Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:29 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
As a parent with children who have chronic asthma I am all for this ban. I have had to tell my parents not to smoke around my kids. I will not allow my kids to ride in a car with their grandparents due to the smoking (whether they had asthma or not). We also will not stay at my parent's house due to the stale smoke smell. We stay at a hotel.

IMO it's not just about rights, it's about keeping children healthy. They are unable to challenge adults the way we are. They have no voice...thus laws like this need to be created to protect them. Sure wish this would've happened back in the 70s.
Way to go Hoosier-guy!! And I see lots of people in my line of work (social services) really need the money they use for their tobacco addiction to support their families. Cigarettes are $12.00+ per pack up in the great white North. Imagine one parent/two parent low income families smoking a pack of cigarettes or more per day. 365 x $12= $4,380. per year! I hear things like I can't afford milk, fresh vegetables, medicine, clothes for my kids, shoes, activities, etc., and lots of times it's $4,380x2= $8,760. per year, which is ludicrous. I think that's abuse. Not to even mention the health issues Kids cannot choose their parents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 10:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Ah, Some of my fondest memories as a child, were when the family would load up in the old vista cruiser for a road trip, mom and dad up there just a huffin and a puffin, I would be in the back jump seat gasping for fresh air , so dad would always lower the rear window just enough to suck in the exhaust! Driving always made me sleepy.Those were the days!

Last edited by silas777; 04-27-2007 at 10:38 PM..

Old 04-28-2007, 10:41 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
It is child abuse to smoke in a room with a child who has no way to escape to for fresh air...shouldn't haveanyhow for that matter, they (adult)should. Not to mention its a bad example too!

Old 04-28-2007, 04:56 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
Laws and rules are everywhere for adults and children to follow, but that doesn't mean people don't break the laws or the rules. If these people that smoked around kids were "true" adults, we wouldn't have this problem. They are ignorant, lack common sense, and probably don't care how the smoke affects children and other adults as well. Surely they must know it's toxic and if they do, they really must not care.

We now have seatbelt laws and many are not caught, so I'm assuming it won't be easy to catch these thoughtless adults smoking in a vehicle with children present. Many seatbelt violators are caught, and I trust the stupid smokestacks will be too.

I have no problem if someone tickets me for not wearing a seatbelt or speeding. I do wear my seatbelt though and haven't had a speeding ticket since I was 21 doing 50 in a 35 and that was 37 years ago. A law is a law and should be respected.

Good job, Bangor, ME. I hope you catch a lot of them, and I hope other cities get smart and issue the same law.

Has anyone every held a little baby that wreaked of cigarette smoke? Gosh, it's just so sad that I want to tell the parents to grow up, exhibit some common sense, and quit poisoning your child.

My mother smoked very little many years ago. When I was 13, I told her she was a bad influence on me for smoking (back then, it just wasn't very attractive but we didn't know it was deadly). Because my mother cared, she actually quit right away. Until the day she died, we often talked about that. And I'm glad I said it. I was not being disrepectful; I was stating what I felt. Had I not voiced my opinion, she may have died of lung cancer way before her time. She lived to be 81.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:10 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times
I completely agree with this also.

Good for Bangor, Maine, hope alot of other cities do the same thing as Bangor.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:02 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,102 times
Smokers are addicted and will try to explain their foolish behavior away. And they're SO addicted they often sacrifice the health or well being of others just for their need. As much as I'd like to sympathize I won't. Because altho it's not easy to quit...it IS possible! So when I see some mom dropping her kids off at school with her cig lit between her yellow fingers, I want to rip her out of her car and shove it up her nose. I mean come on. It's 2007 and there can't be a soul in a modern society that hasn't seen a tv ad or heard SOMETHING about it.
There are those few who will argue..well, my mama smoked around me and I'M just fine! Please. Obviously NOT! It has caused brain damage. We did alot of things way back when that we know better than to do now. We learn. We progress. Well, most of us do.

There are other states & countries banning this as well. Australia, New Jersey, etc.

No excuses!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:33 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times
Cool They are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
Because they are killing others.
"Murderer's"...

Old 05-09-2007, 06:52 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Shoot, we are still trying to get ppl to put their kids in car seats here! Amazing.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:03 AM

51 posts, read 193,035 times
they are working on passing this law here in NY..and say YEA! I am an ex smoker and never, ever smoked in front of my kids, let alone with them in my car. If people want to smoke, fine, but a child doesn't have a choice of not being in that car and a smart, caring parent would never even consider doing that. You would think in this day and age with all the information out ther ethat people would know better....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies