U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,701,738 times

Advertisements

Texting Teen Falls Down Open Manhole (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/nyc/090710_Texting_Teen_Falls_Down_Open_Manhole - broken link)
Staten Island teen was texting while walking and fell through an open manhole. The workers had just removed the manhole cover and were in the process of getting the cones to block off the open manhole when she fell in. Naturally, her mother plans on suing,...probably to get a new dental work for herself judging by the video. Personally, if I were on this jury based upon what I see from this story, I'd would give her an award, but it wouldn't be much at all. She suffered no permanent or major injuries,...just scrapes and bruises. She was just as much at fault as the workers. The workers should be reprimanded and or put on suspension along with retraining. She, however, should pay attention to where she's putting her feet instead of sending off a pointless text message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 03:00 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,044,035 times
Slow news day?

- Reel

Old 07-12-2009, 11:32 AM

8,743 posts, read 10,282,639 times
You have got to be kidding me.

I am young (21) but yet, I don't see how people of my age can be so stupid.

I was driving my family to Canada where our relatives live. We were on Highway 401 when suddenly this car starts coming into my lane. I slam on my breaks and see gets back into her lane. Shes texting.

Why the hell would you ever risk your life or another persons life? Seriously?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 AM

79 posts, read 60,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Why the hell would you ever risk your life or another persons life? Seriously?
Risking another persons life is a okay with me.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:38 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,337,796 times
This is already posted here!

Family wants to sue NYC..

Old 07-12-2009, 11:38 AM

4,152 posts, read 9,844,677 times
LOL! wtf does "getting ready to text" mean exactly? What, is there some sort of ritual involved?!
honeypie, you are an idiot, but obviously your momma needs some braces, so obviously a lawsuit will ensue...<sigh>

Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,337,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Texting Teen Falls Down Open Manhole (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/nyc/090710_Texting_Teen_Falls_Down_Open_Manhole - broken link)
Staten Island teen was texting while walking and fell through an open manhole. The workers had just removed the manhole cover and were in the process of getting the cones to block off the open manhole when she fell in. Naturally, her mother plans on suing,...probably to get a new dental work for herself judging by the video. Personally, if I were on this jury based upon what I see from this story, I'd would give her an award, but it wouldn't be much at all. She suffered no permanent or major injuries,...just scrapes and bruises. She was just as much at fault as the workers. The workers should be reprimanded and or put on suspension along with retraining. She, however, should pay attention to where she's putting her feet instead of sending off a pointless text message.
The barrier is supoosed to UP before the manhole is opened. The barrier opens with chains on one side to allow the cover to be hooked and pulled open and for the insertion of the ladder and ventilation equipment. Once the worker enters the hole, he is to fasten the safety chains on the open side of the barrier. Procedures were not followed. The city pays.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:43 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,843,755 times
Default Duplicate Thread... surprise, surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post

Family wants to sue NYC..

Old 07-12-2009, 11:56 AM

26,817 posts, read 17,373,005 times
This is my take on it...
Manhole covers are in the gutters, not on the sidewalks. If this idiot was stupid enough to be texting while crossing the street, the fall into the manhole might have saved her from getting flattened by a truck. She should be reimbursing the city for her holding up and inconveniencing the workers that are on the city payroll. Of course they will make a settlement and ditzhead can buy the newest and best cell phone and take a trip to the Grand Canyon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies