Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

This is straight up sick.

Fringe church plans to picket Tech funerals
The group has previously appeared at funerals for those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.
BY KIMBALL PAYNE
247-4765
April 19, 2007, 12:10 PM EDT
A fringe church that has received attention and scorn for protesting the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq is planning to picket memorial services for those who died in Monday's massacre at Virginia Tech.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church have disrupted funerals with explicit signs blaming the war in Iraq on homosexuals. A church a news release says:

"The 33 massacred at Virginia Tech died for America's sins against WBC ( Westboro Baptist Church). Just as U.S. soldiers are dying in Iraq each day for America's sins against WBC."

Attorney General Bob McDonnell is warning protesters that they could be arrested for interrupting funerals. McDonnell's spokesman sent out an e-mail detailing the section of the Virginia Code that can be used to quell disturbances at funerals saying further that McDonnell "wants to ensure that those who perished on Monday receive the dignified and tranquil services that they, and their families, deserve."

The code section states that a person can be arrested for disorderly conduct for willfully disrupting any funeral or memorial service.

The group has threatened to protest at other events, but has not shown up.

Pastor Fred Phelps and his congregation at the church in Topeka, Kan., travel the country preaching damnation to a "nation of sinners,'" routinely glorying in the death of U.S soldiers.

His church of 75 people, many of them his relatives, believes that God causes the death of soldiers as punishment for a society that condones homosexuality.

They routinely carry signs that read "Thank God for IEDs," referring to the improvised explosive devices that have killed many service members in Iraq. The church's Web site is named "godhatesfags.'"

They have utterly offended state and federal lawmakers, who have passed laws aimed at curbing the protests. Congress passed a law that restricts demonstrations at national cemeteries and last year Gov. Timothy M. Kaine signed a bill making such protests in Virginia a misdemeanor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 12:49 PM

13 posts, read 54,451 times
They are just looking for attention and are possible as sick and disturbed as the shooter.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrSouth View Post
They are just looking for attention and are possible as sick and disturbed as the shooter.
in my view they are even worse than the shooter.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,461 times
Default Cult?

They should not even call themselves a church. A lunatic cult would be more descriptive. Their actions are despicable and as a Baptist I am personally offended they would refer to themselves as a Baptist Church. Hopefully, they will be thrown in jail or be disbanded before they cause further harm.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
They should not even call themselves a church. A lunatic cult would be more descriptive. Their actions are despicable and as a Baptist I am personally offended they would refer to themselves as a Baptist Church. Hopefully, they will be thrown in jail or be disbanded before they cause further harm.
i'm offfended that they call themselves christians period speaking as a pentecostal.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:14 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post

I am a Baptist too and totally agree with you. This guy and his loonies are nothing but Satanic nuts, definitely a cult. I cannot believe what I just read on the net about this bunch.

I live a pretty sheltered life even at my age, and I'm absolutely horrified at new things I hear about every day that are happening in this country. It's disgusting and unforgiveable, and they will get their reward ~~ in Hell.

I am so ready for the return of our Savior.

Last edited by KewGee; 04-19-2007 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: add a line

Old 04-19-2007, 06:25 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Back in the early 1990's I remember when Fred Phelps and his grandkids would stand on the street corner in Topeka, KS with picket signs which read, "****=AIDS" and "GOD HATES HOMOSEXUALS". His small baptist church went national and just got weirder and weirder.

In the summer, Fred Phelps used to wear those spandex shorts that bicycle racers wear. One time we were driving by and I leaned out my window and yelled, "HEY FRED! Love those spandex shorts! Nice @ss you are showing off there!! Woo-hooo!" He started yelling and spittle was flying out of his mouth. I laughed and showed him my toungue in a lewd gesture.

What can I say, I was a crazy college kid.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:54 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Back in the early 1990's I remember when Fred Phelps and his grandkids would stand on the street corner in Topeka, KS with picket signs which read, "****=AIDS" and "GOD HATES HOMOSEXUALS". His small baptist church went national and just got weirder and weirder.

In the summer, Fred Phelps used to wear those spandex shorts that bicycle racers wear. One time we were driving by and I leaned out my window and yelled, "HEY FRED! Love those spandex shorts! Nice @ss you are showing off there!! Woo-hooo!" He started yelling and spittle was flying out of his mouth. I laughed and showed him my toungue in a lewd gesture.

What can I say, I was a crazy college kid.
Hahhahaha

/applaud

Old 04-19-2007, 06:57 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Just as U.S. soldiers are dying in Iraq each day for America's sins against WBC."
If it weren't for the soldiers, these sorry a***s wouldn't have the freedom to roam the streets at all! Because of the soldiers these a**holes have a place to sleep at night! You're right....as bad as the shooter, if not worse!

Our hearts are with anyone and everyone affected by this recent tragedy!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
Horrible. Really horrible. I would definitely NOT say as bad as the shooter though. No one's life has been snuffed out because of them. No one's daughter killed, husband killed. But really horrible nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies