Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's the exact article I was thinking of when I posted. Smaller repair stations and FBOs are much safer than larger commercial airlines. Every single one of the mechanics I work with are A&P certified, and if we have to send any of our aircraft out for service we do a rigorous audit before letting them touch our planes. Most private FBO's and private repair stations are similar. I don't trust large airlines.
I fly a Piper Malibu - and I could not agree with you more! When my aircraft is in for its 100 hr or the annual - the aircraft is gone over with a fine tooth comb - and if an item is deficient - it gets fixed. Period. No question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:58 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
With one thing after the other going wrong with aircrafts anymore I have flown less and less. But when a hole opens up in the roof of a plane that's enough for me. I love to travel but until the FAA gets their #$% act together and starts doing honest to gosh real inspections on each and every plane and taking those not safe for travel off the grid I am not flying anymore. I hate it that one of my kids must fly a lot because the Army says so. This is getting downright scary.
But statistically....

Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Remember when they used to sell 'flight insurance' at airports?
And you could take a machine gun in your carry on!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's about the lack of control you have when flying.
and the illusion of control you have when you're driving.
so you'd rather have personal control of something, and be more likely to die doing it, then have less control, but have it be safer?
sounds like a mental issue, more than a physical safety issue.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
But there's a greater chance of surviving an accident on the ground versus thousands of feet in the air...not to mention, having more control (can stop anytime, etc.).
But that doesn't matter. The fact is, your more likely to die or be injured driving your car then flying. No matter how good of a driver you are. That's it.

A quick google search and:

Are Airplanes Safe?
Cars have .94 deaths per 100 million miles traveled, while trains have .04 deaths and planes and buses each came out the same with .01 deaths per 100 million miles traveled.

and how about:
CAUSES OF DEATH

Motor vehicle fatalities are the leading cause of death for people between ages 1-29, and the rate is particularly high between the ages of 15-24. A 16-year-old has 3 times the crash risk of an 18-year-old and 7 times the crash risk of a 25-year-old.

The leading cause! Why aren't you decrying the lack of safety due to cars on our population?

Humans aren't very good at risk perception. Rare catostraphic events such as airplane crashes are totally over-estimated versus themore common causes of death, injury, and disease.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:56 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
If you're worried for your safety so much, then you should stop driving too. It's far more dangerous than flying.
Deadly auto accidents are so commonplace that it is no longer newsworthy to report on them all. Instead the media sensationalize every airplane and train accident even thought they are far safer than sharing the road with all those idiots who gab or text on their cell phones and/or drive while intoxicated.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:58 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's about the lack of control you have when flying.
How much control do you have when a texting teenager slams head-on into your vehicle because he/she wasn't paying attention to the signal changes?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
you miss out on alot being a homebody. the good news you can grow tomatoes.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Deadly auto accidents are so commonplace that it is no longer newsworthy to report on them all. Instead the media sensationalize every airplane and train accident even thought they are far safer than sharing the road with all those idiots who gab or text on their cell phones and/or drive while intoxicated.
auto injuries, cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, cancer, suicide, respiratory disease, diabetes, alzheimers.
man, that stuff is boring. the real problem is those few people who die every year from airplanes!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:28 PM
LML LML started this thread

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
auto injuries, cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, cancer, suicide, respiratory disease, diabetes, alzheimers.
man, that stuff is boring. the real problem is those few people who die every year from airplanes!

Oh great. Now you have me afraid of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies