Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 11:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,291,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
First, sweetie, I am a girl, and with 840 rep, no Im not a phoney.
Second, in SC yes you can, as long as its not heated up for you.
How do I know? I deal with it on a daily basis, as is my job.

Publix. As I said, the 500 dollar ones are huge, and the price tag depends on the size, filling, and icing on the cake. They're also charged for the toppers, flowers (any that might be used on top of the cake or around it, depending on design).

It all just depends, but they can be bought on EBT.
why does it matter if it can be bought on EBT? unless you think the folks buying the cake lie and cheated to get on food stamps (b/c, as we know. they ALL do!!), chances are that they are low income. so if they want to spend their entire monthly allowance on a cake, let them. they'll just starve later on. who are you to decide what people should buy?

I'll just let folks know that I catered my sister's entire 150 person wedding w/ JUST my food stamps. cakes, lobster, king crab legs, cocktail shrimp platters, oysters, Filet Mignon, and New Zealand lamb, all paid for w/ food stamps! I used my cash benefits to pay for the open bar too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,006,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
why does it matter if it can be bought on EBT? unless you think the folks buying the cake lie and cheated to get on food stamps (b/c, as we know. they ALL do!!), chances are that they are low income. so if they want to spend their entire monthly allowance on a cake, let them. they'll just starve later on. who are you to decide what people should buy?

I'll just let folks know that I catered my sister's entire 150 person wedding w/ JUST my food stamps. cakes, lobster, king crab legs, cocktail shrimp platters, oysters, Filet Mignon, and New Zealand lamb, all paid for w/ food stamps! I used my cash benefits to pay for the open bar too
You're not in my state. Therefore, you can cost Chicago taxpayers money for things you dont need, and I dont give a hoot what you do.

As for my own state, yes, I care what "low income" people buy with my tax dollars, and privately hope they choke on their large amounts of party food that isnt neccessary for feeding their children/spouses.

And where did I say I decided anything? Hmm? I decided nothing, but instead ring the items up like Im supposed to and make nicey-nice with the customer.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 AM

26,488 posts, read 36,342,453 times
I don't know that buying $500 cakes is really the norm among food stamp recipients. Of course there is abuse of it; one of our "renters" is a prime example. The "system" is flawed for sure. But I also think that there are children who are actually getting food they otherwise wouldn't have if it weren't for the program.

There's a lot being said about "our money" in this thread, but I wonder if the advocates of social Darwinism here realize what the true costs to society would be ifi we didn't have some of these programs?

Question for the checker--when you get an ETB card, can you tell when they use it what kind of benefits are on it?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know that buying $500 cakes is really the norm among food stamp recipients. Of course there is abuse of it; one of our "renters" is a prime example. The "system" is flawed for sure. But I also think that there are children who are actually getting food they otherwise wouldn't have if it weren't for the program.

There's a lot being said about "our money" in this thread, but I wonder if the advocates of social Darwinism here realize what the true costs to society would be ifi we didn't have some of these programs?

Question for the checker--when you get an ETB card, can you tell when they use it what kind of benefits are on it?
No ma'am, I cannot. I think, however, that is primarily the use of EBT cards in SC. I could be wrong, though, and there's likely someone here on CD who'd be able to better tell you what else those cards are used for (if anything)

Old 07-16-2009, 07:18 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,242,592 times
Quote:
No ma'am, I cannot. I think, however, that is primarily the use of EBT cards in SC. I could be wrong, though, and there's likely someone here on CD who'd be able to better tell you what else those cards are used for (if anything)
According to the South Carolina state website (Link: http://www.state.sc.us/newsletter/ci...8794.5214.html), South Carolina was planning in 2006 for addition of other benefits to EBT cards in addition to food stamps (SNAP).

Also, you can use EBT cards in any state, as the food stamp benefits are federally funded. The states administer the program. Many states are adding TANF cash benefits (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families), child support collected, and other cash benefits to EBT cards. Adding benefits to an existing account accessed by EBT card is more secure than sending checks, and easier for the very impoverished to use than bank accounts. Many people cannot get bank accounts due to poor credit, having had an account closed for negative balance, or lack of a permanent address.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 PM

26,488 posts, read 36,342,453 times
OK...I know they can put unemployment benefits on a debit card in some states too. I just have no idea if there is a way for the checker to know---some kind of code or something--if it's unemployment, food stamps, or whatever.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:06 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,242,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OK...I know they can put unemployment benefits on a debit card in some states too. I just have no idea if there is a way for the checker to know---some kind of code or something--if it's unemployment, food stamps, or whatever.
Yeah, I knew that. I just thought it was time to reprise my refrain. Also, I came across a question that someone had asked regarding whether you could use EBT cards in other states (the answer was yes). Given that the question was about use of EBT for wedding cakes, I thought it would be apropos to include that information.

Also that South Carolina SNAP benefits are not exclusively paid by South Carolina taxpayers, since it is a federal program.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:04 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,315,816 times
Quote:
Publix.
Either way I still don't see what difference it matters how they spent their food stamps. If they hadn't brought the $500 cake - they might have brought $500 worth of junk food, or (if we're too believe all the things we've read on every food stamp thread) sold them for .50 on the dollar to buy drugs. If they chose to spend $500 on a cake (and I doubt this is an every day occurrence, most of the people I know on food stamps didn't even know you could get the Deli subs with your food stamps until *someone* told them )then that just means they'll have to find another way to feed themselves that month.

I don't understand why people feel they are entitled to determine how people spend their food stamps, when they're not feeding you.

Quote:
and privately hope they choke on their large amounts of party food that isnt neccessary for feeding their children/spouses.
I think this is seriously a case of food envy...you really hope people choke because you don't approve of their use of food stamps? Wooooooow

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-16-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 02:04 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,291,269 times
Quote:
You're not in my state. Therefore, you can cost Chicago taxpayers money for things you dont need, and I dont give a hoot what you do.

As for my own state, yes, I care what "low income" people buy with my tax dollars, and privately hope they choke on their large amounts of party food that isnt neccessary for feeding their children/spouses.

And where did I say I decided anything? Hmm? I decided nothing, but instead ring the items up like Im supposed to and make nicey-nice with the customer.

you MUST learn how to take a joke! sheesh...

FYI: the folks using food stamps are very likely to have jobs too. therefore, they also pay taxes. your taxes are no more special than theirs, so if paying taxes= getting to decide/pass judgment what people buy w/ food stamps, then they, having already paid taxes, get to decide what they should buy w/ food stamps

Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

I don't understand why people feel they are entitled to determine how people spend their food stamps, when they're not feeding you.

I think this is seriously a case of food envy...you really hope people choke because you don't approve of their use of food stamps? Wooooooow
Where did I say I determined anything???

The stuff is rung up. They go through with their items. Im not entitled to determine what they can and cannot buy. I *am* entitled to my own opinion though, and my opinion is that when you're supposed to be "low income", you shouldnt be buying crab, lobster or cakes ( wedding cakes dont happen often, but birthday cakes do). I laugh when someone brings up a hot sub, steamed shrimp, or a deli soda from our soda machine and cant pay for it with their EBT, because it isnt allowed. It makes me smile on the inside.
So yeah, choke on it. Dont like my opinion? Don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies