Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:06 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I still have not heard from the President how he is going to pay for this plan nor have I heard details about how the doctors, labs, MRI centers etc are going handle all the extra patients, nor have I heard how this plan will actual lower cost. There are way to many unanswered questions and the President is not answering then. So this is a plan I can NOT get behind. I do think we need reform but I do not want to be in the dark and that is exactly where I am right now. I don't understand how anyone can get behind something they don't have the details to.
As for extra patients, I feel like people without health insurance are still using the system when they need it and I think he did mention that. Aren't there several different proposals? I have a problem with medical personnel being forced to do things that they don't agree with though like participating in abortions, but then I'm also like, well look at when a family member has to decide whether to let go or keep grasping at pro-longing life? I think that the doctors and nurses must honor that, regardless of their opinions. That's a hard decision either way, and a big issue for me as well. I don't agree with the idea I heard last night on fox that it will deter brilliant minds from going into medicine, that girl made it all about the money (they're still going to be paid well as they should be!), the doctor handled that well. I didn't agree with her but she handled it well, (she was against the health care proposal). She was like, 'I'm more concerned about the patients, and medicine is an exciting field!' So at least her opposition was founded in the real issue, the patients. I do agree though that more insight is needed, and maybe some sort of trial? I just love love love that you can't be turned away for a preexisting condition, my mom is a breast cancer survivor woo-hoo!

Old 07-24-2009, 09:20 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Lightbulb impressive health care

One very impressive point about this health care argument is to simply look at how wonderful the socialized medical care has been for our political leaders in Washington. There are so many old senators and congressmen back there it’s amazing and most of them are from the rightwing side of politics. If this socialized medical care is good enough for them it’s got to be good enough for my family and friends.

Then when you look at the health insurance system it also is working good for some of them. Look at Bill McGuire CEO of United Health Care who received 1.6Billion dollars in stock options for running the company back in 2006. (you can google this info yourself) However my family and I were deigned claims for medical care that year. Come to think of it be still can’t get United Health Care to pay a claim.

My guess is that if my family had the coverage that those in Washington had we would be in just as good of health and still have money left in our bank instead of giving it to Bill McGuire and UHC.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
One very impressive point about this health care argument is to simply look at how wonderful the socialized medical care has been for our political leaders in Washington. There are so many old senators and congressmen back there it’s amazing and most of them are from the rightwing side of politics. If this socialized medical care is good enough for them it’s got to be good enough for my family and friends.

Then when you look at the health insurance system it also is working good for some of them. Look at Bill McGuire CEO of United Health Care who received 1.6Billion dollars in stock options for running the company back in 2006. (you can google this info yourself) However my family and I were deigned claims for medical care that year. Come to think of it be still can’t get United Health Care to pay a claim.

My guess is that if my family had the coverage that those in Washington had we would be in just as good of health and still have money left in our bank instead of giving it to Bill McGuire and UHC.
Excellent points all

Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
A bit of perspective from Nate Silver:

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: The Healthcare Timeout is Fine.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
As for extra patients, I feel like people without health insurance are still using the system when they need it and I think he did mention that.
You would be wrong. There is lots of research to support that people w/o ins. wait longer to seek care, and are often sicker b/c of that. In my personal experience, this goes for the voluntarily uninsured as well.

Quote:
Aren't there several different proposals?
I think currently a Senate and a House version.

Quote:
I have a problem with medical personnel being forced to do things that they don't agree with though like participating in abortions

Actually, there is legislation that lets people opt out of helping to provide abortions.

Quote:
but then I'm also like, well look at when a family member has to decide whether to let go or keep grasping at pro-longing life? I think that the doctors and nurses must honor that, regardless of their opinions.
I agree.

Quote:
That's a hard decision either way, and a big issue for me as well. I don't agree with the idea I heard last night on fox that it will deter brilliant minds from going into medicine, that girl made it all about the money (they're still going to be paid well as they should be!), the doctor handled that well. I didn't agree with her but she handled it well, (she was against the health care proposal). She was like, 'I'm more concerned about the patients, and medicine is an exciting field!' So at least her opposition was founded in the real issue, the patients. I do agree though that more insight is needed, and maybe some sort of trial? I just love love love that you can't be turned away for a preexisting condition, my mom is a breast cancer survivor woo-hoo!
Unfortunately, I know of no legislation yet that requires insurers to take everyone regardless of pre-existing conditions. My 22 yr old daughter is a cancer survivor, and I worry about her ability to get ins. in the near future, when she has to go off our policy when she graduates from college.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:15 PM

If an insurance company even takes you because you happen to have a pre-existing condition ~ YOU will be charged EXTRA for each monthly premiums. Health care isn’t much different the auto insurance, have an accident your rates go UP. Life in an area of the country that has a population center of poor health or health issues ~ YOUR rates go UP. File a claim for anything, and you are told you’re not covered pre-existing condition or that isn’t covered in your policy because ,,,,,,,,

Insurance companies are for profit, hospitals are for profit, medical care is for profit, and anytime you’re sick you are costing them profit. Why did the healthcare system work so well years ago before it changed over to “for profit” ? Interesting how everyone wants to make money off of your illness, seems less then moral and ethical.

(yes ~ they covered operating costs at a reasonable percentage)

Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
From what I can tell the Senate is working towards the "non-profit co-op" route. I might would actually buy into that, surely if there's no profit then the rates would be much cheaper? I'd like to hear other's opinions on it, I seldom hear anyone here mention it.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:27 PM

Cap the profits to reasonable costs of medical services.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:40 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
To do nothing is sheer disaster in the making. We can no longer bury our heads in the sand when it comes to healthcare in America. Something must be done! I don't thing the Obama Plan is a 100% but it is 100% better than doing nothing.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:31 PM

It’s sad that a nation with this all of these problems and the republicans / conservatives / rightwingnuts just sit on their thumbs with no solutions. It’s time to work together and solve issues not delay a fix. Step up and help or get the hell out of the way!

Oh,,, yeah ,,, keep listening to the lies from the rightwing whacko Rush Limbaugh for answers from the right. Seems he’s still on his drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies