Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which minority group in America faces the most stigmatation and discrimination?
Atheists 8 5.84%
Homosexuals 39 28.47%
Childless people 1 0.73%
Unmarried people 1 0.73%
Black people 21 15.33%
Hispanic people 5 3.65%
Asian people 4 2.92%
Jewish people 2 1.46%
Illegal immigrants 12 8.76%
People who do not speak English 6 4.38%
Other 32 23.36%
Not Sure 3 2.19%
No Opinion 3 2.19%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I would say Hispanics, specifically Mexicans are the most stigmatized. It seems like every problem in the U.S., people find some way to blame them for it. Seriously. On top of that, they are belittled and talked poorly about by just about every group in the U.S., and that includes other Hispanic groups.

2nd would probably be homosexuals, for similar reasons.
Except that Mexicans, as a rule, are deeply prejudiced against homosexuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Fat people!!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Name calling is not what I call discrimination.
Name calling is the first step toward discriminatory actions or treatment.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Every month is White History Month, it just isn't labeled as such.
Man, why is this the answer every time black or white history is brought up? What would be so wrong with a white history month? So what if you learned a lot about white people in school. Is it their fault they have been on the forefront of civilization for a lot of recorded history. These days, nothing dealing with white people is OK, and recently they have become the most stigmatized group out there. They aren't allowed to be proud, because that makes them racist. They aren't allowed to have a history month, because they are so prominent in recorded history anyway. They aren't allowed to have "WET" TV, because for some reason that would be racist too even though there are networks out there devoted entirely to Latinos,Blacks, etc.

White men of today aren't responsible for every bad thing white people have done throughout history, and they shouldn't be demonized to the extent they are on a nearly daily basis. Of course, black men are still at the top of most people's list of those who suffer under discrimination but why, I just don't know. Any black person who really wants to succeed has an automatic advantage over white people. The black man is no longer America's punching bag, no matter how many times Obama and others say it.

Homosexuals have made tremendous strides, only lacking the right to marriage to make their lives complete. And most have come to accept them, if not their lifestyles.

As far as Native Americans go, I am half Cherokee and I have never witnessed any discrimination against Indians. Most people tend to think they are pretty cool.

Hispanics are facing hard times these days, but it is for the most part the fault of the illegals. Naturalized Hispanic citizens do not face the same disdain that the illegals do. And even the illegals are sitting pretty, with our government looking after them.

As for Jewish and Asian people, they pretty much have it made in America. Aside from Aryan brotherhood type groups, there aren't many people who just don't like Jews. Heck, they have the support of millions and millions of Christians. And I have never really seen anyone yelling "Get out of our country you Asian" Maybe it happens, but I doubt they are the most discriminated against.

And last, the childless and unmarried, definately don't face discrimation here in the US. Although, they do get screwed in the tax department so that may just make them feel discriminated against.

But all in all, if I had to name the top 3 for this day and time, I would have to say illegals, whites, and people who do not speak English. Because let's face it, if you can't speak English, many just assume you are an illegal alien no matter where you came from or what your status is. Mostly because we deal with so many illegal aliens on a regular basis. It gets annoying when you can't even understand the salesman at the cell phone store you know.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Name calling is the first step toward discriminatory actions or treatment.
Sure, thats true.
But don't you agree that if you have a lot of experiences with a certain "race" you become unwillingly biased. It is not good, but thats the sad truth;

Old 07-23-2009, 09:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Blacks hands down as they suffered the injustice of slavery and had to fight a hard battle in order to be treated equally. The so-called "hate crimes" against homosexuals pales in comparison to the crimes perpetrated against blacks. Nothing the homosexuals have ever faced remotely compares to what blacks have gone through.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Man, why is this the answer every time black or white history is brought up? What would be so wrong with a white history month? So what if you learned a lot about white people in school. Is it their fault they have been on the forefront of civilization for a lot of recorded history. These days, nothing dealing with white people is OK, and recently they have become the most stigmatized group out there. They aren't allowed to be proud, because that makes them racist. They aren't allowed to have a history month, because they are so prominent in recorded history anyway. They aren't allowed to have "WET" TV, because for some reason that would be racist too even though there are networks out there devoted entirely to Latinos,Blacks, etc.

White men of today aren't responsible for every bad thing white people have done throughout history, and they shouldn't be demonized to the extent they are on a nearly daily basis. Of course, black men are still at the top of most people's list of those who suffer under discrimination but why, I just don't know. Any black person who really wants to succeed has an automatic advantage over white people. The black man is no longer America's punching bag, no matter how many times Obama and others say it.

Homosexuals have made tremendous strides, only lacking the right to marriage to make their lives complete. And most have come to accept them, if not their lifestyles.

As far as Native Americans go, I am half Cherokee and I have never witnessed any discrimination against Indians. Most people tend to think they are pretty cool.

Hispanics are facing hard times these days, but it is for the most part the fault of the illegals. Naturalized Hispanic citizens do not face the same disdain that the illegals do. And even the illegals are sitting pretty, with our government looking after them.

As for Jewish and Asian people, they pretty much have it made in America. Aside from Aryan brotherhood type groups, there aren't many people who just don't like Jews. Heck, they have the support of millions and millions of Christians. And I have never really seen anyone yelling "Get out of our country you Asian" Maybe it happens, but I doubt they are the most discriminated against.

And last, the childless and unmarried, definately don't face discrimation here in the US. Although, they do get screwed in the tax department so that may just make them feel discriminated against.

But all in all, if I had to name the top 3 for this day and time, I would have to say illegals, whites, and people who do not speak English. Because let's face it, if you can't speak English, many just assume you are an illegal alien no matter where you came from or what your status is. Mostly because we deal with so many illegal aliens on a regular basis. It gets annoying when you can't even understand the salesman at the cell phone store you know.

Actually, it is their fault. They write most of the material for educational media.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:49 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Homeless...

Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 AM

117 posts, read 293,565 times
Anyone of Mexican descent. One look, and people will think they are an illegal alien who wants to kill, rape, and reclaim the Southwest all while doing your yard work.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:52 AM

79 posts, read 43,908 times
Gays now more than ever. But you know what they say about people who point fingers...they've got three pointing back and themselves. Just ask Haggard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies