Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,437,881 times

Advertisements

Some folks need to revisit their polysci classes and relearn the difference between Federal, State, and local politicians and their functions.

I'm not surprised though, that certain posters who obviously have a very tenuous grasp on politics claim Pelosi "controls" something. Then again, that's probably what they look for in their representatives, someone to control them and tell them how to think, so I suppose I shouldn't be entirely surprised that they project that type of thinking onto their opposition.

So yeah, the residents, the legislature, and the governor of California should all get a free pass, and we should scapegoat Nancy Pelosi instead! Makes perfect sense to me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,588,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Yes, she is. But she has nothing to do with California's budget problems. Also, Pelosi's views don't necessarily represent the majority of California. You also should keep in mind that the 8th district in California is one of the most left leaning districts in the state. The only Congressional districts in California that I'd say are more left-leaning than the 8th are the 9th and the 35th.
I get the impression that some people think California is all the same - that it's all just a bunch of radical liberals from Crescent City to El Centro.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 PM

785 posts, read 1,047,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I get the impression that some people think California is all the same - that it's all just a bunch of radical liberals from Crescent City to El Centro.
Your right. Alot of these people don't have any idea. If it weren't for the Bay Area and LA, California would be a red state. Orange County, San Diego, Inland Empire, Central Valley and Sacramento are all majority Republican areas.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:18 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,828,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Frankly I can't understand why anyone would allow Nancy Pelosi to speak for them. In my opinion, her home state of California is a perfect example of failed government policies and convoluted tax schemes. Why would anyone want this flawed model to be used to structure federal policies?

Is driving a government into bankruptcy a good thing or is my concern for fiscally-responsible decision making out of fashion?
The USA economic state is a model example of Republican policies. What about Florida is that Pelosi's doing as well? By the way who is Californias Governor? What party do they belong to?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Your right. Alot of these people don't have any idea. If it weren't for the Bay Area and LA, California would be a red state. Orange County, San Diego, Inland Empire, Central Valley and Sacramento are all majority Republican areas.
Oh, but that is changing, my friend. Sure, there are still very Republican areas, but did you know that San Diego County now has more registered Democrats than Republicans? Or that Obama won San Diego County 54-44?

SAN DIEGO COUNTY TURNS BLUE:Â* MORE REGISTERED DEMOCRATS THAN REPUBLICANS, REGISTRAR REPORTS | East County Magazine

San Bernardino and Sacramento Counties now have more Democrats than Republicans too.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/sov/...reg_totals.pdf

I'm going to stereotype you now. If you're in the Bay Area, there's a good chance that you're out of touch with Southern California politics. I know when I lived up there, the consensus among the people there seemed to be that everybody in Southern California is conservative and dumb.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Oh, but that is changing, my friend. Sure, there are still very Republican areas, but did you know that San Diego County now has more registered Democrats than Republicans? Or that Obama won San Diego County 54-44?

SAN DIEGO COUNTY TURNS BLUE:Â* MORE REGISTERED DEMOCRATS THAN REPUBLICANS, REGISTRAR REPORTS | East County Magazine

San Bernardino and Sacramento Counties now have more Democrats than Republicans too.

I'm going to stereotype you now. If you're in the Bay Area, you might be out of touch with Southern California. I know when I lived up there, the consensus among the people there seemed to be that everybody in Southern California is conservative and dumb.
I didn't remeber seeing the election returns for San Diego, Sacramento, San Bernadino or Riverside. I saw it for Orange County and McCain won but barely. It was something like 51-47. I know that Bush won all the counties that I mentioned in 2004. I remember reading an article about how Californias Northern/Southern political divide had turned into an Eastern/Western Divide. I actually don't live in CA at the moment. I moved from Long Beach right before the election, went to VA to campaign for Obama and am living abroad for the time being. I'm originally from the Bay Area but, like I said, I've lived in Long Beach as well. I've worked on plenty of political issues in SoCal and I know that almost all of LA County is very liberal, especially Hollywood, South Central, Compton, Ingelwood and Long Beach. Once you get out to Orange County it starts getting conservative; mainly fiscal conservatives but some social conservatives as well.

I see what you're saying about alot of people in the Bay Area think that SoCal is filled with a bunch of right-wingers. I didn't find this to be the case at all when I lived in SoCal. Most of the Congressmen/Congresswomen that are from the left wing of the Democratic party are from LA. I'd say that Maxine Waters, Linda and Loretta Sanchez, Hilda Solis (although she's now the Secretary of Labor) all lean to the left of Nancy Pelosi. The only districts in NorCal with real progressive representatives are the 6th (Lynn Woolsley) and the 9th (Barbara Lee).

Last edited by jfields; 07-11-2009 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 10:49 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,378,528 times
Quote:

I'm going to stereotype you now. If you're in the Bay Area, there's a good chance that you're out of touch with Southern California politics. I know when I lived up there, the consensus among the people there seemed to be that everybody in Southern California is conservative and dumb.
Truth be told.... when I first moved to San Jose from the East coast in 1994, I was surprised as to how conservative it was here. Still a Democratic majority but, still way more conservative than what I thought it would be. Never saw so many police patrols before in my life.

And, I guess I might be guilty as charged, I thought San Diego and Orange County were solidly conservative. And I mean Fox News like conservaitve. I don't get down south very often so you're right, I'm out of touch.

But the central valley still has their share

Old 07-11-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I didn't remeber seeing the election returns for San Diego, Sacramento, San Bernadino or Riverside.
If you're curious about the '08 results by county, take a look at this. I think you'll be pleased:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/sov/..._by_county.pdf

Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I thought San Diego and Orange County were solidly conservative.
No problem. You're hardly alone. I think the images of those places as conservation bastions is going to last a long time, even if they're incorrect.

I was very surprised, to be honest, about the San Diego County results for Obama. It was the first time a Democratic presidential candidate won a majority in that county - ever. And even though he lost Orange County, it wasn't by much: 50-48.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
If you're curious about the '08 results by county, take a look at this. I think you'll be pleased:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/sov/..._by_county.pdf
Wow you're right. He won every county in SoCal except for Orange. I was surprised at the margin that Obama won by in Sacramento too: 58-39. That's about a 20 point turnaround from 2004. But it still looks like NorCal still leans more to the left than SoCal. SF, Alameda, San Mateo, Santa Cruz and Sonoma were all 70% or more for Obama and the highest percent that Obama got in SoCal was in LA (68%). Thanks for sharing that with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies