Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,937 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mention she has only been on food stamps for about a month and her husband is currently seeking employment. Also his unemployment benefits from his 5 years working as an electrician and paying taxes goes on the same card as their food stamps. So if they go out tomorrow and buy a 52' plasma screen they have that right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 12:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTriumphs View Post
I forgot to mention she has only been on food stamps for about a month and her husband is currently seeking employment. Also his unemployment benefits from his 5 years working as an electrician and paying taxes goes on the same card as their food stamps. So if they go out tomorrow and buy a 52' plasma screen they have that right.
Yes but being unemployed, on food stamps and with 3 kids would it be a really good idea to buy that TV ? Just because we can doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:00 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I never heard of being able to use food stamps for restaurant food.
Dog food is the only food that should be available for purchase via food stamps.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Dog food is the only food that should be available for purchase via food stamps.
That is kinda cruel, don't you think?

I agree that when people begin to abuse they system, they should lose their benefits. No IF, ANDS, or BUTS about it. But if someone TRULY needs help, they should be helped out. I thought it was cruel that you said that. I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you might truly and honestly need help.

They should be allowed to still eat. Conservatives are generally pro life but lately just seems like they only are pro life if you are in the womb.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Today at work my I found out that the two girls I work with both were on food stamps.
I was on my way to lunch when I realize I didn't bring anything from home. So I tell the girls I work with that I was going to be "bad" and swing by MC Donalds and pick up a chease burger and a drink. One girl ask me to please bring her back a burger and a sprite. She hands me her , what I thought was a debit card, and says " buy your lunch too. It will be free for both of us. I look at her kind of funny and ask how it can be free when she pays for it. I buy my own lunch, I told her and you can pay me back for yours later. When I came back from lunch I told her the total cost of her burger and a soda. It came to $3.50 including tax. She looks at me and says "omg, this could have been free!" "you should have used my food stamps"

So this bank card I thought she handed me was really food stamps. This girls drives a brand new Corvette and dresses really nicely. She is always bragging about all this men giving her stuff and how they pay her bills and so on.
She is working a full time job and lives with her mom.! What is up with this?

Then my other coworker shows me her food stamp card too! She says she gets $300,00 a month. That's more then me and my family spend on food in a whole month.

After work I went to the grocery store. As I am standing in line I notice people around me with grocery carts filled up to the rim with hundreds of dollars worth of food. This is not the first time I see this and I always wondered how in the hell can everybody but me and my husband afford to buy this much food. I am hardly living in a wealthy part of Memphis, TN.
I am exited if I can afford to buy a six pack of beer for my husband and I to share on Friday night. I can not remember last time I went out and spend over 300 bucks worth of food.
So after what happened at work today I am checking how this people are paying for their loaded carts. And my suspicions were confirmed. They all paid, 3 different people, with food stamps. This guy in front of me bought stuff for almost $400,00 worth!
It just amazes me.
Here we go again, the top5% walk off with half of the nations wealth and people want to worry about who is getting Food Stamps.
Look to the $35,000 an hour set for the solution to your problems

Old 10-25-2009, 02:34 PM

403 posts, read 534,936 times
Quote:
so poor kids are supposed to eat dog food in your little world? i guess u get a little tinkle in your eye when you hear about kids in other countries being so poor that they do raid trashcans & eat scraps like dogs do.

im glad people like you have no say so in what our children eat & dont eat.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
what kind of nation are we that we demonize people who do need public assistance? Are there people who abuse the system? Sure there is but to lump others who are truly in need is unfair.
If you could afford to buy grocercies you should be thanking god because I have seen to many people who have to decide whether to pay bills or eat and this is especially true amongst the elderly.
As for the dog food comment, we take better care of our pets than we do people!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:04 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
what kind of nation are we that we demonize people who do need public assistance? Are there people who abuse the system? Sure there is but to lump others who are truly in need is unfair.
If you could afford to buy grocercies you should be thanking god because I have seen to many people who have to decide whether to pay bills or eat and this is especially true amongst the elderly.
As for the dog food comment, we take better care of our pets than we do people!
Thank god for what? Even if one existed, I've gotten where I am through sheer hard work and nothing else.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:07 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love.doll View Post
so poor kids are supposed to eat dog food in your little world? i guess u get a little tinkle in your eye when you hear about kids in other countries being so poor that they do raid trashcans & eat scraps like dogs do.

im glad people like you have no say so in what our children eat & dont eat.
How about this: you go on food stamps and you lose your kids. Because if you can't provide for them you should not have them in the first place. Foodstamps are an easy out for lazy people not to have to get off their azzes and do for their family what they want the government to do instead. People are poor due to the poor choices they make.

As for the third world, you do realize that poverty is the norm throughout the world don't you? And why are you even concerned with kids to begin with? As a liberal you're undoubtedly pro-abortion so I know what your solution to poverty in the third world is.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:19 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
How about this: you go on food stamps and you lose your kids. Because if you can't provide for them you should not have them in the first place. Foodstamps are an easy out for lazy people not to have to get off their azzes and do for their family what they want the government to do instead. People are poor due to the poor choices they make.

As for the third world, you do realize that poverty is the norm throughout the world don't you? And why are you even concerned with kids to begin with? As a liberal you're undoubtedly pro-abortion so I know what your solution to poverty in the third world is.
Lose your kids because you need to go on food stamps? Yeah, that will work. You don't know what might have happened. You don't know the families background. How about that? With the economy the way it is, people are trying to find jobs but some cannot.

And no, foodstamps are not the easy way out for EVERYBODY. Some people do work. I have seen this. They work at places where they pay crappy wage. They NEED food stamps. What about the college student who is way in debt, trying to work and doing his/her studies? Not everyone is lazy.

I am concerned with kids. As you being anti choice, you seem to only care about kids when they are in the womb. Once they come out, you don't care. Typical hypocritical remarks from conservatives. Your sick and cruel comment about only allowing dog food to be purchased show us how "pro life" you really are. Sick. Yeah? What is your solution? Feed kids dog food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies