Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Anti-American tone?
I thought that's what you have; you hate liberals, etc.
The US is not the greatest country on earth. Its citizen think so, but I never see it ranking at the top of the list except for:

Teen Pregnancy Rates In The Usa | LIVESTRONG.COM
Highest teen pregnancy rate in an industrialized nation.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/US.html (broken link)
Look about 1/2 way down the page and see where the US really is.

Look at infant mortality rate; highest in the industrialized nations.

There are countries that provide health care and housing for all of its citizenry.
Your argument is trite.
Anti-American is the 'progressive' dynamic.
Please list for me any 'cause' you back that
does not have 'America sucks' as it's core.

Teen pregnancy exists in very high numbers in those industrialized havens.
Our infant mortality rate is mainly due to neglect not access.
Just what country is it that provides health care and housing for all
it's citizens that doesn't resemble the Soviet Union of decades ago.
And as long as 'teachers unions' not 'student unions' call the shots education will stay as it is.
I can only hope that one day these little nudges I suggest will become trite.
We are, this is the greatest nation on Gods green earth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'm not saying that anyone did anything "wrong" but there are a few examples of people who apparently failed to plan. The article relates the stories of people who made "good incomes" and got buyout packages, but still they find themselves in a state of woe.

I have 2 years of expenses in the bank to protect my family. Plus I got an education and built up a network of people that I can lean on if things get tough. Most of the people in the article don't appear to have done any of that to be so broke that they find themselves being foreclosed upon and living in a tent.

I'm sympathetic to their stories, but for the most part they can be summed up as people who thought the good times would never end, and they made no plans for that rainy day....and now it's pouring.
Wow, Neil, I agree.
I have no debt because I learned from my parents that life is difficult and not to waste or spend frivolously.
I learned that a small house with reasonable utility bills and nearby public transport is better than a large, utility sucking one.
I learned that the banks will tell me anything, but what is important is that I feel comfortable with what I'm spending on a house, utilities, etc.
I own two houses in an urban setting, neither cost that much and there's a lot of sweat equity in the maintenance, but I can afford that.
Like you, I have enough in liquid assets to live for a year or two.

The demand to keep uup with the Jones' was too great for people to pass up. Avarice demands a price be paid.
I don't understand why people ignore basic economics.

Do I feel sorry for them, to a point.
If they're that broke, they can probably qualify for Section 8 housing and food stamps as a stop gap.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
America is the greatest. We're number one in many categories.
Making $6 per hour is better than $2 per day.
I'm on your side. These people lose their jobs and homes, so what!
You can't discuss something seriously, so you contrast a reasoned argument with hyperbole. Fine...America sucks....we ought to be more like Switzerland. Happy now?

Just for the record....no one is happy that someone lost their home. That still doesn't make it anyone else's fault and it's not the fault of the country. Some people never should have owned a home in the first place, and hopefully we've learned the lesson that not everyone should be or is capable of being a homeowner.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:18 PM

817 posts, read 852,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
There are many reasons why people find themselves homeless. Being "lazy" or stupid is not one of them.

Some folks are very enterprising, it's true. This is in the "antiques" for sale section of Craigslist in my state:

ME (http://westernmass.craigslist.org/atq/1265704708.html - broken link)
So you're saying nobody has ever become homeless because they were lazy or stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies