Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,602,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I see no discrimination. Where do you? The person was allowed to be at the fair, just not to shove the camera/questions at people who didn't want to be a part of it. Do you really believe he was the only non-Arab at the fair? That will be a ridiculous assumption.

What is a ridiculous assumption is attempting to say that I thought the videographer was the only non Arab at the fair. Please - do show where I said that
As long as the person being insensitive is not being nosy, I don't see an issue either. That was not the case. He started with a confrontational attitude and when you do that, you reap what you sow.
Furthermore, after he was ejecting from the booth he was still being bullied about being there. Had Security or better yet the cops told him that the people supporting that particular booth didn't want him back in there but he was free to go about his business we wouldn't be having this discussion. Instead the Security for the event based on the complaint (perhaps justified perhaps not) of one booth made this guy leave then entire event. That is what I think is wrong - not people refusing to be taped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:27 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,802,876 times

YouTube - Arab Fest 2009: The Unedited Footage

Old 07-14-2009, 02:32 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,720,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping!
What is a ridiculous assumption is attempting to say that I thought the videographer was the only non Arab at the fair. Please - do show where I said that
Ahem... Was there another point to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping!
Let me be clear -- if your fair is on public property then the organizers of said fair do not have the right to discriminate against fairgoers based on religion/ethnicity/sexual orientation/or race.
Now explain, what exactly was your point of bringing this up in the ongoing discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Furthermore, after he was ejecting from the booth he was still being bullied about being there. Had Security or better yet the cops told him that the people supporting that particular booth didn't want him back in there but he was free to go about his business we wouldn't be having this discussion. Instead the Security for the event based on the complaint (perhaps justified perhaps not) of one booth made this guy leave then entire event. That is what I think is wrong - not people refusing to be taped.
By then, he'd earned the right to be seen as a nuisance. If you've been told NO, get moving as opposed to being confrontational or else learn to bear the consequences.

Now, do you believe he was the only guy with a camera, recording stuff at the fair?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 PM

Einstein,let me get this straight.

If a member of the public goes to a event open to the public and annoys someone manning a booth specifically set up to answer questions,they deserve to be assaulted If they do not leave when told to by another member of the public.

Is that about it?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,720,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Einstein,let me get this straight.

If a member of the public goes to a event open to the public and annoys someone manning a booth specifically set up to answer questions,they deserve to be assaulted If they do not leave when told to by another member of the public. Is that about it?
Yes. He wasn't being tossed out when he got in. His actions got him kicked. He had his rights, and so did they. Deal with it.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,332,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I didn't see much diversity and they weren't celebrating it. They were celebrating THEIR OWN heritage.
Do you think all European cultures are the same? All Asian cultures? All African cultures? Why would you assume that all Arabic cultures are the same? There is great diversity. And just to be clear; not all Arabic cultures are Muslim; just as not all Muslims are Arabic.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 PM

507 posts, read 676,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I didn't see much diversity and they weren't celebrating it. They were celebrating THEIR OWN heritage. There is nothing wrong with that either. There are festivals celebrating everyone's heritage in almost every place in this country. However, to say they were celebrating diversity isn't really accurate.

That being said, this was an Arab festival where I am sure there were Christian Arabs in attendance as well. The booth where the interviewer was targeting set themselves up with their "Got questions? We have answers" about Islam. They may have meant well and I actually respect the fact they did this. However, if they set up a booth at a public affair why would they be against being recorded? If they didn't want to be recorded, and that is their right, why the physical attacks?

I agree that the purpose of the video can be seen as an intent to provoke. However, they had no right in forcing the videographer to stop. It was a public place and there are no laws about videotaping. They could have easily gotten their message across if they weren't thuggish in their actions.
This is an Arab festival. Arab does not equal a singular culture. There are Arabs in Syria, Iran, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Egypt, etc. Each of these places have distinct cultures and histories. So yes, that is diversity.

The main issue I have with the film, besides the large amount of editing, is the fact that they clearly had an agenda going into this. I don't believe they were innocently trying to get answers. I believe they were trying to use this situation to promote their own agenda. It is one thing if you are genuinely interested in Islam, and have sincere questions, it is another thing if you have preconceived notions of Islam and those "questions" are used to promote negative stereotypes about the religion.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yes. He wasn't being tossed out when he got in. His actions got him kicked. He had his rights, and so did they. Deal with it.
How do you get 'kicked out' from a public street?

What rights of their were infringed?
You keep 'forgetting' to post that....

Old 07-14-2009, 02:40 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,165,661 times
You people should go back and look at the video. The man at the booth did not have any problem with the questions or the camera. It was security that stopped the camera and they had nothing to do with booth. If this was like most events security was an outside contractor approved by the city.
Why are you people trying to pin this on the guy with the booth?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
The main issue I have with the film, besides the large amount of editing, is the fact that they clearly had an agenda going into this. I don't believe they were innocently trying to get answers. I believe they were trying to use this situation to promote their own agenda. It is one thing if you are genuinely interested in Islam, and have sincere questions, it is another thing if you have preconceived notions of Islam and those "questions" are used to promote negative stereotypes about the religion.
Who cares what their agenda may or may not have been,when does having an agenda allow others to assault you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies