U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:33 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,087,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Knowing someone that did it. How is that a source for you
If you knew this person was cheating... did you report it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 11:40 AM

38,854 posts, read 20,111,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Disabilities...like ADD and alcoholism? I'm tired of paying for people who make bad lifestyle choices. Too many children, not enough education. It's time for people to take responsibility for their decisions. We all have access to public education k-12. the 'hand up' all too easily becomes a lifelong handout...one which is becoming more expensive to continue.
What about folks who have lost their jobs due to their employers going out of business or downsizing? What if these individuals have put in tons of effort to find another job but have not been able to due to our current economy? Should they be ineligible for government assistance, including food stamps?

What about folks in their 20's, 30's or 40's who have sustained severe injuries or health conditions (that are not caused by lifestyle choices) and cannot work? Should they be denied government assistance?

By the way, ADD is not a condition that is caused by poor lifestyle choices.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:53 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,295,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What about folks who have lost their jobs due to their employers going out of business or downsizing? What if these individuals have put in tons of effort to find another job but have not been able to due to our current economy? Should they be ineligible for government assistance, including food stamps?

What about folks in their 20's, 30's or 40's who have sustained severe injuries or health conditions (that are not caused by lifestyle choices) and cannot work? Should they be denied government assistance?

By the way, ADD is not a condition that is caused by poor lifestyle choices.
Exactly.

If you see someone well dressed pay for their groceries with food stamps and load them into a nice car you have no way of knowing what the situation really is. Maybe they used to make a lot of money and could afford a nice car and nice clothes but are now out of work and needing a little help while they are in between jobs. I think that it's unfair to judge people you see in line at the grocery store. You never know the whole story. There will always be a few people who take advantage of any system but for the most part people receiving food stamps are genuinely in need.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:41 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
This is the top organization that trains people to "game" the system.
It seems that you are not able to distinguish between making people aware of benefits that they are eligible for and "gaming the system".

Quote:
ACORN changes its name
It seems that your are not able to distinguish between ACORN and ACORN International either. What do you think accounts for these difficulties you are having?

Old 07-11-2009, 12:42 PM

11,921 posts, read 5,665,010 times
Quote:
It just seems to me that in the big picture.... this isn't a huge expense, provides a lot of benefit, and the fraud rate is apparently low.
The "big picture" is that the US House just voted another 80 BILLION dollars for food stamps alone (this country is pretty broke) - I consider that a "huge expense" (I wonder what the total expense per anum is?), but .... I don't live in a bankrupt state so we probably have different ideas about what "expense" is. Loose regulation have led to rampant abuse. It used to be that grocery clerks were trained about what was/was not allowed under the food stamp program - the user had to tell the clerk it was a FS purchase.

Now - it's a debit card for an amount at the end of checkout. That grocery tab itself is never reviewed by anyone. The reforms Clinton put in place in 1991 were all recinded in the 2008 "Stimulus" boondoggle. Fancy that.

We need programs to help those who have lost their jobs more than ever now but using the broken system we have is only going to make things worse. Raising taxes on business that will force them to shut down or move either to another state or off-shore is surely not the answer. It will perpetuate the un-employment situation. Situation is bad - soon to become worse.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:47 PM

11,921 posts, read 5,665,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It seems that you are not able to distinguish between making people aware of benefits that they are eligible for and "gaming the system".

It seems that your are not able to distinguish between ACORN and ACORN International either. What do you think accounts for these difficulties you are having?
Probably has something to do with me not being an employee or member of ACORN - the article was very clear about where ACORN got it's start and it's philosophy. I don't make this stuff up - it's all right there in black and white.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:55 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
I have a disabled neighbor friend. Sweet lady. Worked hard all her life. I use her food stamps to buy things for her. I am on her account to do this. Things are not always as they appear. In fact you could watch me get in my new truck.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Foodstamps used in restaurants has been allowed for years. Sure there are all kinds of "rules" about what the cards can be used for but nobody follows those because there is NO accountability. If a restaurant is on the approved list - it doesn't matter what the card is used for.
Well, first the restaurant has to be enrolled in the program and have a vendor account that can be reimbursed. To be enrolled, a restaurant must offer low-cost meals and be located in an area where the elderly, disabled, or homeless abide in sufficient numbers. Then the purchaser must have all of an EBT card, the right PIN, and a photo ID. It seems to me that you don't actually know anything about the program.

Quote:
This becomes fraud on a massive scale .... it's very expensive and worse - it perpetuates dependency which ultimately hurts the entire community.
What hurts a community worse is patterns of deliberate lying about the nature of needy people and those who work to address those needs.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Knowing someone that did it. How is that a source for you
Worthless.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I think that it's unfair to judge people you see in line at the grocery store. You never know the whole story.
Keep in mind that 99% of these alleged incidents never actually occurred to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies