Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this the right thing?
Yes. They should spend their hard earned money on the slackers of society 40 35.09%
No! This is outrageous 64 56.14%
No 10 8.77%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I keep reading about how if people would just handle their money better then ANYONE could afford their own health insurance. Let's just put a little light of reality on that claim. Let's take a single person who is making $8 an hour.....and there are a LOT of people in that category for a whole variety of reasons.
Okay, this person grosses $16,640 a year.
After payroll taxes they net $15,308a year.
Say they pay a modest $700 a month for rent (hard to find any place for less. That comes to $8,400 a year which leaves them $6,908
Then say they pay an average $1,200 a year for all utilities..heat, electric, water, sewer.
That leaves them $5,708
Okay, they have to eat, stay clean, have clean clothes, etc. so say they spend $120 a month on food, toilet paper, soap, laundry, etc. That comes to $1,440 a year and leaves them $4,268
The AVERAGE cost for single person health insurance in 2008 was $4,406 a year.

And this doesn't give a person any money for transportation, clothes, furniture for their apartment, haircuts, or anything else.

Just in case anyone is interested in facts.
um, if you make $15k per year, you should have like 30 roommates and a second job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
I know this sounds extreme, but if you are underclass, working class, or lower middle class,please get sterilized. It is unlikely the economy will ever improve to the point that we get really good jobs again.And my wife and I together only make about 70K, so we are speaking from a working/lower-middle class viewpoint, not from an elitist viewpoint by any means.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
um, if you make $15k per year, you should have like 30 roommates and a second job.

I believe at $15,000/year you would qualify for Medicaid and food stamps in most states.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Oh I have experienced it because I have lived in GB and France and Germany. Germany is the best of all of them, but it still has some problems. Of course our healthcare has many horror stories, but that is not the point. BTW, it was not a scare tactic, just some facts, which seems to be what bothers you the most.
Where in Germany did you live? I spent 2 years in the service in Schwabisch Gmund, about an hour east of Stuttgart.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I believe at $15,000/year you would qualify for Medicaid and food stamps in most states.

yeah, no kidding. and let's face it, that's pretty much minimum wage. people who make that should be living with there parents.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:45 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
45% tax now on $1 million earners

All of this to now pay for Bama's health care plan. Your thoughts?

The Associated Press: House plan boosts taxes on rich to 20-year high

The "poor" will pay taxes too. Don't relive anything else.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
In 2009 you are lucky to find ONE job....let alone two. As for 30 roommates, yeah, that is realistic isn't it? And if you get a place large enough for roommates then the rent is also going to increase proportionally so you end up back in the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I know this sounds extreme, but if you are underclass, working class, or lower middle class,please get sterilized. It is unlikely the economy will ever improve to the point that we get really good jobs again.And my wife and I together only make about 70K, so we are speaking from a working/lower-middle class viewpoint, not from an elitist viewpoint by any means.
So now, in addition to everything that the greedy rich have taken from us, they also take away the right to have children? Only the rich should be allowed to have kids? Wow. Welcome to the Brave New World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The cut off for a single person to get food stamps is $13,524. For Medicaid it is $8,500 so nope...not eligible.

Quote:
yeah, no kidding. and let's face it, that's pretty much minimum wage. people who make that should be living with there parents.
Sadly, in the current economy, many making $8 an hour ARE the parents who 2 years ago were making 35k-50k a year. In addition, there are a whole lot of folks out there in their 20s, with college degrees, who are working for minimum wage now because THOSE ARE THE ONLY JOBS AVAILABLE.

I'm afraid that a lot of you are in for a rude awakening when the real world comes calling on you.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:48 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't vote in polls that use obviously biased language.

With that said, I will say that I'm comfortable with a tax hike on the wealthiest Americans. Everyone in America should be able to see a doctor when they are sick.
i really hope people like you that are comfortable with this lose their jobs because these wealthy people can't afford to provide jobs anymore. i talked to a business owner that said he is going to fire half of his workers if this idiot of a president raises his taxes. now that sure does help the economy doesn't it?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i really hope people like you that are comfortable with this lose their jobs because these wealthy people can't afford to provide jobs anymore. i talked to a business owner that said he is going to fire half of his workers if this idiot of a president raises his taxes. now that sure does help the economy doesn't it?

That is exactly what the slaves were saying. Gee of this emancipation thing goes through the master won't be able to keep us. Whatever will we do. Did not work then, won't work now.

Think about it. Taxes only taxes profits. It may the business owner will make less of a profit...maybe, but the only way he lets his employees go is if he has too many to start with. A business' primary objective is to maximize profit. They rarely voluntarily overpay their employees nor do they hire more than they need. If he needed the employees before the tax, he will continue to need them after the tax.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:57 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
In 2009 you are lucky to find ONE job....let alone two. As for 30 roommates, yeah, that is realistic isn't it? And if you get a place large enough for roommates then the rent is also going to increase proportionally so you end up back in the same place.

So now, in addition to everything that the greedy rich have taken from us, they also take away the right to have children? Only the rich should be allowed to have kids? Wow. Welcome to the Brave New World.

The cut off for a single person to get food stamps is $13,524. For Medicaid it is $8,500 so nope...not eligible.

Sadly, in the current economy, many making $8 an hour ARE the parents who 2 years ago were making 35k-50k a year. In addition, there are a whole lot of folks out there in their 20s, with college degrees, who are working for minimum wage now because THOSE ARE THE ONLY JOBS AVAILABLE.

I'm afraid that a lot of you are in for a rude awakening when the real world comes calling on you.

Medicaid depends on the state, different cutoffs for different states.

And you are wrong about food stamps.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/applicant_recipients/eligibility.htm#income (broken link)

Income:

Households have to meet income tests unless all members are receiving TANF, SSI, or in some places general assistance. Most households must meet both the gross and net income tests, but a household with an elderly person or a person who is receiving certain types of disability payments only has to meet the net income test. Households, except those noted, that have income over the amounts listed below cannot get SNAP benefits.
[LEFT](Oct. 1, 2008 through Sept. 30, 2009)[/LEFT]
Household size
Gross monthly income
(130 percent of poverty)

Net monthly income
(100 percent of poverty)

[CENTER]1 [/CENTER]
1,127$ 867[CENTER]2 [/CENTER]
1,5171,167[CENTER]3 [/CENTER]
1,9071,467[CENTER]4 [/CENTER]
2,2971,767[CENTER]5 [/CENTER]
2,6872,067[CENTER]6 [/CENTER]
3,0772,367[CENTER]7 [/CENTER]
3,467 2,667[CENTER]8 [/CENTER]
3,8572,967[CENTER]Each additional member
+ 390
+ 300[/CENTER]

Gross income means a household's total, nonexcluded income, before any deductions have been made. Net income means gross income minus allowable deductions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies