Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,722,659 times

Advertisements

I assumed we had teams like this. Don't tell me Panetta would not send a hit squad to blow Bin Laden's brains out if he procured some legit intel.

For 8 years, I listened to Leftists, and more than a few on the Right as well, whine about Bush not going after Bin Laden. 8 years of hearing those screeching, foaming at the mouth shrieks of, "Where's Bin Laden?!!??!!?"

Now they feign offense that there were efforts. All the while they stay silent as Obama [correctly] fires missles and sends drones after the same thugs. And taking a few civilians out in the process. They have to nerve to say you cannot kill the head of a terrorist organization?

What a bunch of despicable hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Not good. The CIA trained Osama Bin Laden after all. Don't believe me? Look it up!
so? he served a purpose back then.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM

8,598 posts, read 9,093,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so? he served a purpose back then.
That is correct, he served a purpose. He was fighting the Soviets at the time and so was the U.S. aka the cold war. Same argument goes for "The School of the Americas". If the US wasn't involved with Latin America, training them, keeping them close to us then the Soviets would have filled the void and were attempting to do this. If this would have happened things would have turned out much worse. It's akin to a chess game for sure.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,722,659 times
The CIA trained Bin Laden? What, they flew him to Langley, Virginia, put him up in a hotel with a wet bar, and during the day showed him how to fly planes into buildings so as to slaugher our own people?

<shakes head>

Old 07-16-2009, 08:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I assumed we had teams like this. Don't tell me Panetta would not send a hit squad to blow Bin Laden's brains out if he procured some legit intel.

For 8 years, I listened to Leftists, and more than a few on the Right as well, whine about Bush not going after Bin Laden. 8 years of hearing those screeching, foaming at the mouth shrieks of, "Where's Bin Laden?!!??!!?"

Now they feign offense that there were efforts. All the while they stay silent as Obama [correctly] fires missles and sends drones after the same thugs. And taking a few civilians out in the process. They have to nerve to say you cannot kill the head of a terrorist organization?

What a bunch of despicable hypocrites.
So did I. I didn't really think that David Mamet's "The Unit" was entirely made up.
The only issue I have with this whole situation is what Congress did, didn't and was supposed to know and when. If they should have been told, then they are right to be jumping up and down. However, if the issue is simply the nature of the program, well, then, I have to agree - their reactions are extremely hypocritical.

"By way of background, there is technically a U.S. ban on assassination that dates back to President Ford in 1976. "No employee of the United States Government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, political assassination," states Executive Order 11905 (http://www.ford.utexas.edu/LIBRARY/speeches/760110e.htm#SEC.%205. - broken link). That was then updated by President Carter who dropped the term "political" simply prohibiting "assassination." The current Executive Order, 12333, was signed by president Reagan in 1981 and has remained on the books through every administration since. What is brutally ironic about Reagan signing this ban was that he authorized repeated assassinations, notably the 1986 attempt on Col. Moammar Gadhafi, which failed to kill Gadhafi but instead killed his infant daughter. But in that brutal apparent contradiction is the truth: the U.S. does not have a ban on assassinations as long as government lawyers can figure out some legal acrobats for the president to use in sidelining the ban. Every president from Reagan to Obama has reserved the right to assassinate "terrorists" by claiming it as a military operation or a preemptive strike."

Jeremy Scahill: The Democrats' Selective Amnesia on Assassination: Clinton Did It and Obama Does It Too

Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 AM

133 posts, read 173,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Assination is, was, and always has been illegal because the victims are usually the “leaders” of the society and not some “unimportant” peasant. I do not think we need to indulge in hit squads either in the international realm of in our own back yard. After reading the posts on the Maryland SWAT teams’ heinous killing of innocent civilians, I now question the need for these any where in our nation. IMHO Drugs are far less a problem than government sanctioned armed thugs.
Man up!

Old 07-16-2009, 11:06 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,507,606 times
Sounds like "kinda pregnant"

Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
The reason I got ticked at Bush for not going after: "bin laden is not a priority" is because over 4,300 dead military members; 30,000+ seriously wounded Americans , over 100,000 dead Iraqis, TRILLIONS of dollars in debt, & for what?

Bush Quotes about Bin Laden - BuzzFlash Reader Commentary
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I want justice...There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive,'"
- G.W. Bush, 9/17/01, UPI

"...Secondly, he is not escaping us. This is a guy, who, three months ago, was in control of a county [sic]. Now he's maybe in control of a cave. He's on the run. Listen, a while ago I said to the American people, our objective is more than bin Laden. But one of the things for certain is we're going to get him running and keep him running, and bring him to justice. And that's what's happening. He's on the run, if he's running at all. So we don't know whether he's in cave with the door shut, or a cave with the door open -- we just don't know...."
- Bush, in remarks in a Press Availablity with the Press Travel Pool, The Prairie Chapel Ranch, Crawford TX, 12/28/01, as reported on official White House site

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, repsonding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts, 3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)

Old 07-16-2009, 11:18 AM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If only those two sentences made any sense...

Every nation does indeed have a major intelligence apparatus.

No is isn't legal to assassinate the leaders of al Qaeda.

The fact that al Qaeda is not a country makes the assassination of their leadership by a foreign civilian agent or agency illegal.

Please read the provide link above.
Legalities, a really quaint notion on the international stage.
There are no police at that level...

Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
More Righteous Idignatude, if Congress didn't know they were being lied to then they are too stupid to be in congress. AIG of Bailout fame was founded by "ex" CIA Agents as a way to fund programs without congressional approval. Air America, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies