction to pain killers as many people get addicted and beat it.

MJ was into more then just pain killers but that is different right?

MJ was a lethal junkie who illegally hired many doctors to get the fix he needed.

MJ is the real criminal here, breaking all the laws for prescription drug use.

Sad that he was so talented and tossed it all away by abusing drugs and breaking the law doing so.

Yeah! The law is really important. It protects the stupid.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM

539 posts, read 625,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Okay. I wasn't aware of MJ's politics, but I'll take your word for it.

Keep that post of yours, you can use it when Limbaugh dies. You'll only need to change "liberal," and maybe add a "fat-assed" and "freak."
Your jealously is noted.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:44 PM

5,357 posts, read 9,821,707 times
Compassion. So much talent, so tortured...

Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM

18,051 posts, read 10,077,749 times
[quote=Fleet;10528452]He is currently much more well than Michael Jackson. And he deserves credit for beating his addiction before it killed him. An addiction which only happened because of severe back pain.[/quote]

And the fact that he chose to continue buying drugs on the street after his prescription ran out rather than revisiting the doctor.

Hardly the act of an innocent victim.

Limbaugh is a junkie. Still in recovery, we hope, but nonetheless a junkie, and he will always be a junkie. There is no way to sugar coat addiction and call it anything but what it is.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:07 PM

2,770 posts, read 5,346,139 times
Are we to dismiss someone's accomplishments because of their drug habits? As someone mentioned earlier, you'd run out of numbers trying to count the amount of actors/musicians etc. who were on drugs.

Heath Ledger played an awesome Joker...any takers?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:23 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,661,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And the fact that he chose to continue buying drugs on the street after his prescription ran out rather than revisiting the doctor.

Hardly the act of an innocent victim.

Limbaugh is a junkie. Still in recovery, we hope, but nonetheless a junkie, and he will always be a junkie. There is no way to sugar coat addiction and call it anything but what it is.

Ehh, if some one quits there addiction I would see them as a recovering alcoholic, drug addict, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post

Heath Ledger played an awesome Joker...any takers?

It was an alright movie but I think the majority of the hype and awards are because he died.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 AM

16 posts, read 20,339 times
Yeah big deal, that was his burden to carry. Did it impede on his talent, hell no. Just a sad way to end a promising life. How many of our greats were imperfect, tormented or tarnished. But like any junkie or addict he had his share of enablers and they are the ones that need the slap on the wrist. He was surrounded by a bunch of bottom feeders.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:34 AM

8,233 posts, read 11,244,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
According to IMDB, Elvis had 18 #1 billboard songs.
Elvis' records have sold over 1,300,000,000, more than any other musical artist/group.

And Elvis had a nice baritone voice, not a high squeaky voice like Michael had.

According to the Recording Industry Association of America, the Eagles album "Their Greatest Hits" became the #1 selling album of all time in 1999 and has been for the last 10 years. It has sold 29 million copies compared to Michael Jackson's 28 million copies for "Thriller."

Thriller sold 110M
Back in Black 49m
Bat out of Hell 43m
Dark Side of the Moon 43M
Eagles greatest hits 42m
along with 6 other albums that sold 40-49m

I never said MJ held the record for #1 hits. He simply had a lot of them and a lot in many countries.

The most sold artists in histroy are :
#1 the Beatles with !B +
#2 Elvis also 1B
#3 ABBA 370M
#4 MJ 350M

With the massive sales since his death I would not be surprised to see MJ move into #3. He has had 9M+ sales since he died.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,369,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
It is pathetic the way some of the leaders of this country are perpetuating the misguided hero worship of a man who, more likely than not based on reports and eye-witness accounts, was nothing better than a junkie.

Portrait of Jackson's pill consumption emerges - CNN.com

Have to admit it has always struck me as odd how so many "star" types are druggies.

I'm not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg.

Are druggies attracted to the arts that Hollywood peddles? Or does Hollywood turn artists into dope addicts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies