Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Hey Shorebaby, you might want to check this out, you might learn something. Here is Wendall Potter an ex head of corporate communications with CIGNA.
"They Dump the Sick to Satisfy Investors": Insurance Exec Turned Whistleblower Wendell Potter Speaks Out Against Healthcare Industry
Check out the part about Natalie Sarkisyan, who had health insurance unlike 47 million Americans. CIGNA denied her the liver transplant that she needed and she died because of it. We ration health care right here in the United States! I know Rick Scott is full of **** when he says that the government wants to put a bureaucrat between you and your doctor. But if it turns out that I'm completely wrong and Scott is right, I 'd rather have a bureaucrat between me and my doctor than a money-grubbing insurance company that's going to make a lot more money by letting me die. They'll take your money when you are healthy and as soon as you get sick and they have to pay for it, they dump you and you're **** out of luck. Who knows, it may even happen to you one day, although I sincerely hope it doesn't. This is one reason why I feel that health care needs to be in the public, not the private sector. Profit shouldn't be the bottom line when the issue at stake is someone's health.

Well you would rather have the same caliber of person who works at the DMV making healthcare decisions for you, that is probably what you will get. The difference is you can dump Cigna, you can't dump the federal government.

Profit is not a dirty word it has made many of the innovations in healthcare possible. Good luck getting innovation on happy thoughts and fairy dust.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Profit is not a dirty word it has made many of the innovations in healthcare possible. Good luck getting innovation on happy thoughts and fairy dust.
Profit funds research. Will the government fund this now ?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Not true. The United States spends 17% of its GDP on health care, which is the most in the world. However, we are the only industrialized country that has uninsured, and we have 47 million of them. Countries like Canada, UK and France have single-payer systems and they spend a much lower percentage of their GDP's on healthcare and they insure everyone. All of these 3 countries health care systems have a better overall performance than ours, according to the World Health Organization. The reason we are so inefficient is because 31% of our health care dollars go to overhead and paperwork. It is inevitiable in a for-profit private system that this will happen because of the bills and the high executive salaries that you don't see in countries with single-payer.

um.... have you done ANY work for the government? The overhead and paperwork of the government is absolutely ridiculous, to think that the government would suddenly shrink overhead is well.... a dream.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Profit funds research. Will the government fund this now ?

I am afraid with the last free market healthcare system gone innovation will decrease. You see it already with big Pharma consolidation.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:48 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"mandatory plan an option" -- you can keep your own care if you want to. Everyone would have to have some sort of health care, and the govt version is one option.

" It's like saying I can build you a newer, better house and it will be cheaper than the one you have now." -- The Mayo Clinic is able to do it. You've heard of the rotten no-good commie Mayo Clinic.

McAllen, Texas and the high cost of health care : The New Yorker

what is that about taxed on the stimulus money - link?
it is not an option, I will be forced to pay for the system even if I have another plan, and do not use the "public" option. that is not an option.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
um.... have you done ANY work for the government? The overhead and paperwork of the government is absolutely ridiculous, to think that the government would suddenly shrink overhead is well.... a dream.
The CBO certainly agrees with you, this cost saving health care plan these wizards have come up with will cost $1 trillion.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 PM

785 posts, read 1,049,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
CBO disagrees with that assessment.

They report it will not SAVE us - they indicate it will COST us

Sorry
By the way, the original post that I made which started the debate in which I responded to a question about HR 3200, was in support of HR676, the single-payer health care bill. The bill that the CBO said would end up costing us is HR 3200.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Well, Medicare, which is part of the government, only has a 3% overhead. That's a big difference from 35%.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well you would rather have the same caliber of person who works at the DMV making healthcare decisions for you, that is probably what you will get. The difference is you can dump Cigna, you can't dump the federal government.

Caliber of person who works at the DMV? Give me a break! Sure I can dump Cigna after they refuse to cover my liver translplant. And do you think any other insurance company is going to give me insurance when they find out I need a liver transplant?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Sick of ridiculous emergency room bills? If the private hospitals have to compete with free government clinics maybe they will be more reasonable. All the new hospitals and clinics need staff and we can train them here instead of import them. That is the most likely avenue for job creation, not 'green'.

YouTube - Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!!

Yep, I'm not sure which will be the bigger job creator the free government clinics or the magical green energy power plants that run on CO2 free fairy dust and carbon neutral gum drops.

Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies