Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Crickets.

You won't get liberals to answer this question because they know it will be turned around and used against them. Even libs know that Olberman and Maddow are pieces of sh*t journalists.
So do you have your filter turned on, I saw several responses prior your statement above? Oh, wait, they are nbot the responses you wanted or expected so they obviously do not register.
Jeez people, Who Frigging cares which "entertainer" you watch, listen to or buy books from. None of them are politiicans so hence they are not in charge of anything, if they were so good at the game they would be running for office and attempting to actually do something. Instead what you have are people that feed their sheep (no matter which side it it) what they want to hear and cashing in on them, looks like the right will be getting a new talking head, Palin, she sees the potential for making Big bucks while avoiding the real work that needs to be done. Listen to them is you want, just never forget who these people really are and what their true agenda is, money.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
No, they do not. At least I do not. They are not representative of most people.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So do you have your filter turned on, I saw several responses prior your statement above? Oh, wait, they are nbot the responses you wanted or expected so they obviously do not register.
Jeez people, Who Frigging cares which "entertainer" you watch, listen to or buy books from. None of them are politiicans so hence they are not in charge of anything, if they were so good at the game they would be running for office and attempting to actually do something. Instead what you have are people that feed their sheep (no matter which side it it) what they want to hear and cashing in on them, looks like the right will be getting a new talking head, Palin, she sees the potential for making Big bucks while avoiding the real work that needs to be done. Listen to them is you want, just never forget who these people really are and what their true agenda is, money.
Casper
Nope. No filter on. I'm waiting for the mass of responses that Hannity and O'Reilly get when someone posts a thread on those individuals . Relative to those threads, the response to this question is indeed mere "crickets."

Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I've wondered this for a while. Do liberals on this forum listen to their side's commentators as much as conservatives here listen to theirs? Just curious. I didn't want to hijack the Olbermann thread.
I consider myself left of center and I don't watch them much... I don't seek them out but may watch if I happen to be watching tv and there is something interesting going on... I don't think liberals have a need for heroes like the *beleagured* conservatives do...

Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
I think that liberals are just basically different than the neo cons....not the old fashioned conservatives but the neo cons. Liberals, by and large, recognize that television is for entertainment...not serious information gathering. They recognize that those "talking head" types on tv and radio are entertainers who shape their message to fit the audience that will pay them. To actually take what talking heads on either side say as "gospel" would be laughable to the typical liberal.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
I think the reason conservative radio / tv is so popular amongst its base is because it is an ideology that deals in absolutes, so it's easy to say "this is right, that is wrong" or "I am right, he is wrong".

Conservatives essentially hate all government intervention (except in the bedroom), so it makes for very easy message delivery.

Liberalism is far more of a nuanced ideology. It accepts the role of government, but no one wants to see everything controlled by the government, so it becomes an issue of degrees and therefore harder to rally people around a simple, basic concept with tears and Nazis marching in the background.

The reason Obama is so popular is because he is very comfortable in engaging that nuance - delivering seemingly contradictory values simultaneously (though not actually contradictory, just not "with us or against us" black-and-white views like Bush).

I suspect this is why NPR is so popular amongst the educated liberal set. It avoids an ideology and explores all sides of issues. I've found this is much more interesting to liberals than simply regurgitating what they already believe.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
The "talking heads" on the far right are masters of inciting strong, negative emotion in their viewers. Those on the left are much more "mild mannered" and tend to use humor, rather than "incite to violence". . . I have watched both, and that is my honest opinion!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Crickets.

You won't get liberals to answer this question because they know it will be turned around and used against them. Even libs know that Olberman and Maddow are pieces of sh*t journalists.
I don't own cable. Go.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Do liberals watch Olbermann/Maddow as much as Conservatives watch Hannity/Beck ?

Watch as much, probably not. Believe there rhetoric to be 100% accurate and spew it on messages boards, absolutely not.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:31 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Liberals are much more open to other sides of issues. Thats why they listen to NPR (which, like mentioned above explores ALL sides of issues rather than having a pointed opinion such as Hannity, or Beck). Thats also why liberals dabble in conservative radio/TV. Generally speaking, liberals want to hear all sides of an issue while conservatives do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies