U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-14-2009, 12:11 PM

8,193 posts, read 7,118,829 times
So, a cross on a t-shirt is immflammatory to some posters? If these people at the festival are so thin skinned that they cannot abide christian symbols then they are the ones with the problem.
And really - 12 security guys for two videocameras? What is wrong with them?
I have no idea if this guy and his friends were going to ask a legitimate question or not - but the fact remains that they have the right to do just that at a street fair. Yes, just like a muslim group would have the same right to ask uncomfortable quesitons at a christian street fair. Freed Speech is not just for 'good' causes and it should be protected even if it hurts some feelings. In short Dearborn Arab Street Fair you need to man up about it or have your fair on private property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-14-2009, 12:17 PM

19,556 posts, read 10,638,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
So, a cross on a t-shirt is immflammatory to some posters? If these people at the festival are so thin skinned that they cannot abide christian symbols then they are the ones with the problem.
And really - 12 security guys for two videocameras? What is wrong with them?
I have no idea if this guy and his friends were going to ask a legitimate question or not - but the fact remains that they have the right to do just that at a street fair. Yes, just like a muslim group would have the same right to ask uncomfortable quesitons at a christian street fair. Freed Speech is not just for 'good' causes and it should be protected even if it hurts some feelings. In short Dearborn Arab Street Fair you need to man up about it or have your fair on private property.
Good post and something lost on some posters defending this behavior....

Unread 07-14-2009, 12:22 PM

30,599 posts, read 10,551,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
As it so happens the guy wasn't representing any particular religious group nor was he there to be controversial. He simply went to ask a question at a booth and was met with resistance and hands over a camera lens.
You'd like to believe in this BS. The very first thought that came to my mind within first few seconds was... this guy is dressed to be confrontational. Now, what he wears wouldn't matter if he didn't use a religious pamphlet to propagate his plan at the event.

Quote:
They obviously didn't want to answer any questions on camera and that immediately sends up a red flag for me because that shows nefarious intentions.
More BS.

Quote:
Instead he's met with liars, and obfuscation of the truth which is so typical of fringe groups that have something to hide.
Like the arm chair tigers on teh internets.

Unread 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Like a gay person wearing a rainbow t-shirt, carrying a pamphlet on a sensitive issue at an extremely conservative Christian gathering. If you think everybody will be just fine, allow me to break it to you... the person will not be welcome.

Quote:
I have no idea if this guy and his friends were going to ask a legitimate question or not - but the fact remains that they have the right to do just that at a street fair.
They have the right, and so the people who refused to be recorded. Agreed? You don't stalk people either, that's harassment.

Quote:
In short Dearborn Arab Street Fair you need to man up about it or have your fair on private property.
So, I can stop you on a public street to interview (whether you like it or not), or continue to record your moves, and you'd have no issue with me. Agreed?

Unread 07-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Again what law was broken by those recording?

Unread 07-14-2009, 12:37 PM

8,193 posts, read 7,118,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Like a gay person wearing a rainbow t-shirt, carrying a pamphlet on a sensitive issue at an extremely conservative Christian gathering. If you think everybody will be just fine, allow me to break it to you... the person will not be welcome.

They have the right, and so the people who refused to be recorded. Agreed? You don't stalk people either, that's harassment.

So, I can stop you on a public street to interview (whether you like it or not), or continue to record your moves, and you'd have no issue with me. Agreed?
Let me be clear -- if your fair is on public property then the organizers of said fair do not have the right to discriminate against fairgoers based on religion/ethnicity/sexual orientation/or race.
If the people at the fair are so fragile that they cannot abide a cross t-shirt or a rainbow pride t-shirt (and btw, do you think that would have been welcomed at this street fair any better the cross t-shirt?) or a red crescent t-shirt then they ought to consider having their party on private property.
See - public means just that. Anyone can come. Anyone can videotape. Now, the people have a right to say that they don't wish to be recorded but the proper way to have handled that would have been to notify security and ask that these people not be allowed to tape you. That (apparently) wasn't done. What was done was accusing the videographer of attempting to prosylitize. He wasn't with that group.

So man up Dearborn Arab Festival! And the same goes to any and all Chritian Festivals/Heterosexual Marriage Festivals/KKK Festivals/and whatever the hell Festival - if you are on public land then be prepared to deal with the public at large and not just the ones you like.

Unread 07-14-2009, 12:52 PM

2,790 posts, read 3,673,490 times
Seems to me there is plenty of blame on both sides. At the beginning of the video, the young man (David Wood?) clearly states he is there reporting. In all honesty, and I have been watching the news for a long time now, I have never seen a serious reporter interview someone from KKK while wearing a Black Power t-shirt or someone interview a Holocaust survivor dressed as a neo-nazi. Have a little sensitivity and a little decorum, please. If he intended this to be a serious documentary, he should not have gone in dressed in a provocative manner. If he was, in fact, wanting to make a serious documentary and not be confrontational, why did he not approach the organizer of the booth and ask to do an interview away from the throng where there would not be so much distraction? This kind of ambush journalism, perfected by the paparazzi, is designed for one purpose only: to make the reporting the issue and not the content of the story.

That being said, the choice for security must have been made by the same person who hired security for the Rolling Stones' Altamont concert. They were out of line and out of control. This festival had the blessing of City of Dearborn (as it has had for the past 14 years). I am sure the sponsors, who include Air France, Charter One Bank, Comerica Bank, Comcast, DTE Energy, Daimler Chrysler, Ford, Oakwood Hospital, Ikea, and the Central Intelligence Agency, are not advocating 'that' brand of Islam, whatever 'that' means.

As stated by another poster, the point of the festival is to celebrate culture and diveristy. To my way of thinking, free speech was not the issue here as much as being a disruptive and confrontational force. My church has several festivals during the year, as do many churches. I can't imagine any appreciating the Acts 17 Apologetics attending and suggesting they are the wrong brand of Christianity. Proselytizing has its place. A family-oriented community street fair is not appropriate.

Unread 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM

One celebrates diversity by not allowing any diverse beliefs or opinions...

Interesting.

Unread 07-14-2009, 01:12 PM

3,037 posts, read 2,622,343 times
I didn't see much diversity and they weren't celebrating it. They were celebrating THEIR OWN heritage. There is nothing wrong with that either. There are festivals celebrating everyone's heritage in almost every place in this country. However, to say they were celebrating diversity isn't really accurate.

That being said, this was an Arab festival where I am sure there were Christian Arabs in attendance as well. The booth where the interviewer was targeting set themselves up with their "Got questions? We have answers" about Islam. They may have meant well and I actually respect the fact they did this. However, if they set up a booth at a public affair why would they be against being recorded? If they didn't want to be recorded, and that is their right, why the physical attacks?

I agree that the purpose of the video can be seen as an intent to provoke. However, they had no right in forcing the videographer to stop. It was a public place and there are no laws about videotaping. They could have easily gotten their message across if they weren't thuggish in their actions.

Unread 07-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Let me be clear -- if your fair is on public property then the organizers of said fair do not have the right to discriminate against fairgoers based on religion/ethnicity/sexual orientation/or race.
I see no discrimination. Where do you? The person was allowed to be at the fair, just not to shove the camera/questions at people who didn't want to be a part of it. Do you really believe he was the only non-Arab at the fair? That will be a ridiculous assumption.

Quote:
If the people at the fair are so fragile that they cannot abide a cross t-shirt or a rainbow pride t-shirt (and btw, do you think that would have been welcomed at this street fair any better the cross t-shirt?) or a red crescent t-shirt then they ought to consider having their party on private property.
As long as the person being insensitive is not being nosy, I don't see an issue either. That was not the case. He started with a confrontational attitude and when you do that, you reap what you sow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies