Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:58 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So - If you felt imtimidated by Baptists you think it would be OK to go to a Baptist church carrying a fifth of whiskey to drink during the service to show them you can?

Why would you go somewhere that you felt intimidated in the first place unless you were there for the express purpose of starting trouble?
The church would be private property, the street is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Aren't devout Muslims quite adamant about avoiding graven images, which would mean that they do not want their pictures taken because they consider it an affront to Allah? Read the Ten Commandments. It's in there.

Did anyone there bother to ask why they didn't want their pictures taken? I didn't see it if it was in the video. It may have had to do not with the fact that they didn't want what they said to be off the record, but that they were afraid of offending God by allowing themselves to be photographed.

The clowns with the camera should do a little research into other religions and cultures before they assume anything.

Likewise some of the posters on this board.
We aren't a theocracy. Their beliefs aren't laws. And now, the 10 Commandments do not ban photography. Worshiping those images is prohibited by them.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
And they did.

The answer was, "No Cameras".

What's so hard to understand about that?
Actually not....and even if they did,it matters little because it is NOT their right to tell others what to do.

Freedom of speech,pretty simple huh?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
I've got to agree with Oz here. This festival was being held on PUBLIC streets. Apparently, there were no rules against having cameras at this event. Can you imagine any other type of festival held on public streets where security strongarms someone with a camera filming someone in a booth? The guy was not being obnoxious, he was not being intrusive, he simply was filming people at a public festival. The security people overreacted and came off looking like a goon squad. Bad move and bad press esp. when Muslims and Arabs can hardly afford any more damage to their public image.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,602,859 times
This video so sickens me...to think this happens in our country...sad.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
This is an Islamic festival, not an Arab festival

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I've got to agree with Oz here. This festival was being held on PUBLIC streets. Apparently, there were no rules against having cameras at this event. Can you imagine any other type of festival held on public streets where security strongarms someone with a camera filming someone in a booth? The guy was not being obnoxious, he was not being intrusive, he simply was filming people at a public festival. The security people overreacted and came off looking like a goon squad. Bad move and bad press esp. when Muslims and Arabs can hardly afford any more damage to their public image.
Islam is actually the most popular religion in the world, if anything Christianity and Catholicism have a damaged public image

Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Lets not bring up pedophilia....wouldn't want to have to bring up Mohammed marrying and having sex with a prepubescent girl.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Lets not bring up pedophilia....wouldn't want to have to bring up Mohammed marrying and having sex with a prepubescent girl.
I wasn't defending Islam. I was just pointing out the fact that it's the most popular religion in the world, and that Christianity and Catholicism have a more tarnished image internationally. I'm Agnostic so I really couldn't give a rat's behind. I see that this thread is going to be turning into a hate thread so as my status says, I will be "educating the masses"

Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Actually not....and even if they did,it matters little because it is NOT their right to tell others what to do.

Freedom of speech,pretty simple huh?
And it's their right to decline to speak in front of a camera, pretty simple huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies