U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 PM

21,646 posts, read 27,723,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You know what. You don't know me so please don't call me an SOB.

http://www.useppp.com/products/images/ebt_card.gif

I can see this from further away then 6 feet . It is really recognizable.
Is the card you posted specific to food stamp benefits or do the unemployment/child support ones look the same?

Really, I think you should apply for them yourself. Think of the extra cash you'd have for hooch if you did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM

12,221 posts, read 17,920,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Is the card you posted specific to food stamp benefits or do the unemployment/child support ones look the same?

Really, I think you should apply for them yourself. Think of the extra cash you'd have for hooch if you did

You are so funny!
What is hooch anyways?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
No, I can't. I am married and we have 2 incomes. Even though we have tons of bills, student loan and childcare expenses, and not much left over for food. But it will be ok. In a year or so when most of our expenses have been eliminated. We are working hard everyday to get there.
It can be tough but you're doing the right thing. I was a student/single parent/employee for awhile and was fortunate that my son's father voluntarily paid a substantial amount of child support; we didn't struggle much. But there was more than one time when I came home from work/school and before I even got out of my truck, the neighbor across the street was at me to borrow something...usually small things, a couple eggs, bread....and it bothered me because I know she was on welfare. But if she hadn't been on welfare, her two precious children would have been in one foster home after another. Her son became a friend of sorts with mine and I think that was good for her son; he saw a better way to live.

I don't know how I would have handled her life if I'd have had to have lived it. The first time I ever met her, she was outside screaming in the street for someone to call 911. I called and then went out to see what was up. Her baby had just died of SIDs.

In her situation I may have spent a couple of years on welfare myself; I don't know. There are some pretty sad stories out there and like I said before, compassion costs you nothing.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
You are so funny!
What is hooch anyways?
Liquor!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
It can be tough but you're doing the right thing. I was a student/single parent/employee for awhile and was fortunate that my son's father voluntarily paid a substantial amount of child support; we didn't struggle much. But there was more than one time when I came home from work/school and before I even got out of my truck, the neighbor across the street was at me to borrow something...usually small things, a couple eggs, bread....and it bothered me because I know she was on welfare. But if she hadn't been on welfare, her two precious children would have been in one foster home after another. Her son became a friend of sorts with mine and I think that was good for her son; he saw a better way to live.

I don't know how I would have handled her life if I'd have had to have lived it. The first time I ever met her, she was outside screaming in the street for someone to call 911. I called and then went out to see what was up. Her baby had just died of SIDs.

In her situation I may have spent a couple of years on welfare myself; I don't know. There are some pretty sad stories out there and like I said before, compassion costs you nothing.
I said earlier that many people really need food stamps. I am not against that. I am just saying that after what my co worker pulled, realizing now she is abusing the system, I wonder how common this is.
And I am not checking people out in the grocery stores. I was just observing that one day, after everything else that went down, how many people that receive food stamps.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 PM

6,597 posts, read 6,794,633 times
Quote:
I said earlier that many people really need food stamps. I am not against that. I am just saying that after what my co worker pulled, realizing now she is abusing the system, I wonder how common this is.
And I am not checking people out in the grocery stores. I was just observing that one day, after everything else that went down, how many people that receive food stamps.
Earlier today, I was reading this site:

Policy Basics: Introduction to the Food Stamp Program — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

and found this:

Quote:
To promote efficiency, the Food Stamp Program has one of the most rigorous quality control systems of any public benefit program, and has achieved its lowest error rates on record in recent years. USDA reports that fewer than 2 percent of food stamp benefits are issued to households that do not meet all of the programís eligibility requirements.

At the same time, the Food Stamp Program is reaching a large share of eligible households. About two-thirds of individuals who qualified for food stamps received them in fiscal year 2007, the most recent year available. This approaches an all-time high, and shows significant improvement from 2001, when the participation rate bottomed out at 54 percent after changes from the 1996 welfare law caused many eligible families to lose their food stamps when they stopped receiving welfare.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:56 AM

3,398 posts, read 7,128,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think I figured out why she is in such a bad mood. I went and read some of her other posts. It seems her boyfriend is in Japan and will be for 3 years. I didn't read the entire thread but if memory serves she was really upset about the length of time he had dedicated to being in the army and how long she would have to wait.

That would be enough to put anyone in a bad mood and be as misreable as she is on this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
If I knew what publix you worked at, I would call your managers attention to your attitude. Your posts would make fascinating reading for them just before they fired you.

Deny it all you want but the Salvation is a CHARITY, Miss I'm better then everyone else...
Not better...just more stubborn than the average bear.
Which just means we shopped CHEAP. Really, Lindsey, hissy fits dont become you a'tall. You're beginning to sound quite shrewish.
You all are acting as if just because someone is a cashier, stocker, whatever, that that person isnt allowed to have his/her own opinions.Just shove things through a line all day, listen to the general populations want, desires, and opinions, and form no thoughts or opinions whatsoever. We're not nice, polite robots behind the smile you know. We've all opinions and feelings of our own.

And by the way, he's in the NAVY. Not Army. Get it right.

How so? For an opinion expressed off the clock? Pft.
Im entitled to my opinion, whether you like it or not, as so long as it isnt expressed or even hinted at while performing my job, I seriously doubt its any of your bloody affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I would have complained to the manager too, trust me (and would have had every reason to).
Again, how so, if my opinion wasnt expressed to you before, during or after the transaction?
All you'd hear out of me "Hello sir/ma'am. Find everything you needed today?
Thank you sir/ma'am. Come back and see us.

Last edited by Colddiamond102; 07-20-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 01:49 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,169,431 times
Quote:
Don't begrudge them a damned cake.
Also don't forget (according to FlordiaSandy) that internally those people are thanking you for the cake since it was brought with your tax dollars

Quote:
I did not make up any story and for you to say that is just too sad because I always liked you and your posts. Too bad..
That means you weren't reading them correctly
Quote:
And by the way miss English teacher, English is my second language.
Good for you - everyone should be fluent in a second language

Quote:
I live in MEMPHIS TN!! Are you really surprised?
And yes, you do need to get your eyes checked if you can't see an object 6 feet in front of you.
Objects yes, the words EBT on a card that's probably only visible for a few seconds...no. I'm trying to imagine this scenario though.

I imagine okay the register - one lady with a basketful of things - the belt is full of food and she's probably still loading more food onto the belt as the cashier is bagging. The person behind her is probably leaning on their full cart and (probably obstructing most of the view of the first person) or flipping through a magazine. The third person is probably looking around to see if any other lines or shorter (and obstructing the view of the first person even more) and then there I am double-checking my basket to make sure I didn't forget anything, thinking about the potluck at work next week, recounting in my head to make sure I didn't go TOO far over my budget, rearranging the stuff in my basket so I can put it on the belt in the order that I want it in, trying to figure out what I'm going to cook tonight, checking the clock to make sure that even if I spend another 20 minutes in this store I'll make it home before the school bus, making sure that check I need to deposit in the bank is in my wallet and not still on my dresser...

yeah I guess that's why I never notice the food stamp shoppers...I'm too busy worrying about my own life.

Oh and that button next to the quote button, will allow you to reply to several posts at once in case no one mentioned that to you.

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-20-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 04:18 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,719,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Not better...just more stubborn than the average bear.
Which just means we shopped CHEAP. Really, Lindsey, hissy fits dont become you a'tall. You're beginning to sound quite shrewish.
You all are acting as if just because someone is a cashier, stocker, whatever, that that person isnt allowed to have his/her own opinions.Just shove things through a line all day, listen to the general populations want, desires, and opinions, and form no thoughts or opinions whatsoever. We're not nice, polite robots behind the smile you know. We've all opinions and feelings of our own.

And by the way, he's in the NAVY. Not Army. Get it right.

How so? For an opinion expressed off the clock? Pft.
Im entitled to my opinion, whether you like it or not, as so long as it isnt expressed or even hinted at while performing my job, I seriously doubt its any of your bloody affair.

Again, how so, if my opinion wasnt expressed to you before, during or after the transaction?
All you'd hear out of me "Hello sir/ma'am. Find everything you needed today?
Thank you sir/ma'am. Come back and see us.
The more you write, the more your personality comes out. Its SAD.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Also don't forget (according to FlordiaSandy) that internally those people are thanking you for the cake since it was brought with your tax dollars

That means you weren't reading them correctly
Good for you - everyone should be fluent in a second language

Objects yes, the words EBT on a card that's probably only visible for a few seconds...no. I'm trying to imagine this scenario though.

I imagine okay the register - one lady with a basketful of things - the belt is full of food and she's probably still loading more food onto the belt as the cashier is bagging. The person behind her is probably leaning on their full cart and (probably obstructing most of the view of the first person) or flipping through a magazine. The third person is probably looking around to see if any other lines or shorter (and obstructing the view of the first person even more) and then there I am double-checking my basket to make sure I didn't forget anything, thinking about the potluck at work next week, recounting in my head to make sure I didn't go TOO far over my budget, rearranging the stuff in my basket so I can put it on the belt in the order that I want it in, trying to figure out what I'm going to cook tonight, checking the clock to make sure that even if I spend another 20 minutes in this store I'll make it home before the school bus, making sure that check I need to deposit in the bank is in my wallet and not still on my dresser...

yeah I guess that's why I never notice the food stamp shoppers...I'm too busy worrying about my own life.

Oh and that button next to the quote button, will allow you to reply to several posts at once in case no one mentioned that to you.
Thanks for the tip about quote button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies