Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe global warming is now occuring?
Yes 201 48.20%
Yes, but it wont be as bad as predicted 63 15.11%
No 135 32.37%
Unsure 18 4.32%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:58 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrington View Post
My parents have told me that global warming has been happening naturally since the start of time, with or without humans, not unlike how Silas777 explains things. I suppose you're going to say that my parents don't know what they're talking about.

Oh, and I saw a video about the melting of the Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina, but at the end, it says it has absolutely NOTHING to do with global warming (manmade or natural). Here's the quote describing the events:

I suppose you're going to say that my parents don't know what they're talking about next? Because I don't like it when they're wrong about something. They have told me that global warming, as affected by humans, is minimal at best, which, as I said before, is not unlike what Silas777 and Southpoint are talking about.
people can be wrong, right? no one of us can know all the answers, right? so, based on what you learn about these things, what do YOU think? you've seen plenty of literature (if you've looked around at the articles you've dug up and the articles that have been linked for you). you've seen who's said what about several things and gotten a sense of what their own personal interests, "education" about the details and broader scope of these kinds of things, and motivations might be. you've seen plots and pictures that you can judge, for yourself, in terms of credibility. so, based on that, what do YOU think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 01:13 PM

189 posts, read 344,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
people can be wrong, right? no one of us can know all the answers, right? so, based on what you learn about these things, what do YOU think? you've seen plenty of literature (if you've looked around at the articles you've dug up and the articles that have been linked for you). you've seen who's said what about several things and gotten a sense of what their own personal interests, "education" about the details and broader scope of these kinds of things, and motivations might be. you've seen plots and pictures that you can judge, for yourself, in terms of credibility. so, based on that, what do YOU think?
I think I'd say it's natural for global warming to occur, as it has been doing that since the start of time. I do agree that humans have made a contribution, but not one that would really destroy the world. My guess is that the reason our planet is heating up thus far is that we are emerging from the last little ice age. Don't forget, the scientists are the same ones that made the ice age claims 30 years ago. But you said people can make mistakes, didn't you? I think that means you, too. You should understand also that these scientists and the government are trying to use this situation as an example of fear, to fill their pockets and help the problem. Well, I guess you're saying that ALMOST all people can make mistakes and YOU are the sole exception. You think YOU are right and everyone else is wrong, aren't you?

Well, guess what? Not everyone sees things the way you do. Not everyone goes with your "my-way-or-the-highway" type of thinking. You might as well get that into your head. Besides, don't you think you might be exaggerating a bit. I do agree that these scenarios are possible, but not probable.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrington View Post
I think I'd say it's natural for global warming to occur, as it has been doing that since the start of time. I do agree that humans have made a contribution, but not one that would really destroy the world. My guess is that the reason our planet is heating up thus far is that we are emerging from the last little ice age. Don't forget, the scientists are the same ones that made the ice age claims 30 years ago. But you said people can make mistakes, didn't you? You should understand also that these scientists and the government are trying to use this situation as an example of fear, to fill their pockets and help the problem. Well, I guess you're saying that ALMOST all people can make mistakes and YOU are the sole exception. You think YOU are right and everyone else is wrong, aren't you?

Well, guess what? Not everyone sees things the way you do. Not everyone goes with your "my-way-or-the-highway" type of thinking. You might as well get that into your head. Besides, don't you think you might be exaggerating a bit. I do agree that these scenarios are possible, but not probable.
seems very clear not everyone sees it as i do, and that is not a bad thing in my opinion, nor is it surprising. based on what i've seen and read from many perspectives, i do not believe that i am exaggerating.

my question is "what do YOU think?"

but yeah, of course i may very well be wrong. some of the apparent concensuses in the scientific community could be wrong. what has become the apparent popular opinion in this country (that global warming is occurring and that people have something to do with it) could be wrong. at least some of the others you'd mentioned in your second to last post could be wrong. so...given the information YOU have at YOUR disposal, "what do YOU think?" you appear to believe what you believe, and seem to be looking more and more into it to learn what you can. those seem like good things in my opinion.

Last edited by hello-world; 05-29-2007 at 01:32 PM..

Old 05-29-2007, 07:58 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,492 times
Here in CT we had a rare tornado touch down yesterday and destroy a horse barn out of nowhere. It was sunny, no clouds and no rain, just a bit of haze. Tornado's in CT are rare, nevermind a tornado in clear, perfect weather.

Anyone ever hear of this?

Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I experienced my first tornado touch down about a month ago near Pittsburgh. I looked it up, and it appears there is an increase in tornadoes where they hadn't appeared before.

I lived most of my life on the East Coast (including CT) and the word tornado was novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
Here in CT we had a rare tornado touch down yesterday and destroy a horse barn out of nowhere. It was sunny, no clouds and no rain, just a bit of haze. Tornado's in CT are rare, nevermind a tornado in clear, perfect weather.

Anyone ever hear of this?

Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I experienced my first tornado touch down about a month ago near Pittsburgh. I looked it up, and it appears there is an increase in tornadoes where they hadn't appeared before.

I lived most of my life on the East Coast (including CT) and the word tornado was novel.
it can be hard to attribute things like individual hurricanes or tornados to "global warming", but it is interesting to hear anecdotes about how people seem to be perceiving it and feeling it - "seems like more storms", etc... and trends (climate) can definitely start to be more easily "attributable".

btw - there's a pretty good article in national geographic currently about high latitude and altitude changes that are going on.

National Geographic Magazine

you might have to go see the actual magazine to see the full articles.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 AM

More reading for those interested. You might need a NYTimes account to read it: it's free - you just give them a name, pick a userid, etc...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/31/wo.../31amazon.html

It talks about Amazonian deforestation, the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) predictions for Brazil/Amazonia, Brazil's leaders beginning to make laws to curb global warming and it's effects, the first hurricane ever recorded in the South Atlantic to strike the shore of South America, an impact of "An Inconvenient Truth", etc..

Old 08-02-2007, 09:03 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
My feeling is it has way more to do with deforestation than it does with CO2. Increased CO2 would be good for supporting vegetative growth.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
There are a lot of interesting perspectives on global warming. I don't pretend to have the answer. Other planets are warming as well and do not have human life, and the sun is getting hotter. I don't know how much human behavior influences this process and the science conflicts. Either way, I think we need to clean up the planet simply because the air and water are polluted.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Either way, I think we need to clean up the planet simply because the air and water are polluted.
I agree, which is why I feel CO2 should be the least of our concerns when there are sulfur oxides, nitrogen oxide, and small particulate matter pollutions which are more important, as well as all the pollutants going into our waterways. BP was given a go ahead to continue dumping mercury contaminated water into Lake Michigan, even though they made profits in the billions of dollars.

BP gets OK to dump mercury into Lake Michigan - USATODAY.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies