Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:08 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar77 View Post
This much 'grieving' isn't good for anyone.
Remember 9/11 and how the media played that tragedy over and over? People were developing serious depression issues because they had to constantly relive the experience again... over and over. And my prayers are to those who were touched by that horrible event.

But I think the same thing is happening now. People should be moving on, but it's like they can't.
I don't understand any adulation for a celebrity. Moving past the annoyance it's been that I can't watch any television without MJ ~ and I do exercise my right to just turn it off ~ I am honestly beginning to worry about the long term effects this will have on some people.
I hear what you're saying. The more people dwell on things the more hazardous it is to their mental health. I don't idolize any celebrity but I understand grieving for someone like MJ or your favorite actor. I personally think it's pretty natural to be sad for a few days over something like that, doesn't matter if you personally knew that person or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I was a huge MJ fan like 10-20 years ago....the last couple of years his behavior was so weird. I still think he was innocent but guilty of stupid behavior and no adult should sleep in one bed with a child other than his own, but society has made it impossible to think otherwise than people who have sex with kids which of course isn't always the case....What about the parents who lined up their kids to have them sleep over at Neverland, they are guilty to the same.

Having said this I feel more and more awful about all the drugs that have been found at his home and it clearly is showing he was a drug addick and although his kids describe him as a good father, I don't think any drug addick can be a good father. Watching cartoons with your kids and provide them with all the money in the world isn't making you a good daddy. I'm not saying he was a bad father either...he probable never hit them and loved them dearly.

Not having a mother figure and a father figure who was busy all day to score painkillers is a bad surrounding...

MJ was one of the greatest musicians I witnessed in my life and I still enjoy his music, but for the rest the whole family makes me sick and specially the people around them like Al Sharpton who has lost all perspective of what is important and to state that because of MJ, Obama is now president makes no sense at all...
I never heard MJ talking about politics and he was very good friends with Liza Minelli, Liz Taylor and many others...so what doesn that has to do with Obama and the father, Joe Jazckson makes me even more sick....talking about his new label, right after his son died.

The family is all about plastic surgery and other sick things...look at Jermaine with the hair dye all over his hair and face, just creepy...they are great musicians...nothing more and nothing less!

Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
It is pathetic the way some of the leaders of this country are perpetuating the misguided hero worship of a man who, more likely than not based on reports and eye-witness accounts, was nothing better than a junkie.

Portrait of Jackson's pill consumption emerges - CNN.com

WoW!!! That's a little bit cold hearted Why you sound so hostile towards him?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Thank you.
No matter what the man did in his life he has paid the price and cant pay a higher price. Then losing his life.

No one would give him peace in life cant he have some in death.
I think your missing the reality that he didn't want to be left alone in life, he did everything he could to call attention to himself, to publicize himself. He wanted the spotlight and the attention.

As for him getting peace in death, he is dead, he has no clue what is going on now, I doubt his lifeless corpse cares what is going on.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:35 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
"Michael Jackson was no more than..........."

I suggest that we offer FormerCaliforniaGirl the same one-dimensional judgement based on the side of her she showed with this OP.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think your missing the reality that he didn't want to be left alone in life, he did everything he could to call attention to himself, to publicize himself. He wanted the spotlight and the attention.

As for him getting peace in death, he is dead, he has no clue what is going on now, I doubt his lifeless corpse cares what is going on.
I dont agree I believe he wanted some privacy.If he didnt he wouldnt have built neverland like he did and also buying the land above him so people cant buy that property and look down on him. All entertainers have to use the public to a degree doesnt mean they dont alway want to be able to go to the movies and such

You know just like Eminem said he doesnt mind giving autographs and interviews and such but when hes out with this daughter leave him alone. Give him space he said he understands thats part of his job but that doesnt mean he cant have a sense of a normal life for his children.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:31 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
No, just a pathetic, pill popping liberal.
loony post, and a dumb ass status

Old 07-10-2009, 06:05 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
And aside from these mentioned here chances are that you personally know someone struggling with substance addiction, and it could even be you.

People don't self destruct without deep seated psychological problems which compel them to self mutilate by abusing drugs or alcohol - it was OBVIOUS to the world the man suffered some pretty serious personal demons for almost his entire lifetime.

So to sit there on your White Horse in your Glass Tower and throw rocks at the dead seems extremely out of line to me.

You can see from the short list I posted that there are many people in the entertainment industry who have battled substance abuse, and some of them succumbed to it.

I am not throwing stones at the man's legacy. Junkie or not. When someone sells 750 million +++ (and counting) albums worldwide, they deserve to be remembered for their accomplishments. Rest in peace Michael Jackson. [Quoted from LuckyGem]

I wasn't a major MJ fan, but the unkindly and even vicious attacks are uncalled-for, particularly when the man isn't cold yet. As was noted, Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney were subjected to a drug regimen imposed by the studio in order to get more movies out of them: amphetamines to keep going, then barbiturates for sleep. IMHO, Brooke Shields expressed that aspect of never having a
childhood when she spoke at the service; his relationships with Liz Taylor and Lisa Marie Presley reflect that understanding as well. People who resort to drugs, alcohol or both to the level of addiction are often self-medicating, trying to alleviate some part of life that is deeply painful. I'd say that working since the age of five might disrupt one's maturation and psychological development...
let the sad little man rest at last.

Last edited by Evenstar51; 07-10-2009 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: lousy typing

Old 07-10-2009, 06:07 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Michael Jackson was nothing more than two-bit junkie

then Elvis was a one bit chunky junkie.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:32 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Micheal Jackson was indeed a gifted musician, (singers and instrumentalist are all musicians)
He would by any stretch of the imagination be called a child prodigy as his talent was evident without any music instruction what soever. Having said that it cracks me up to hear people talking about his personal life. If you ever study music or art history you will find lots of weirdos among the most gifted artist throughout history. IMO you can't be a gifted artist, make 1/2 billion dollars before you retire, and impact the world, and all the while coach soccer or little league, be in the Rotary, drive a Volvo, and be on the city commission. On the other hand if want to do those things with your life you will not have people studying about you in academia 100 years now. MJ has been in texts books in music appreciation classes for at least 10 years already . People said the same things about ; Edgar Alan Poe, Mozart, Beethoven, Van Gogh and All the rest during their life time.

IMO MJ is the last light to flicker and go out in the realm of Pop music following Janis ,Jimi , and Elvis.
the same thing happened in Jazz following the deaths of ,Paker Coltrane and Davis . There will nothing new in pop music from this day on because the only person with creative ability to do it is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies