Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,984,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
California is about to be bankrupt

....while Texas is thriving economically

End of story
But does not tell the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:04 PM

763 posts, read 1,295,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Yeah, if you like to operate with zero context. Some policies are good, other policies are bad, and saying "liberal bad, conservative good" is true is dumb as hell. Look at the policies and you might actually learn something (doubt you're gonna do this though).
Did I say anything about liberal and conservative?

... Didn't think so

Other states that are having problems might want to look to Texas and the business friendly climate... you guys might learn something

Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 PM

763 posts, read 1,295,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
But does not tell the story.
But it is the result

Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Rather than bashing Texas go re-analyze California and see where they went wrong.
Fix that instead.

And for all the additional taxes California creates they are no better off, are they ?
Give a government more money and they'll just p*ss it away that much quicker.
This is not directed strictly at California, but any US government entity.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 PM

354 posts, read 853,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Many, many industries - not just the oil industry - are strong in Texas. Actually learn something about Texas before making a comment like this next time.
Yes but a lot of cash flooded into Texas during the $4 gas days and I imagine a lot of that was invested in the Texas economy. I live in Warren County Pennsylvania which produces a lot of oil. Our economy is still really good here because of the money that was invested in our local economy during the oil bubble.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,058,371 times
I want to mention something that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread. It's pretty interesting to debate politics, the economy and all that but the one thing that really matters no matter what state you live in is hard work. Yes conservative/liberal politics affects us. The economy definitely affects us. There are a lot of factors that aren't within our control. You shouldn't worry too much about the things you can't change. The one thing you definitely have considerable control over is how successful or unsuccessful you are. Life is 98% hard work. Even if you live in a high tax state like CA, NY or MA if you work hard and have passion for something you will do well. If you live in a low tax state like TX but you lay on your a** all the time then you aren't going to amount to anything. I went to the San Jose/San Francisco area a few years back. The town I was staying in is named San Ramon. San Ramon is a very nice town. They really decked that town out with tons of nice looking landscaping. It was a very nice place to stay. Well I saw a lot of big, new houses in cookie cutter subdivisions in San Ramon. As expensive as CA is there seems to be a lot of people that can afford nice houses there. So it all goes back to what I said if you work hard you will be fine.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,603,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Any one else find it intersting to see how Texas's conservative economic policies have allowed Texas to prosper and weather the economic storm relatively well while California's liberal economic policies have basically bankrupted the state?
Illegal immigrants... illegal babies... Crime, poverty, crack and meth... Guns, whores, jails and pens!

Both states have plentiful amounts of these things. Texas weathers the storm better than California because its government has not been hijacked by spend-thrift activist liberals.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,896,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Any one else find it intersting to see how Texas's conservative economic policies have allowed Texas to prosper and weather the economic storm relatively well while California's liberal economic policies have basically bankrupted the state?
Apples and Oranges my friend. Apples and Oranges.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
How are wages in Walmartistan compared to California? Housing values? Even with all that oil the economy is smaller. I've actually lived in both, there is no comparison

Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I've actually lived in both, there is no comparison
How would you describe the differences between living in Texas and living in California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies