Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:53 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times

Advertisements

Once upon a time the Supreme Court ruled that Banks could use the Usury Laws in the state where they were located rather than that of the State where the customer was. I'm sure they believed that the Congress would pass a Federal Usury Rate but didn't know how cheaply Congress would sell its souls.

The Banks quickly relocated to Delaware and South Dakota, states without Usury Laws and started charging rates that would make the Mafia blush. Where I live in Arizona the Usury rate was 10% but now I see Banks charging over 30%.

I was beside myself when the new """Reform""" law didn't include a set Percentage. I have notified my Congressperson and Senators that without a Federal Usury Law I can NOT vote for them.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:58 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
I work for one of these financial companies and they are worse than the Mafia. Thank the GOP for allowing these crooks to do as they please, after all "free market" is the way to go .

Old 07-18-2009, 07:03 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I work for one of these financial companies and they are worse than the Mafia. Thank the GOP for allowing these crooks to do as they please, after all "free market" is the way to go .
JIMMY CARTER'S administration repealed the usury laws along with a DEMOCRATIC house & senate in 1980. God.....I'm SICK of you people on the far left coming out here and making everything political.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:04 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Banks quickly relocated to Delaware and South Dakota, states without Usury Laws and started charging rates that would make the Mafia blush. Where I live in Arizona the Usury rate was 10% but now I see Banks charging over 30%.
I hate banks and CC companies and if you really want to screw them over do what we do, don't use credit cards.

Oh man, does that spending philosophy screw over credit card companies.

Interesting enough before 1965 most purchases were done on cash. We should go back to cash.

Debit cards. We have one but we take cash when we go shopping because studies show if you use cash to pay you will spend less. It's true too.

I've got one for emergencies and online purchases, it's an American Express and I can't tell you what the interest rate is since we pay it in full, and that's it. As it is our total CC purchases in a year don't total $1,000 for everything.

So, join me in no credit cards and telling the banks to "suck this!"

Old 07-18-2009, 07:05 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
JIMMY CARTER'S administration repealed the usury laws along with a DEMOCRATIC house & senate in 1980. God.....I'm SICK of you people on the far left coming out here and making everything political.
Yep, I remember that too.

But maybe Dick Cheney was behind it?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yep, I remember that too.

But maybe Dick Cheney was behind it?
I hear ya Man.......this is a great forum, but this black & white thinking out here is not doing justice to debate.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I've always felt that "the banks" ran this country. It's obvious they make our banking laws, have for many years, no matter which party is in office. In fact, most of our laws are written by lobbyists for their respective industries.

Coal is in charge of our clean air policy.
Pharma is in charge of our FDA.
Conagra and ADM write our farm policy.

Here's how it works:
- Rob a 7-11, you get a slap on the wrist from the local police/court.
- Rob a bank, you get hard time and the FBI comes after you, not the locals.

It's okay to say: "hmmmm what's up with that dichotomy?"

The banks get whatever laws THEY want.

Want to make a statement? Join a Credit Union instead.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've always felt that "the banks" ran this country. It's obvious they make our banking laws, have for many years, no matter which party is in office. In fact, most of our laws are written by lobbyists for their respective industries.

Coal is in charge of our clean air policy.
Pharma is in charge of our FDA.
Conagra and ADM write our farm policy.

Here's how it works:
- Rob a 7-11, you get a slap on the wrist from the local police/court.
- Rob a bank, you get hard time and the FBI comes after you, not the locals.

It's okay to say: "hmmmm what's up with that dichotomy?"

The banks get whatever laws THEY want.

Want to make a statement? Join a Credit Union instead.
Thanks for posting.

I LIKE black and white.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Um, isn't that what you just did?

I don't use credit cards ever. I took a seminar from one of those guys you see on TV claiming that they can say you money. Well, it worked. I went from living from paycheck to paycheck to not having to worry much. Debit/cash or nothing. No bank has made a dime off of me over the last 14 years.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Um, isn't that what you just did?

I don't use credit cards ever. I took a seminar from one of those guys you see on TV claiming that they can say you money. Well, it worked. I went from living from paycheck to paycheck to not having to worry much. Debit/cash or nothing. No bank has made a dime off of me over the last 14 years.
No.........I educated the poster to the fact that it was the democratic party that changed the law, not the republicans. The poster had no clue what happened except that it just must be a conserative/repuiblican thing.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-18-2009 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies