Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which minority group in America faces the most stigmatation and discrimination?
Atheists 8 5.84%
Homosexuals 39 28.47%
Childless people 1 0.73%
Unmarried people 1 0.73%
Black people 21 15.33%
Hispanic people 5 3.65%
Asian people 4 2.92%
Jewish people 2 1.46%
Illegal immigrants 12 8.76%
People who do not speak English 6 4.38%
Other 32 23.36%
Not Sure 3 2.19%
No Opinion 3 2.19%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:12 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Atheists are the least trusted minority in the nation. Atheists Are Distrusted | American Sociological Association (http://www.asanet.org/cs/root/topnav/press/atheists_are_distrusted - broken link)

However, homosexuals have the least rights overall in the nation. If you couple the two together, you will have higher persecution...if you will (sorry for the dramatic tone).

Interestingly enough, this double whamy theory does not hold for African American women...who are more trusted than their male counterparts. Crime stats and hiring analysis comfirm this...as well as a population sampling.

Think of the fact that homosexual acts have mirred political careers in recent times. However, indiscretion with the opposite sex has not have as much a damaging effect.
Really is the Mayor of Portland still gay? If so i think he was gay and had a same sex scandal and kept his office, so what you're saying about gay's is complete malarkey.

In my personal career I've seen more gays in the work place (open or discreet lol) than ethnic minorities.

No to mention President Abe Lincoln was the first gay president.

The only area gays are highly discriminated against by law is in marriage. I have no problem with them getting married especially if it will increase the tax base. Hell, i'd be happy if a bunch white male gay couples or asian male gay couples moved into my neighborhood, just to raise the tax base. I could careless what they do in their bedroom. (I named those groups because white males and asian males have the highest income in the country)

I do not see many gays being discriminated on housing, loans, medical care, and a host of other things many groups like Native American, Minority Women, Hispanics, and Blacks have had to deal with.

I agree they have certainly been discriminated against, because of the church radicals, but most people really do not care, nor discriminate against gays in large part, because most of the time you don't even know if someone is gay or not. In my experience most of the gays are not flaming homosexual that we see in gay parades etc. Beyond the one's that want to get married and are stereotypical, I have a hard time identifying the majority of them.

My best friend from childhood was gay and i knew him all my life. I had no idea until he came out and told everyone. He certainly was not discriminated against for the most of his life and he lives in a big city, so beyond getting married, i do not see how he could even be labeled a highly discriminated group.

I just feel you need to have a host of other qualifiers and people need to be able to first identify you're part of that particular minority group before they can discriminate against you. I mean once he told me he was gay, i was able to discriminate against him lol. I do not have all day to guess who gay and who is not. I like my discrimination to be plain and simple. It is too much work to discriminate against gays. Now a Midget, Native, Asian, Black, or Hispanic Americans is much easier to discriminate against, because i know from 100 feet away who they are without all the guess work. I keep a handful of useful signs when im renting out apartments (No Midgets Need Apply etc)

Last edited by dorock99; 07-24-2009 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
White males.

Wasn't on the selection list.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:03 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
If this were the case, then how are the majority of elected officials straight, white, and male?

Changes the assumption that white males are sexist and racist how?

I did say they couldn't get elected. I said character flaws were assumed due to their race and gender.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Changes the assumption that white males are sexist and racist how?

I did say they couldn't get elected. I said character flaws were assumed due to their race and gender.
Well, if they are stigmatized that implies that the general population disdains them. If they are disdained by the general population, then they can't garner the votes to win.

So it contradicts that people somehow have an overall negative image of white males. Strangely, I've only met a minority of people who say that White males have a negative image...all of those people were conservative, White males.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 PM

[quote=dorock99;9930523]Really is the Mayor of Portland still gay? If so i think he was gay and had a same sex scandal and kept his office, so what you're saying about gay's is complete malarkey.

How is it malarkey? The press had a FIELD DAY. Reports condemning his character. The "well-funded newsroom" of The Oregonian had been criticized for failing to pursue both stories, and with the Goldschmidt case, publicly debated with Willamette Week on which publication reported more accurately and aggressively.Thus, other scandals occurred in the past in Portland, yet people focused intently on the issues surrounding Sam Adams. I wonder why...

In my personal career I've seen more gays in the work place (open or discreet lol) than ethnic minorities.

Doesn't really prove anyhing. What is your career? What location are you in? Too shakey to really be considered proof.

Historically not proven, and most sources claim unlikely. This is as true as Adolph Hitler was a Jew...simply not proven, and most sources claim no.

The only area gays are highly discriminated against by law is in marriage. I have no problem with them getting married especially if it will increase the tax base. Hell, i'd be happy if a bunch white male gay couples or asian male gay couples moved into my neighborhood, just to raise the tax base. I could careless what they do in their bedroom. (I named those groups because white males and asian males have the highest income in the country)

Don't ask don't tell is another. Also since some states don't recognize civil unions, this makes it hard on certain matters such as healthcare, hospital visitation, and the such...

I do not see many gays being discriminated on housing, loans, medical care, and a host of other things many groups like Native American, Minority Women, Hispanics, and Blacks have had to deal with.

Again, on a national level...if you lived in the middle of the US with your partner, you could not opt to be on your partner's medical program. Since in some states they don't recognize same sex civil unions. However, it would be illegal to deny coverage to your partner of a different sex based on race.

I agree they have certainly been discriminated against, because of the church radicals, but most people really do not care, nor discriminate against gays in large part, because most of the time you don't even know if someone is gay or not. In my experience most of the gays are not flaming homosexual that we see in gay parades etc. Beyond the one's that want to get married and are stereotypical, I have a hard time identifying the majority of them.

My best friend from childhood was gay and i knew him all my life. I had no idea until he came out and told everyone. He certainly was not discriminated against for the most of his life and he lives in a big city, so beyond getting married, i do not see how he could even be labeled a highly discriminated group.

On a national level, which this thread is dealing with...yes...see above examples.

I just feel you need to have a host of other qualifiers and people need to be able to first identify you're part of that particular minority group before they can discriminate against you. I mean once he told me he was gay, i was able to discriminate against him lol. I do not have all day to guess who gay and who is not. I like my discrimination to be plain and simple. It is too much work to discriminate against gays. Now a Midget, Native, Asian, Black, or Hispanic Americans is much easier to discriminate against, because i know from 100 feet away who they are without all the guess work. I keep a handful of useful signs when im renting out apartments (No Midgets Need Apply etc)[

There is overt and covert discrimination...not all discrimination is overt.

/quote]

Yo!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,479 times
[quote=that1guy;9935344]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Really is the Mayor of Portland still gay? If so i think he was gay and had a same sex scandal and kept his office, so what you're saying about gay's is complete malarkey.

How is it malarkey? The press had a FIELD DAY. Reports condemning his character. The "well-funded newsroom" of The Oregonian had been criticized for failing to pursue both stories, and with the Goldschmidt case, publicly debated with Willamette Week on which publication reported more accurately and aggressively.Thus, other scandals occurred in the past in Portland, yet people focused intently on the issues surrounding Sam Adams. I wonder why...

Doesn't really prove anyhing. What is your career? What location are you in? Too shakey to really be considered proof.

Historically not proven, and most sources claim unlikely. This is as true as Adolph Hitler was a Jew...simply not proven, and most sources claim no.

Don't ask don't tell is another. Also since some states don't recognize civil unions, this makes it hard on certain matters such as healthcare, hospital visitation, and the such...

Again, on a national level...if you lived in the middle of the US with your partner, you could not opt to be on your partner's medical program. Since in some states they don't recognize same sex civil unions. However, it would be illegal to deny coverage to your partner of a different sex based on race.

On a national level, which this thread is dealing with...yes...see above examples.

I just feel you need to have a host of other qualifiers and people need to be able to first identify you're part of that particular minority group before they can discriminate against you. I mean once he told me he was gay, i was able to discriminate against him lol. I do not have all day to guess who gay and who is not. I like my discrimination to be plain and simple. It is too much work to discriminate against gays. Now a Midget, Native, Asian, Black, or Hispanic Americans is much easier to discriminate against, because i know from 100 feet away who they are without all the guess work. I keep a handful of useful signs when im renting out apartments (No Midgets Need Apply etc)[

There is overt and covert discrimination...not all discrimination is overt.

/quote]

Yo!

Point one Gay Mayor kept his job after his gay sex scandal. Who cares how much press coverage it had. I did not even hear about it. I found out months later about the scandal, because the national media payed little to no attention to it.

Point two; No matter what you say homosexuals as an overall group will never ever under any circumstance be remotely close to as discriminated against as Minorities, Women, and Ethnic groups. The main reason is that you cannot walk up to most homosexuals and label them gay. Do you have any idea how many Gay people are Gay and live completely different lifestyles, that are not remotely stereotypical? First not all Gay's are flaming homosexuals, that run around in parades, are able to decorate a house, and pick out a fashionable pair of woman's designer shoes. Until all gays meet at the gay round table and decide to all act a like there is no way for the general population to know they are gay.

Point three; Lincoln could have been gay George Bush could have been gay. Who knows considering all the married men that secretly sleep with men in airport bathrooms and highway rest stops. Again refer to point 2

Point Four; Look I agree any stereotypical flaming gay may face more discrimination than a normal non-stereotypical gay, but the overwhelming fact is a racist can tell who is black, Hispanics, or Asian and a sexist can tell who is female or male, without blinking an eye or having to guess. Most people cannot tell who is gay and who is not, therefore the amount of discrimination is nill when compared to the other groups mentioned. For a gay to be discriminated they have to take some sort of action letting the public know they are gay. All the other groups that are discriminated against do not have to do that do they? You know a Black when you see them? You know a Hispanic when you see them? You know an Asian when you see them? You know a midget or dwarf when you see them?

They do not have to apply to get married before you decide you're not going to hire them, you're not going to give them a house, you're not going to give them credit do they?

Most decimation happens on face value. Sorry, but we do not have enough face value to recognize all gays and discriminate against them. Why don't you organize a gay round table meeting and have all gays agree to be lamming homosexuals so the general public can recognize them, then we can discriminate against all homosexuals. Then you can whine about how all homosexuals are discriminated against.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 AM

[quote=dorock99;9971375]
Quote:

Point one Gay Mayor kept his job after his gay sex scandal. Who cares how much press coverage it had. I did not even hear about it. I found out months later about the scandal, because the national media payed little to no attention to it.

So he went through HELL and back to keep his job. It's a mute point. Why must it have happened in the first place? The national media had extensive coverage. It was featured on the cover of Time magazine (typically seen as a barametor of media coverage).

Point two; No matter what you say homosexuals as an overall group will never ever under any circumstance be remotely close to as discriminated against as Minorities, Women, and Ethnic groups. The main reason is that you cannot walk up to most homosexuals and label them gay. Do you have any idea how many Gay people are Gay and live completely different lifestyles, that are not remotely stereotypical? First not all Gay's are flaming homosexuals, that run around in parades, are able to decorate a house, and pick out a fashionable pair of woman's designer shoes. Until all gays meet at the gay round table and decide to all act a like there is no way for the general population to know they are gay.

Being a minority, seeing the stats, and being generally aware of social commentary...what you propose is a nice ideal, but it's simply not true. Of course you don't know when a person is gay or not by looking. The same is true of religion. So why is it that atheists are the least trusted group in America? The thing is not whether or not people will know upon looking at you, but what people will do once they know. Why is it that homosexual teenagers comprise the majority of homeless teenagers? Also, another bit of discrimination...an Arkansas politician doesn't want homosexuals in their homeless shelters.

Point three; Lincoln could have been gay George Bush could have been gay. Who knows considering all the married men that secretly sleep with men in airport bathrooms and highway rest stops. Again refer to point 2

Not really...

Point Four; Look I agree any stereotypical flaming gay may face more discrimination than a normal non-stereotypical gay, but the overwhelming fact is a racist can tell who is black, Hispanics, or Asian and a sexist can tell who is female or male, without blinking an eye or having to guess. Most people cannot tell who is gay and who is not, therefore the amount of discrimination is nill when compared to the other groups mentioned. For a gay to be discriminated they have to take some sort of action letting the public know they are gay. All the other groups that are discriminated against do not have to do that do they? You know a Black when you see them? You know a Hispanic when you see them? You know an Asian when you see them? You know a midget or dwarf when you see them?

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Again it's not about knowing, but the consequences. Many I know (I'm bisexual) didn't care...however, there are some that would care. So you see, it's not about looking at somebody and judging them. Things are more subtle and nuanced since Jim Crow.

They do not have to apply to get married before you decide you're not going to hire them, you're not going to give them a house, you're not going to give them credit do they?

So it's okay to deny benefits of group health to your significant partner? If you live in Texas and have a life partner, they can't claim your health insurance. If you are married, they can.

Most decimation happens on face value. Sorry, but we do not have enough face value to recognize all gays and discriminate against them. Why don't you organize a gay round table meeting and have all gays agree to be lamming homosexuals so the general public can recognize them, then we can discriminate against all homosexuals. Then you can whine about how all homosexuals are discriminated against.

Not true at all. Most discrimination nowdays is covert, not overt. Pretty much I've stated the ways in which discrimination occurs. On a social level, people passing judgement calling for resignation of mayors and other politicians. On a financial/health level denying health benefits to same sex partners in MANY states. On a political level, passing laws such a Prop. 8. You can't do that with minorities and women, but you can with homosexuals.
Morning.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 AM

201 posts, read 239,962 times
White people. To be even more to the point white males suffer alot of discrimination.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
White people

Old 07-27-2009, 02:09 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot14 View Post
White people. To be even more to the point white males suffer alot of discrimination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
White people
???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies