Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Some people need these types of vehicles because of the kind of work they do.
And some of us don't even need them for work. We just like the way they look sitting in our garages and driveways.

Nearly all Americans have things they don't need. I'm dismayed when I hear someone criticize someone else's choice of vehicle by saying, "Why does he NEED an SUV?", as if "need" should be the primary or only thing to consider. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:52 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And some of us don't even need them for work. We just like the way they look sitting in our garages and driveways.

Nearly all Americans have things they don't need. I'm dismayed when I hear someone criticize someone else's choice of vehicle by saying, "Why does he NEED an SUV?", as if "need" should be the primary or only thing to consider. Ugh.
Think about the hundreds of thousands (more?) of rental storage units in this country. They're not all just temporary. People just have too much STUFF. There's nothing left that we need that at this point in our culture we couldnt get for free. We've consumed ourselves limp, to paraphrase Network.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Think about the hundreds of thousands (more?) of rental storage units in this country. They're not all just temporary. People just have too much STUFF. There's nothing left that we need that at this point in our culture we couldnt get for free. We've consumed ourselves limp, to paraphrase Network.
I guess I'd rather let individuals decide how much they "need". If they're not directly hurting anyone else, I don't see a problem. It's fine to have an opinion, of course, but unless you pass a law that restricts people from owning "more than they need", there isn't much good to complaining about it, as I see it.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:00 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Well, I dont know, I think people sometimes convince themselves they need more and more bigger shinier stuff and build their lives around consuming, which doesnt help them on their deathbeds. I agree that it's individuals' business.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:01 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
I'm a Democrat who disagrees with cap and trade and the current tax structure.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
I'm a liberal but I support:

1. Gun rights because otherwise only criminals will have guns. Guns are ubiquitous and they aren't going anywhere. Most people would like to live in a place where they would never need a gun to protect themselves, but that's not America in 2009. If someone breaks into my house and threatens my family they are getting double-tapped.

2. States rights, I think the feds have too much power. More local control will lead to better, more responsive government.

3. Fiscal responsibility on the part of government. Taxes are fine, but spend it wisely or give it back to the people and let them spend it.

4. Further welfare reform that enables and requires people recieving benefits to work. Nobody should be getting a paycheck for sitting at home watching Oprah.

5. Strengthening the border so that nobody is able to sneak through illegally. Even if we have to change the law and put the military on the border, let's get it done.

6. Ending the P.C. era in academia. Some "ideas" are just stupid. Also, some people are just stupid and shouldn't be "socially promoted" by the school system. Not everyone is gifted. Live with it.

7. Making English the official language. This includes ending the practice of printing government forms in any other language. Learn English if you want to live in the US. It's not that hard.

8. Ending late-term abortion. If the baby can survive outside the womb, it's not a choice, it's murder. Anyone practicing partial-birth abortion should be put in prison. That's cold blooded killing.

9. Letting people drive any car and live in any house they can afford. It's their business. I care about the environment and would support higher gas taxes, but I won't tell people not to drive an SUV if that's their preference.

10. Tougher laws for violent crime, although I also think our drug laws are ridiculous and should be tossed.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:35 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
I'm generally a liberal but:

1. I am pro life
2. I thought that both the bail out and the "recovery act" were terrible, terrible mistakes.
3. I think anyone who abuses a child should be locked up for the rest of their life without the possibility of parole.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emh View Post
Another thing I wanted to say (slightly off-topic) is that even though I'm a liberal, I'm very conservative in my own behavior.

No piercings or tattoos. Don't do drugs, drink maybe one beer every six months, don't swear, don't sleep around.

I've seen some of the conservatives on this forum insinuate that liberals lead wild and crazy lives. I'm sure there are some who do but I'm as bland as they come.
I know what you mean. I always laugh when I read messages from some of the neo cons that suggest all of us liberals are welfare bums who do drugs, drink up our food stamps, and sleep with anything and everything. I am an elderly lady who retired after working 50 years and I spend my time going to my grandkids little league games, doing volunteer work, and going to church. I don't drink, sure don't do drugs (though I do take an aspirin from time to time), and have been a celibate widow for more years than most of you have been alive. Now compare this liberal to some of the neo cons leaders.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
I am a right leaning Democrat and I am 100% against illegal amnesty and think there should be massive raids,round ups,deportations and arrests of employers involved with major prison time being served by them.

I am for the death penalty.

I have trouble with the abortion issue because I think it is morally wrong,but yet I don't think I nor anyone else has the right to tell anyone what to do with their own body.

The gay marriage issue does not confront me in the least, therefore it is really a nonissue in my home and I think the Dems give it WAY to much attention and waste to much time fooling with it that could be spent working on more important things that would benefit a larger portion of the population.This IS supposed to be a democracy after all.I am not for or against it.

I am for a smaller,more streamlined gov't and the removal of redundancy in gov't offices and agencies.Repubs are no good at this either.

I am against big business and corporate farm subsidies for the rich.Repubs and Dems both are guilty of promoting these for their rich contributors.

I am pro gun 100% and think all states should have Castle and no retreat laws.

So yes,I have a few issues with "my" party.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
I'm against Affirmative Action. Maybe back in the day, I'd have approved of it, but I think it's run its course now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies