Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM

439 posts, read 443,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I propose and support a "flat tax percentage rate" across the board. This was suggested several years ago, but I cannot find any more referecnes to it online.

This idea suggests that everyone, regardless of income level, pays a flat tax rate (rates as low as 3% on annual income have been suggested).

While this may seem low, one needs to keep in mind that such a system would not only save the tax payers billions annually in everything from rebates to smaller g'ment beurocracy, it eliminates all tax loopholes, including the tax loopholes that only the top earners can use.

Such a system would eliminate deductables, rebates, EIC, etc and would also help to eliminate those taxes not collected because the current progressive system is so damnably compicated, while ensuring that everyone pays ONLY a fair share of the tax burden.
Currently the lower 50% of wage earners pay NO income tax.

Your plan will be unpopular because they will actually have to pay like everybody else.

Someone making $25,000 would pay $750 in taxes (or about $30 for a 2 week pay period) and NO tax refund at the end of the year.

I don't see Democrats supporting a fair plan that makes everybody pay something, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
Quote:
This article doesn't appear to concern income, so much as taxes and yet another loophole that moves the tax burden onto the working families. You now, the people that drive the economy forward.

Paying a fair share of one's income is not being taxed "disproportionatly".
This article discusses one single tax to attempt to prove that those making over 106K a year are not being taxed "fairly". How about we consider income tax and take a look at the percentage paid by those in the highest bracket.

When looking at all taxes combined, the rich carry this country. Holding up one single tax and saying "hey! this isn't fair" is on par with a spoiled child complaining that their 16th birthday BMW isn't the right color.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM

769 posts, read 887,485 times
Quote:
I propose and support a "flat tax percentage rate" across the board. This was suggested several years ago, but I cannot find any more referecnes to it online.

This idea suggests that everyone, regardless of income level, pays a flat tax rate (rates as low as 3% on annual income have been suggested).
I agree with flat tax. Other countries that have used it found their revenue increased as did their GDP. 17% I'm sure wouldn't be an opposable number. If liberals really just care about federal income revenue and not class envy then they would all support this, yet they don't.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
americans cheer when winners fall down. americans feel better about getting less if they see mr fancy pants losing his job too, preferably some sort of authority figure that they didnt like anyway, teachers cops social workers you know.
hence the popularity of flogging public servants.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-22-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
Currently the lower 50% of wage earners pay NO income tax.

Your plan will be unpopular because they will actually have to pay like everybody else.

Someone making $25,000 would pay $750 in taxes (or about $30 for a 2 week pay period) and NO tax refund at the end of the year.

I don't see Democrats supporting a fair plan that makes everybody pay something, sorry.
And your source for the "lower 50%"?

Also, check your math, if you would be so kind. $750 seems quite high for a mere 3%.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Also, check your math, if you would be so kind. $750 seems quite high for a mere 3%.
You could have checked it in like .5 seconds, and you should have, cause it is correct.

25000 x .03 = 750

Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Prison is a good deterrent for tax evasion.
And an over-utilized tax avoidance system.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
You could have checked it in like .5 seconds, and you should have, cause it is correct.

25000 x .03 = 750
I will fully and gladley admit that math isn't one of my strong points.

However, compare that $750 a year to what they pay now, before rebates and deductables.

Besides, if that is a family making $25,000 a year, chances are they also recieve g'ment subsedies. If it is a single person, they can well afford it.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM

I would guess if a flat tax were implemented there would be a cutoff at which you didn't have to pay. But no rebates. I think most to all conservatives would be extremely pleased with that.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
This article discusses one single tax to attempt to prove that those making over 106K a year are not being taxed "fairly". How about we consider income tax and take a look at the percentage paid by those in the highest bracket.

When looking at all taxes combined, the rich carry this country. Holding up one single tax and saying "hey! this isn't fair" is on par with a spoiled child complaining that their 16th birthday BMW isn't the right color.
Feel free to source "the rich carry this country", especially considering that they don't pay as large a portion of the tax burden as the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies