Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:44 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

It's called a "litmus test."

Old 07-22-2009, 12:46 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I don't know of anyone, republican or democratic that opposes healthcare reform. 50% of Americans do oppose a giant socialized overtake of the healthcare system that Obama is proposing, but I've yet to see anyone say that everything is fine as is. In other words, you're op is fake.
If you think this health care bill is socialized then you have no idea what socialization is or means.

If it was socialization, there would be no private companies involved and all health care employees would become government employees. That is not what is being proposed.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:47 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
If you think this health care bill is socialized then you have no idea what socialization is or means.

If it was socialization, there would be no private companies involved and all health care employees would become government employees. That is not what is being proposed.
Link?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Hiding behind a Bush just like hussein obama will not support your issues. Even the messiah does not know what is in the health care bill so why are you supporting it when you do not know what it's all about? Given that being a sheep in this economy is foolish.
You obviously didn't read the article. It analyzed the impact of republican vs. democratic policies on the middle class for the last 60 years. The studies consistently showed that under democrats, the middle class saw income growth nearly twice as fast as when republicans were in office.

As for the health care bill, the only aspect of it that I have a major problem with is that it doesn't move us to a single-payer system fast enough.

And the Democrats that are fighting it at this point are only doing so because they are funded by insurance lobbyists. The amount of money that insurance companies and others are pouring into lobbying and advertising to block this reform is staggering.

Lobbying Increases as Health Care Debate Intensifies - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Quote:
Please name one expense that has increased due to something Obama has done.
The federal deficit and cigarette taxes.

Threw in an extra one for you.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:

My cigarette tax,and while you scoff at that since we smokers were a easier target the other proposals they are doing like cap and trade and sugar based tax and whatnot effects everybody.Their proposals increase living expenses for middleclass,not one of their proposals on anything decreases costs,whether it is substance use,or energy use,or income taxes.

Last edited by lionking; 07-22-2009 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: forgot the r in increase

Old 07-22-2009, 12:51 PM

439 posts, read 443,370 times
Quote:
US government debt repayment (principal and interest)

We will all pay for Obama's folly.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:56 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I asked this question earlier - I'll ask it again.

Rejection of ONE Democratic proposal means the person is not a "true Democrat" and thus warrants dismissal from office or from the party; is that what you really mean?
Rejecting health care reform should be a "litmus test" for any democratic candidate. So yes, they should be dismissed from office if they are in the way. It's fine to negotiate the details and even disagree on some points, but this country absolutely needs this to happen. The current system is destroying our economy a little more every year. It's bankrupting small businesses and families. It has to change. So, I don't have time or patience for democrats that oppose health care reform, because it's the very issue that got them elected in the first place. I expect republicans to oppose this bill because they are lapdogs for the insurance industry, but then I didn't vote for any republicans.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:09 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:

I suggest your read the HR 676 bill.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:20 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
This is being way overhyped by the corporate media, desperate to slow health care reform any way it can, and eager to divert attention from what opposition to public health care says about a politician:

That he/she is owned by the insurance companies.
Is the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) owned by the insurance companies? Last week the head of the CBO (who was appointed by the Democrat leadership) testified before Congress that the plans now being considered in committee will not lower health care costs, as promised, but will actually end up raising those costs. One of the prime generators of reform is the need to lower costs and, hopefully, the cost of insurance premiums. If the Democrat plans won't do that then is it really reform? Or is it a sham? Why support a sham?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies