Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If You Won A $100 Million Dollar Jack Pot Lottery, Would You Still Continue To Shop At Wal-Mart And
YES 104 75.91%
NO 33 24.09%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,557,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

Does the fact that I buy most of my groceries locally make me a snotty limousine liberal? By buying your food at Walmart, you are actually not supporting your community.
I guess this concept is too hard for some? You know, those same people who bellow "BUY AMERICAN!!!!!", yet look w/disdain at people who buy local. It's hilarious & yet another example of their hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Uhhhh dude...have you not read your own sig line or posts? Not self serving huh???

being buried in LA wouldn't be self serving enough.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I guess this concept is too hard for some? You know, those same people who bellow "BUY AMERICAN!!!!!", yet look w/disdain at people who buy local. It's hilarious & yet another example of their hypocrisy.

I prefer to buy local made stuff, but I don't shun wal mart. I buy local because I like knowing where the stuff comes from, and who I am giving my money to. however, when I do go to wal mart, it's not like I see a bunch of palin t-shirts.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,855,960 times
Just for the record, when I shop at Wal-Mart I am supporting the local community. Really.

And if I won the lottery, I'd buy lots and lots of books. Probably not from the locally owned bookstore because I'm not so much into religious books, but from wherever I found books that I wanted to read. And I'd probably hire a local builder to build me a tight little Cape Cod house with a detached garage on about twenty acres nearby. And I'd buy a small car for tooling around, but keep my SUV because I might need it to get out of those twenty acres during winter ice-storms or spring-time flooding. I'd travel as much as possible, and I'd probably book my travel arrangements on-line with travelocity the way I've been doing it for the past ten years.

I like to shop at locally-owned businesses, but I'm not going to pay 100% mark-up over Wal-Mart's price for anti-perspirant or catfood. Especially when the anti-perspirant or catfood is going to be fresher at Wal-Mart because their turnover is so high. And even if I won the lottery, I'd still clip coupons and use them, because I like saving money.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I prefer to buy local made stuff, but I don't shun wal mart. I buy local because I like knowing where the stuff comes from, and who I am giving my money to. however, when I do go to wal mart, it's not like I see a bunch of palin t-shirts.
Who's saying no democrats shop at Walmart or Target? I love these types of assumptions. I personally hate Wal-Mart so I never go there, but I do go to Target. I also shop locally.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Who's saying no democrats shop at Walmart or Target? I love these types of assumptions. I personally hate Wal-Mart so I never go there, but I do go to Target. I also shop locally.

why do you hate wal mart? they provide jobs, and cheap good and services for people who can't afford otherwise. I don't like them because they tend to be much dirtier than, say, costco.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,654,452 times
I shop at Target as well, you cannot always buy everything locally. Food is something you can easily buy locally for the same price and better quality.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,654,452 times
Quote:
why do you hate wal mart? they provide jobs, and cheap good and services for people who can't afford otherwise. I don't like them because they tend to be much dirtier than, say, costco.
I don't like the store (dirty as you note), or the products. Target just seems to have all around better stuff.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I don't like Walmart, it's cheap crap, I've heard stories about how they treat their employees. It's my personal opinion, ok? Deal with it.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:58 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,736,880 times
I said Yes but I say no to Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies