Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe global warming is now occuring?
Yes 201 48.20%
Yes, but it wont be as bad as predicted 63 15.11%
No 135 32.37%
Unsure 18 4.32%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:29 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I've looked at lots of threads. I'm just asking you to consider the possibility that climate change -- like any change -- will have positive effects as well as negative ones. No charcter defamation or name-calling need be involved. Just a little non-linear imgaination.
i understand what you are suggesting.

do you believe that it is more likely that climate change will be good or that climate change will be bad, overall, for humanity? do you feel that climate change will be good, or that climate change will be bad, overall, for you? your country? your finances? your family? your children, if you have or plan on having any? your grandchildren, if you have or plan on having any? again, i am talking overall. in sum total if that is how you wish to think of it. cost/benefit analysis...

what are your reasons? and what sources, if any, inform your reasoning?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
i understand what you are suggesting.

do you believe that it is more likely that climate change will be good or that climate change will be bad, overall, for humanity? do you feel that climate change will be good, or that climate change will be bad, overall, for you? your country? your finances? your family? your children, if you have or plan on having any? your grandchildren, if you have or plan on having any? again, i am talking overall. in sum total if that is how you wish to think of it. cost/benefit analysis...

what are your reasons? and what sources, if any, inform your reasoning?

thanks.
I think the media, which is the source of many peoples' thinking, has a hard time with change of any kind. In any ways, it is the most conservative of our public institutions. Because of this, I think many people do (and will, increasingly) believe that climate change represents a calamity of immense proportions. It is in the interest of many people, not limited to the media, that this be the case. The positive aspects of climate change will only slowly become apparent, and will be so covertly presented that they will be largely unnoticed even as they occur. But occur they will, in the ways in which I suggesed in my previous posts.

In my personal case, I live in a mountainous part of the country with severe winters. I would appreciate a modest climate change involvnig some warming, if only to shorten the period when the earth is frozen, and to lengthen the growing season for farming.

How climate change affects other people depends largely on their location, their current climate, and most importantly, their attitude toward the phenomenon. The media and most polticians are intent on presenting a crisis scenario with very little upside; in the former case, to increase their circulation, and in the latter, to offer them an opportunity to appear to be doing something to affect the appoaching apocalypse. For this reason, I think most people will believe that climate change is a disaster for mankind, whether it affects them significantly or not.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I think the media, which is the source of many peoples' thinking, has a hard time with change of any kind. In any ways, it is the most conservative of our public institutions. Because of this, I think many people do (and will, increasingly) believe that climate change represents a calamity of immense proportions. It is in the interest of many people, not limited to the media, that this be the case. The positive aspects of climate change will only slowly become apparent, and will be so covertly presented that they will be largely unnoticed even as they occur. But occur they will, in the ways in which I suggesed in my previous posts.

In my personal case, I live in a mountainous part of the country with severe winters. I would appreciate a modest climate change involvnig some warming, if only to shorten the period when the earth is frozen, and to lengthen the growing season for farming.

How climate change affects other people depends largely on their location, their current climate, and most importantly, their attitude toward the phenomenon. The media and most polticians are intent on presenting a crisis scenario with very little upside; in the former case, to increase their circulation, and in the latter, to offer them an opportunity to appear to be doing something to affect the appoaching apocalypse. For this reason, I think most people will believe that climate change is a disaster for mankind, whether it affects them significantly or not.
do you think that climate change will, OVERALL, hurt or benefit you? now? in the future? how?

do you think climate change will, OVERALL, hurt or benefit your society? humankind? how?

what is your reasoning? what sources might you cite that have informed your reasoning? (i was not asking whom you trust, or how you think people are mislead: i am asking these particular questions and what sources you DO use, if any, to inform your responses.)

the information is out there from many sources, some you might trust, some not. that information can assist in our decisions and the discourse, can't it?

Old 12-12-2007, 11:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I just attended a short lecture on climate change. It is happening at a far faster rate than previously expected. This is a good thing from my point of view because I will still be around long enough to watch the show as well as watch the debunkers tread water.

I am amazed by the stubbornness of the investors in denying the situation. They stand to loose far more wealth continuing on the present path than by making the changes necessary to slow the warning even a little. Besides the possibilities for profit as we move out cities, the population and the industries to higher ground are absolutely tremendous. As the value of the existing shore front real estate is going to drown, I wonder why some people are not starting to sell short these investments. There will be huge losses but there will also be huge gains.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I just attended a short lecture on climate change. It is happening at a far faster rate than previously expected. This is a good thing from my point of view because I will still be around long enough to watch the show as well as watch the debunkers tread water.

I am amazed by the stubbornness of the investors in denying the situation. They stand to loose far more wealth continuing on the present path than by making the changes necessary to slow the warning even a little. Besides the possibilities for profit as we move out cities, the population and the industries to higher ground are absolutely tremendous. As the value of the existing shore front real estate is going to drown, I wonder why some people are not starting to sell short these investments. There will be huge losses but there will also be huge gains.
i agree there can be things to be gained by awareness of the likelihoods.

as for yeledaf, i wonder what, to you, the "gain" might be for those devoting their lives to understanding the planetary system and our impact on it? these are people that could be "gaining" lots financially, for example, by doing other things. scientists aren't getting rich by turning down other opportunities in the private sector, e.g., while continuing to do what they think is the right thing to do, for example.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:26 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
There will always be earth changes, we are coming out of an ice age, of course the earth is getting warmer. It's the ebb and flow, the ying and yang.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/...iew/index.html

When asked to raise their hands if they believed global climate change is a serious threat and caused by human activity, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson said he wasn't "doing hand shows today."

Other candidates agreed. Thompson asked if he could answer the question instead, but was told no.

looks like the repubs are planning on following Bush...

Old 12-12-2007, 01:56 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Lol, its like picking up the comics when I go to Google news and search for global warming articles. Now we are responsible for killing the penguins that kids loved so much in the movie "Happy Feet". We are killing all the cute CocaCola bears. Using computers causes global warming. Getting divorced causes global warming. Having babies causes global warming. Showering causes global warming. Using an oven causes global warming. Cell phones cause global warming. There is no activity that the ecofreaks aren't willing to assign global warming blame to. The articles are getting more sensationalistic and ridiculous to the point they are actually funny because they read like satire.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/...iew/index.html

When asked to raise their hands if they believed global climate change is a serious threat and caused by human activity, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson said he wasn't "doing hand shows today."

Other candidates agreed. Thompson asked if he could answer the question instead, but was told no.

looks like the repubs are planning on following Bush...

I don't like Fred Thompson a lot, but I would have given him a standing ovation on this one.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
do you think that climate change will, OVERALL, hurt or benefit you? now? in the future? how?

do you think climate change will, OVERALL, hurt or benefit your society? humankind? how?

what is your reasoning? what sources might you cite that have informed your reasoning? (i was not asking whom you trust, or how you think people are mislead: i am asking these particular questions and what sources you DO use, if any, to inform your responses.)

the information is out there from many sources, some you might trust, some not. that information can assist in our decisions and the discourse, can't it?
I'm sorry, but I cannot, with any confidence, predict harm or benefit beyond the perspective which I have presented. I do ask that you consider the importance of perceptions when considering human responses to external phenomena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies