Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I never heard of being able to use food stamps for restaurant food.
In special cases, they can. I don't know how this woman would qualify, as it's usually elderly people or people who can't cook at home. Perhaps if her application stated that she had only a bedroom and no access to cooking in the kitchen?

From the SNAP website:

Quote:
In some areas, restaurants can be authorized to accept SNAP benefits from qualified homeless, elderly, or disabled people in exchange for low-cost meals.
Eligible Food Items (http://www.fns.usda.gov/FSP/retailers/eligible.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 PM

195 posts, read 127,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
welcome to America another democrate voter so what else is new it's all free just sign up here.ha ha hey arnold hows the Gov job goin ha ha
Actually, probably a republican. Ooooops!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:47 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
You think they received them fraudulantly?
I did a google with Memphis Tennessee food stamp fraud report and got this hit:
United Council on Welfare Fraud - Home (http://www.ucowf.org/fraud_contacts.htm - broken link)

If you really think this was a fraud... don't just complain about it.... do something.

Thank you for the link. I will do that!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:51 PM

220 posts, read 648,597 times
Wow, it used to be you could only buy food with food stamps for UN cooked food, take and bake places accepted them also but you were buying raw food.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
In special cases, they can. I don't know how this woman would qualify, as it's usually elderly people or people who can't cook at home. Perhaps if her application stated that she had only a bedroom and no access to cooking in the kitchen?

From the SNAP website:

Eligible Food Items (http://www.fns.usda.gov/FSP/retailers/eligible.htm - broken link)
Interesting. I didn't know that.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
This girl has one 9 year old daughter. The corvette is not hers I think. But the point is that you want to help people out and there are some of them who is living the good life while "eating for free" and driving luxury cars.

3,709 posts, read 4,626,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Then my other coworker shows me her food stamp card too! She says she gets $300,00 a month. That's more then me and my family spend on food in a whole month.

After work I went to the grocery store. As I am standing in line I notice people around me with grocery carts filled up to the rim with hundreds of dollars worth of food. This is not the first time I see this and I always wondered how in the hell can everybody but me and my husband afford to buy this much food. I am hardly living in a wealthy part of Memphis, TN.
I am exited if I can afford to buy a six pack of beer for my husband and I to share on Friday night. I can not remember last time I went out and spend over 300 bucks worth of food.
So after what happened at work today I am checking how this people are paying for their loaded carts. And my suspicions were confirmed. They all paid, 3 different people, with food stamps. This guy in front of me bought stuff for almost $400,00 worth!
It just amazes me.
Welcome to the new slavery. If you don't wise up and become a slave yourself, you will considered an "owner". Owners have to provide everything for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Interesting. I didn't know that.
Yup, one of those Fun Facts I dug up for the other food stamp thread.

Here's something I was just reading - the eligibility requirements.

Eligibility (http://www.fns.usda.gov/FSP/applicant_recipients/eligibility.htm#Resources - broken link)

Quote:
Households have to meet income tests unless all members are receiving TANF, SSI, or in some places general assistance. Most households must meet both the gross and net income tests, but a household with an elderly person or a person who is receiving certain types of disability payments only has to meet the net income test. Households, except those noted, that have income over the amounts listed below cannot get SNAP benefits.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This girl has one 9 year old daughter. The corvette is not hers I think. But the point is that you want to help people out and there are some of them who is living the good life while "eating for free" and driving luxury cars.
So the car isn't even hers. Whether she drives it or not is between her and who actually owns it.

Since you work at the same place she does, you may be able to get food stamps yourself.

I'm curious about how she can be allowed to use a food stamp card in McD's. Doesn't sound like she meets the guidelines for that.

Are you sure these two women you work with weren't just pulling your leg?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So the car isn't even hers. Whether she drives it or not is between her and who actually owns it.

Since you work at the same place she does, you may be able to get food stamps yourself.

I'm curious about how she can be allowed to use a food stamp card in McD's. Doesn't sound like she meets the guidelines for that.

Are you sure these two women you work with weren't just pulling your leg?
Maybe her EBT card also had her child support on it, since the OP says she has a 9 year old daughter. Therefore the McD's would come out of the cash portion, not the SNAP (food stamps). Make sense to you? It's all I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies