Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If You Won A $100 Million Dollar Jack Pot Lottery, Would You Still Continue To Shop At Wal-Mart And
YES 104 75.91%
NO 33 24.09%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:52 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I tried out the "support my local hardware store" once when I was new to my area. I walked in there, needed a screw to bolt back into my wakeboard but did not know the exactly length/name/dimension. I was met with total disdain (I assume because I was mechanically orientied) and scoffs the whole time the owner helped me find the right one as if, heaven forbid, I inconvienenced him with my problem. The layout was absurb, criss crossing all over the store to look for different sizes.

In the end, it wasn't the right size, I walked into Lowes, every screw of the same style was laid out in a line, didn't even need help, I just grab one of each size that was close and problem solved.

I'm not saying this is all small shops, but it is fictious to assume that you automatically receive better service at mom and pop shops.
Well, I'll say that the customer service that I have encountered at the chain stores is pretty horrendous. Those people could give a crap about doing their job. To tie it up w/your story, I go to the local hardware store on Brady St. here & have always been met w/nice people. Sure, there's exceptions for both scenarios, but on average customer service in chain stores is totally subpar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:55 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
I don't shop at WM so of course, I wouldn't start if I had a million dollars. I love Target, so I would. Acutally, not. If I won millions, I'd be living on a desert island. I'd be ordering from them and they could drop it on my island, I guess.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:57 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
\

The federal government did a study about the impact on local businesses when Wal-Mart comes to town, and did NOT find that the impact was consistently negative.
Oh, and we should certainly trust everything the federal governmnet says. Of course.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:59 AM

769 posts, read 887,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
but on average customer service in chain stores is totally subpar.

I'm not contending this, I was just saying that mom and pop stores can have their nightmares too, and then there isn't a manager you can ask for.

Heh, one arena Wal-Mart wins hands down is returns, they'll take anything back for cash, no questions. Always had too much shame to do it myself, but some of my college buddies returned a futon after using it for a full year, full refund.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:02 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,728 times
I love Wal-mart and though I do shop at Target once in a while, I find them overpriced and the items pretty cheaply made. I've had many items I bought there break (one toy broke and I wasn't even down the street yet!) and taking them back is a hassle because of Target's return policies. Wal-Mart on the other hand, will take anything back. Yeah, Wal-Mart!

I've read that a lot of every day people become millionaires not only because they run businesses, etc, but because they are frugal with their money.

As for myself, I would definately still shop at Wal-Mart. Why waste your money on expensive items? You live with the basics now, so why do you need more?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:13 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
\

The federal government did a study about the impact on local businesses when Wal-Mart comes to town, and did NOT find that the impact was consistently negative. What they determined was that in an economy that was already in trouble, local businesses that were precarious to begin with were more likely to go under. But in areas where the economy was not in trouble, but was actually vibrant, that local businesses able to individuate themselves from Wal-Mart actually benefit from the drawing power of a regional Wal-Mart.

Obviously, a store directly competing with Wal-Mart is going to be much more challenged. But in terms of employment, Wal-Mart will employ more people, and actually offer better benefits to those employees than the traditional mom and pop. Certainly the atmosphere suffers, and many downtowns will suffer. On the other hand, in the small towns dependent on downtowns, those downtowns were already stressed. It costs a lot of money to retrofit those old buildings, to make them energy efficient and handicapped accessible. They often have inadequate parking, and face other challenges, like individual owners refusing to participate in efforts to come together to upgrade and market the areas. And you have generational shifts, where children don't want to take over their parents' businesses, and they are unable to sell the local store because it's electrical wiring is from the 1940's and new owners can't get insured.

Wal-Mart paid over six and a half billion in income taxes this past year. Maybe they should have paid more, but there are communities that have been glad that in this economic downturn, the local sales at Wal-Mart have not faltered, and the local sales tax revenue from Wal-Mart was much needed.
I wonder how much money Wal-Mart donated to the study of THAT and how much money the fellow responsible for writing it ended up with.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 PM

769 posts, read 887,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I wonder how much money Wal-Mart donated to the study of THAT and how much money the fellow responsible for writing it ended up with.

Same can be said about the Union workers study....

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
When I win, I'll start sending my posse there to do my shopping for me. (Hmmm.. where does one buy a posse? Neither Walmart nor Target I imagine as I've never seen one at either store. I'll work on that and get back with a further comment I guess. )

844 posts, read 2,101,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This just shows brainless selfishness and greed... the key motivators of most LIBERALS.
Fixed

Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
Same can be said about the Union workers study....
I agree with you....I do not trust ANY of that crap and just go on how it's affected me personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies