Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Yes. I caught that. I'm sure Dr.'s all over the place are impressed with that comment. That's one way to win hearts and minds..tell the public that Dr's would remove tonsils coz it reimburses at a higher rate.
Those doctors were obviously behaving "stupidly"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You would have to be a complete idiot not to realize what Obama meant.
We know what he meant, and why he said it, and what he was trying to gain from saying it. 0bama is using a straw man argument to scare people into approving of government run health care, to save them from unscrupulous, unethical, greedy selfish doctors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Don't tell me that most people are not aware of the unnecessary procedures and surgeries that are done in the United States. The people that are denying this fact are either liars or stupid or both. So if it is not your kids tonsils, it's your wife's ovaries.
More scare tactics from the left.

0bama stooped low, by using the unethical abuse of children by their doctors, to scare people into supporting his plan. It's one thing if a doctor requests a CAT scan when it may not be necessary, and quite another to be removing organs from children to make a buck.

You do realize that in our litigious society, doctors would rather order a CAT scan or MRI when it may not be necessary, just so the patient does not sue for medical malpractice?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I am a health care provider, and I really have a problem with any politician thinking they know how to practice medicine. This also goes for parents who call in wanting antibiotics, X-rays, etc for their kids w/o the kids being seen. Just one of my beefs.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
I truly do respect health care workers, and the difficult job they do. But I think Obama's comments are not just about some unethical doctors. I think it's about how money influences the things we do, sometimes not even consciously. If the system encourages a doctor to remove the tonsils rather than treat an allergy, a doctor, no matter how conscientious, no matter how ethical, will be influenced by the system. Not because he's greedy, but because all of us, no matter what jobs we perform, are quicker to challenge actions that are outside of a system, then to challenge actions that go along with a system. Humans conform to patterns. We are habitual. Socialization requires conformity. And conformity within a profession often falls to going along with what the system says is best. The fact that our health care system isn't only designed by health care professionals, but is also a product of insurance companies, and pharmaceutical companies, and legislators, all of whom have other agendas besides a patient's health, means that the a doctor going along with the system doesn't always act in the patient's best interests, despite the doctor's best intentions.

I don't see how Obama's proposals will fix this. But I thought it worth noting.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I truly do respect health care workers, and the difficult job they do. But I think Obama's comments are not just about some unethical doctors. I think it's about how money influences the things we do, sometimes not even consciously.
I would rep you if I could, but this is really the root of the reason that some kind of reform is needed.

The system has damaged various sectors of our society that don't operate very well given a profit motive, healthcare as cited is one, the media which has not been cited is another.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Up to now. But Obama is proposing to cut 500 million dollars from the Medicare budget. That means seniors are going to get rationed care.
In The Netherlands you get one mammogram if you are over 50 years old, every 2 years. Before you reach that age it is up to your primary physician if he gives you a prescription, if he doesn't "too bad".
Mammography screening (Breast cancer screening), survey data and programme data (Source OECD HEALTH DATA 2009, June 09) (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cacheC8QqgNiSlEJ:www.datasante.org/OCDEENG/311010.html+mammogram+,+nederland&cd=7&hl=en&ct=cl nk&gl=us - broken link)

For a pap smear it is once every 5 years if you above 30. My friend over there asked her physician to get one when she was 27...just because she had a baby and just to be sure, no special reason and she had a long term relation ship (married that year but in the same relationship for almost 9 years) so nothing that would course to be suspicious. Luckily the physician allowed it and btw the primary physicians are doing this not a gynecologist (you only get to go there if somethings are wrong). She had stage 3A and was treated for it. What if she had waited till she was 30 years old.

My dad just got a MRI after waiting for 6 weeks and 2 weeks after he got the results. He is 79 and not in good health. He had 5 bypasses when he was 59. Like 10 years ago he had a tumor in his stomach the size of a tennis ball, now he is taking like 15 medications daily. High blood pressure, diabetic (only because of being older, not because he is overweighted). He never smoked or drink anything else than one light (in Europe light beer is different than over here, it means less alcohol) beer at dinner when they go to a restaurant. Every time he goes to a doctor he get to hear the same..."it is because of your age"

I have written many times about my mother in law who came over here and was very sick on arrival. Her primary physician should never have allowed her to travel, but he did. Within 24 hours of being in the hospital after she was here 2 weeks, we knew exactly what was wrong with her. In 76 years over there they never figured it out...simply because they don't want to pay for the tests. When she got back they didn't test her for anything and we even send all the reports over there...they didn't look at it...she died 2 weeks later and did an autopsy since they were surprised she died so fast after being back. In the autposy reports was exactly what they had told us overhere and what they didn't want to listen to when we tried to explain. One of the many things she had was pancreatis and over there they feed her all greasy food, the more vet the better they told her since she was under weight and needed to gain weight accoring to them...that was the worst thing they could have done! Btw. her primary physician stated later that a blood pressure of 175/115 is okay for an elderly woman...when she arrived in the hospital it was 225/175....we were shocked, so were the people from the Dutch ins. but other than saying it to us, nothing has been done.

Lucky for them (hospital) , it is all government and you have no chance sueing them...so for them it is one less to take care of, for us it is different.

Hopefully you all hate or dislike your family members who are old...since they will get less care under Obama's health care pan, so you don't have to feel sorry when the same happens to your family member...it is easier than if you love the person and see this happening to them!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
My dad just got a MRI after waiting for 6 weeks and 2 weeks after he got the results. He is 79 and not in good health. He had 5 bypasses when he was 59. Like 10 years ago he had a tumor in his stomach the size of a tennis ball, now he is taking like 15 medications daily.

Who paid for the care your father received for these conditions, assuming he was in the Netherlands at the time? Who is paying for his drugs?

Doctors do make mistakes everywhere, sadly.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:24 PM

48 posts, read 101,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We know what he meant, and why he said it, and what he was trying to gain from saying it. 0bama is using a straw man argument to scare people into approving of government run health care, to save them from unscrupulous, unethical, greedy selfish doctors.

More scare tactics from the left.

0bama stooped low, by using the unethical abuse of children by their doctors, to scare people into supporting his plan. It's one thing if a doctor requests a CAT scan when it may not be necessary, and quite another to be removing organs from children to make a buck.

You do realize that in our litigious society, doctors would rather order a CAT scan or MRI when it may not be necessary, just so the patient does not sue for medical malpractice?
Absolutely right. Tort reform must be addressed to correct defensive medicine. Obama wants limited and only necessary testing but docs are faced with frivolous lawsuits driving more testings as a defensive measure. One miss and docs will get the trial attorney asking why more tests were not done. Obama and his party of trial lawyers will never allow medical tort reform. Its all BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies