U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 12:27 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,375,793 times

Advertisements

Several times I have witnessed people on this forum talk about "corporate greed" as if corporations are evil for trying to make a profit. I am astounded by this idealistic attitude toward a free market system comprising of corporations among other profit making types of establishments.

My biggest issue is they hypocritical nature of the argument. Unless those opposing the concept of corporate America are willing to pass on a pay raise simply because you don't need the extra money, is it really that despicable that a corporation is in business to similarly make a profit? As a free consumer society have an opportunity to forgo purchasing items and services at a corporation if we don't agree with the business practices of said business.

Secondly, we as a society are no longer in an economic state of being able to supply items of necessity through previous forms of profit making establishments. For instance, is there really anybody that could take on the role of Boeing aviation as a sole proprietorship? How about feeding the people of this country? The times of every person being an independent business have long passed and the complexities of our society require that large corporations be established to take on these great roles.

The point of my thread is to open up a dialog with those people who feel that corporations, in the most general terms, are considered a negative in both our country and the world as a whole.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 PM

41,492 posts, read 51,348,324 times
I have no argument with profit making honest corporations that operate in a free market competing openly and fairly with other corporations of a similar size and nature. I do have a problem with corporations that dominate the market they are operating in and are able to reap huge profits because they can determine selling prices for their products without considering their competitors, if any. Huge profits are an indication of Monopoly business practices that are illegal in this country and are damaging to our economy and prosperity.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 PM

19,216 posts, read 12,981,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have no argument with profit making honest corporations that operate in a free market competing openly and fairly with other corporations of a similar size and nature. I do have a problem with corporations that dominate the market they are operating in and are able to reap huge profits because they can determine selling prices for their products without considering their competitors, if any. Huge profits are an indication of Monopoly business practices that are illegal in this country and are damaging to our economy and prosperity.
If their monopoly is based on patent or copyright, fine!

But they need to stay the hell away from Congress for their monopolies.

I hope the world smartens up some day, and and switches to Apple Computers.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,375,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
By nature, if a smaller shop is charging an inflated price and can't compete with the larger corporation, doesn't it have to be true that their products are priced higher than the true market value?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,369,573 times
It is regularly pointed out that many people are greedy also. This is not a call to exterminate the human species or necessarily to denigrate it in any way by more than what it might actually deserve. Many corporations are very well behaved and serve a variety of useful purposes. Laws of incorporation however often make corporations responsible only for the earning of profits on behalf of stockholders. As they receive their license to operate at all on the favorable bases that they do directly from society, perhaps an ultimate responsibility to society should be added in as well. Maybe this would cut down a tad on wanton externalizing of costs onto a near defenseless public.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,418,079 times
I agree with the OP's point. 'Corporate greed' is given a bad rap on this forum. Corporate greed is nothing more than the greed of individuals. I can't tell you how many of my co-workers refuse to work overtime (we are salary, so no overtime pay) even though the company is doing terrible. That is just as greedy as someone who pushing a co-worker under the bus to get a promotion. It seems those who complain about corporate greed do so in order to push responsibility for flaws in their lives off onto someone else. It is funny how people always complain that people who are more wealthy are simply greedy. More often than not, this is simple, ugly jealousy coming out as class envy.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:36 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,369,573 times
The Romper Room excuse of class envy once again.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:40 PM

5,129 posts, read 4,776,006 times
So long as the companies are making their profits legally and not by deceptive practices I am fine with it. If it were not for big corporations millions would not have jobs.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,242,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Several times I have witnessed people on this forum talk about "corporate greed" as if corporations are evil for trying to make a profit. I am astounded by this idealistic attitude toward a free market system comprising of corporations among other profit making types of establishments.

My biggest issue is they hypocritical nature of the argument. Unless those opposing the concept of corporate America are willing to pass on a pay raise simply because you don't need the extra money, is it really that despicable that a corporation is in business to similarly make a profit? As a free consumer society have an opportunity to forgo purchasing items and services at a corporation if we don't agree with the business practices of said business.

Secondly, we as a society are no longer in an economic state of being able to supply items of necessity through previous forms of profit making establishments. For instance, is there really anybody that could take on the role of Boeing aviation as a sole proprietorship? How about feeding the people of this country? The times of every person being an independent business have long passed and the complexities of our society require that large corporations be established to take on these great roles.

The point of my thread is to open up a dialog with those people who feel that corporations, in the most general terms, are considered a negative in both our country and the world as a whole.
When corporate greed is responsible for people loosing their homes, cars, medical insurance due to job outsourcing I would say there is a problem.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:43 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,242,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
So long as the companies are making their profits legally and not by deceptive practices I am fine with it. If it were not for big corporations millions would not have jobs.

But the millions who now have our jobs are in China and its common knowledge they are used as slave labor. Is that moral?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies