Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:09 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times

Advertisements

Now this is yet another thing I object to: (italics mine)

"their adjusted gross income (modified to include tax-exempt interest and certain other sources of income)"

What the.....???!!!!!!!

Like quite a few other Americans my investments include tax-free municipal bonds (which, I might add, have lost no more than 5% of their value even during the worst phases of the economic mess we are in; currently they are less than 1% down from their June 2008 value).

Almost $10,000 (one-third or more) of my yearly income is from the interest generated by these tax-exempt bond funds. But this bill would INCLUDE that in my AGI in order to generate a larger 2.5 penalty for not buying their forced health insurance plan???!!!!!

Okay, now I am really steamed up. Not only are they trying to take away my freedom of choice regarding whether I have health insurance by fining me for not complying, but also making tax-exempt income NOT tax-exempt for purposes of said fine?

Time for a modern-day Boston Tea Party, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Read page 3 for those caveats.

Obama voters would be exempt from the penalty - those not having to file a tax return.
premium for plans offered in the exchanges.
Riiiiiight! 53% of us voted for Obama, and none of us pay taxes. It is well known that many low-income people are Republicans, as well.

GOP Elites Fall Out of Love With Palin's Crowd | Newsweek Politics | Newsweek.com

Old 07-15-2009, 11:14 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Two example of single-payer HC systems, both run by our efficient, effective government;

VA admits its failure to give female veterans proper care | McClatchy

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Department of Veterans Affairs often fails to provide adequate medical care to female military veterans, five of them told the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Tuesday.

A Veterans Affairs official agreed.

"At the root is a system that has not been responsive to the needs of women veterans," said Patricia Hayes, the department's national director of women's health care.
PROMISES, PROMISES: Indian health care's victims - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090615/ap_on_go_ot/us_health_care_s_forgotten - broken link)

Quote:
Ta'Shon's pain rapidly worsened and she visited the clinic about 10 more times over several months before her lung collapsed and she was airlifted to a children's hospital in Denver. There she was diagnosed with terminal cancer, confirming the suspicions of family members

Ta'Shon's story is not unique in the Indian Health Service system, which serves almost 2 million American Indians in 35 states.

On some reservations, the oft-quoted refrain is "don't get sick after June," when the federal dollars run out. It's a sick joke, and a sad one, because it's sometimes true, especially on the poorest reservations where residents cannot afford health insurance. Officials say they have about half of what they need to operate, and patients know they must be dying or about to lose a limb to get serious care.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:44 PM

Even the obama media is giving it a thumbs down.

washingtonpost.com

Quote:
Pretending that "the rich" alone can fund government, let alone the kind of activist government that the president and Congress envision, is bad policy any way you look at it.
They can't pay for it all. And remember, this is just a starting point of taxation. If the system finds they are having cost over runs, the taxes will go up, but not just for the "rich".

Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 PM

Does the House really want to raise taxes on eight million uninsured people?*|*KeithHennessey.com

Does the House really want to raise taxes on eight million uninsured people?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:43 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Even the obama media is giving it a thumbs down.

washingtonpost.com

They can't pay for it all. And remember, this is just a starting point of taxation. If the system finds they are having cost over runs, the taxes will go up, but not just for the "rich".
Obama media??

Akre v Fox News.

Lest those out there forget, 70% of Americans favort a government run system as competition for our private sector disaster.

And, also NO taxes are raised on those earning less than $250K per year.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:41 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Here is the Democratic payback to big Pharma's lobbying:

"But one proposal makes reform more expensive. An amendment added late Monday would bar generic versions of high-tech biologic drugs for 12 years - almost twice what Obama wants.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. What happened to the cost savings?

Read more: House's $1.5 trillion health care remedy hits the rich the hardest

Old 07-15-2009, 07:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
Better speak up quick - looks like the House is getting ready for the vote on the healthcare plan within the next week or so.

Quote:
House Democratic leaders, pledging to meet the president's goal of health care legislation before their August break, are offering a $1.5 trillion plan that for the first time would make health care a right and a responsibility for all Americans. Left to pick up most of the tab were medical providers, employers and the wealthy. My Way News - House bill would make health care a right
Quote:
The legislation calls for a 5.4 percent tax increase on individuals making more than $1 million a year, with a gradual tax beginning at $280,000 for individuals. Employers who don't provide coverage would be hit with a penalty equal to 8 percent of workers' wages, with an exemption for small businesses. Individuals who decline an offer of affordable coverage would pay 2.5 percent of their incomes as a penalty, up to the average cost of a health insurance plan.
The liberal-leaning plan lacked figures on total costs, but a House Democratic aide said the total bill would add up to about $1.5 trillion over 10 years. The aide spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the private calculations. My Way News - House bill would make health care a right
Yep, let;'s follow other countries where it is not working there.....
just one story of many.....Bookworm Room » Britain begins outsourcing health care — to the patients

Old 07-15-2009, 07:14 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Better speak up quick - looks like the House is getting ready for the vote on the healthcare plan within the next week or so.

Yep, let;'s follow other countries where it is not working there.....
just one story of many.....Bookworm Room » Britain begins outsourcing health care — to the patients

Even if the article is true, it still beats zero health care.

And we're still back to the fact that every country (industrialized; I know not US for long) which has a gov't run program is more satisfied with their system than we are with ours.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 PM

House Plans to Tax Millionaires to Fund Health Care - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20090715/pl_bloomberg/a6fujb5nwlde_1 - broken link)

Quote:
Lawmakers are waiting for the Congressional Budget Office to determine how much the bill will cost. The nonpartisan agency said in a partial and preliminary analysis that the plan would run to more than $1 trillion over 10 years and reduce the number of uninsured by roughly 37 million. The agency said that by 2019 some 17 million people -- about half of them illegal immigrants -- would lack coverage.
The $1 trillion does not include all the costs associated with the bill. You can bet, it will run at least $1.5 trillion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies