U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:15 AM

34,990 posts, read 34,734,702 times

Advertisements

In looking around for information on the Khilafah conference I ran across this press release -- dont see any other mention of it (?!).

House Passes Legislation Prohibiting Funds to Iran's Gasoline Suppliers
The Foundation for Defense of Democracies praised the passage of H.R. 3081, the FY 2010 State-Foreign Operations Appropriations Act, which includes language proposed by U.S. Reps. Mark Kirk (R-IL) and Brad Sherman (D-CA) that prohibits certain U.S. government financial support for companies that supply refined petroleum, including gasoline, to Iran. The bill passed the U.S. House of Representatives on July 9 by a vote of 318 to 106.

"Iran's Islamist rulers - increasingly oppressive at home and aggressive abroad - are making clear that they do not seek rapprochement with the United States," said FDD Executive Director Mark Dubowitz. "The passage of this bill with the inclusion of the Kirk-Sherman language puts the House on record as opposing the expenditure of taxpayer dollars for companies assisting Iran's energy sector. Ending American taxpayer support for the theocratic regime by curtailing gasoline supplies could help convince Iran's rulers to comply with international law and U.N. Security Council resolutions requiring Iran to suspend its illicit nuclear weapons program."

"Iran's need to import 40 percent of its gasoline is its economic Achilles' Heel," said Orde Kittrie, an FDD senior fellow, law professor at Arizona State University, and former U.S. State Department official. "This legislation directly targets this vulnerability, which is one of the last, best peaceful options available to prevent the Iranian regime from achieving its nuclear ambitions," said Kittrie. Kittrie stated that "with this bill, Congress has now progressed from introducing Iran sanctions legislation to passing it. Patience with Iran on Capitol Hill appears to be running out and the screws are beginning to tighten."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:55 AM

"The Iranian regime's recent stolen election and brutal crackdown is yet another in its long series of actions flouting international law," said Kittrie. Kittrie added: "If the Iranian regime is to halt its illegal nuclear program, support for terrorism, and human rights abuses, we must change its cost-benefit analysis. The inclusion of the Kirk-Sherman language and the passage of this bill is an important step towards that goal."

Although a major producer of crude oil, Iran lacks sufficient refinery capacity and thus must import approximately 40 percent of the gasoline it needs to fuel its economy and military. Iran imports this gasoline from a handful of foreign energy companies.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:19 AM

17,700 posts, read 35,611,083 times
What a bunch of hooey ... I wonder how much gas we really sell to Iran ... plus, we were selling gas to Iran??? We're trading with Iran???? Since when ... who authorized it???? Pure political posturing.

No disrespect D ... I'm really skeptical about this.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:22 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,313,041 times
This is gonna really bite. I think it will get their attention fast.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
What a bunch of hooey ... I wonder how much gas we really sell to Iran ... plus, we were selling gas to Iran??? We're trading with Iran???? Since when ... who authorized it???? Pure political posturing.

We may sell gas to Iran and other producers sell gas to Iran too. When it stops, their economy will tank overnight and that should bring them to the table so we can discuss the nuclear issue with them.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:

it's cos they dont have enough refineries over there --

2007: With refineries few, Iraq and Iran run on black market gas | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/jlanders/stories/102307dnbuslanders.33a0a8f.html - broken link)

July 2009: Iran seeks China investment to build refineries | Industries | Energy | Reuters

But yeah.... it *is* strange that there's only this press release from a think tank talking about it... no big thing about it at the websites of either of the reps who wrote the language. (The R writer | The D writer)

Oh well, maybe it's not such a big deal. But -- seems symbolically important.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We may sell gas to Iran and other producers sell gas to Iran too. When it stops, their economy will tank overnight and that should bring them to the table so we can discuss the nuclear issue with them.
Hope so.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:43 AM

Just for good measure, I would not cry if there was an "accidental" explosion at the single refinery Iran has. That would really put the screws to them!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:52 AM

17,700 posts, read 35,611,083 times
But this is from our Congress, nobody else's. I'm sure Iran pays top dollar to places like ... Russia? Venezuela ... money talks.

I'm just alarmed because I thought we weren't supposed to be trading with them anyway ... it takes Congressional action for it to stop??? When did it start???

Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
But this is from our Congress, nobody else's. I'm sure Iran pays top dollar to places like ... Russia? Venezuela ... money talks.

I'm just alarmed because I thought we weren't supposed to be trading with them anyway ... it takes Congressional action for it to stop??? When did it start???
Sez here it sanctions Iran indirectly -- by sanctioning other countries' oil companies via the Import-Export Bank.

This is from last April (valuable even though it says "decrease gasoline imports to Iran" instead of "exports" in the first line)
[This amendment] prohibits the U.S. Export-Import Bank from providing credit, insurance, or guarantees to companies that export gasoline to Iran or support the regime's domestic production.
Despite its status as a top OPEC nation, Iran lacks the required refining capacity to meet domestic demand for fuel and must import some 40 percent of its gasoline. Nearly all of Iran's imported gasoline is provided by five European companies - the Swiss firm Vitol, the Swiss/Dutch firm Trafigura, the French firm Total, the Swiss firm Glencore, British Petroleum, and the Indian firm Reliance.

In 2007 and 2008, the U.S. Export-Import Bank approved two separate loan guarantees totaling $900 million to expand the largest refinery owned by Reliance, which provides roughly one-third of Iran's daily import of gasoline.
Amendment cutting off gov’t dollars for Iran gasoline passes committee | Capital J | JTA - Jewish & Israel News

well....it's something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies