Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I heard on the news that congress would have a different health plan than the rest of us, so no they would not be asked this question. It is frightening to have a president talk about health care rationing. Sick! Sick! Sick!
WTF is wrong with you?
You will have options to pay for your own medical insurance, first of all.
Secondly, the issue is between you and your doctor.
I have private insurance, I think this is a great idea.
What's the harm, what's the foul?
As usual, it's all in your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:13 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I know it can be changed at anytime. BUT it is not manditory for a patient to do it every 5 yrs and once again...this is not the same thing.

I'm faking that I work in the medical field? LOL I am a PharmD so yes I do work in the medical field.
LOL Pharm D.....not advanced enough.......

Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
LOL.

This is such a funny thread.

For one, what is wrong with meeting up with your doctor when you are over 65 and talking about death? You are closer to death and the doctor can give you some options and checks up. They can help you set up a will if you have not yet and other recommendations.

I do not see anything wrong with it.

But of course, Convservatives are against ANYTHING that MIGHT help the citizens and the people of the United States.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
‘‘Advance Care Planning Consultation

‘‘(hhh)(1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), the
term ‘advance care planning consultation’ means a consultation between the individual and a practitioner described in paragraph (2) regarding advance care planning, if, subject to paragraph (3), the individual involved has
not had such a consultation within the last 5 years. Such consultation shall include the following:
‘‘(A) An explanation by the practitioner of advance care planning, including key questions and considerations, important steps, and suggested people to talk to.

‘‘(B) An explanation by the practitioner of advance directives, including living wills and durable powers of attorney, and their uses.

‘‘(C) An explanation by the practitioner of the role and responsibilities of a health care proxy.

‘‘(D) The provision by the practitioner of a list of national and State-specific resources to assist consumers and their families with advance care planning, including the national toll-free hotline, the advance care planning clearinghouses, and State legal service organizations (including those funded through the Older Americans Act of 1965).

‘‘(E) An explanation by the practitioner of the continuum of end-of-life services and supports available, including palliative care and hospice, and benefits for such services and supports that are available under this title.
These are all common sense (well, perhaps not too common among right wingers) recommendations that help the patient take control of his/her end-of-life care ahead of time when he/she is still able to. It's all about providing information to the patient so he/she can make autonomous decisions. Is this what JennySquirrel is so flustered about? Once again, I doubt the OP understands health care issues, much less is a professional in the field.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:46 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I think Jenny Squirrel thinks this means you are obligated to get an appointment with your doctor every 5 years just to discuss Advanced Directives,etc.

I take it to mean that, if you haven't ever filed an AD and/or it's been over 5 years, the doctor is obligated to ask about your desires and make you aware of all the issues

I could be wrong

Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
The Eskimos solved this problem eons ago... When people turn 65 sit them out
on an iceberg and let the polar bears eat them. This would also deal with the
dwindling polar bear population by providing a abundant food supply. Oops, it
might create a lot more methane gas which would contribute to global warming.
Such a conundrum.. What to do? ummmmmm

Old 07-24-2009, 11:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I think Jenny Squirrel thinks this means you are obligated to get an appointment with your doctor every 5 years just to discuss Advanced Directives,etc.

I take it to mean that, if you haven't ever filed an AD and/or it's been over 5 years, the doctor is obligated to ask about your desires and make you aware of the all issues

I could be wrong
I think that's what Jenny was saying, but we have looked at the law, once Emeralmaiden provided a link that Jenny wouldn't do, and that's not what the law says. The quote is very brief, but it does talk about health care practitioners counseling their patients about such issues if they haven't done so in the past 5 years. I can't get the link to work on my computer; I don't know if this means when they go to the hospital or what. But I do believe Jenny interpreted it incorrectly.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
In the Obama care plan, anyone over 65 needs to meet with an appointed Dr. every 5 yrs to discuss dignity and dying decisions. They will make suggestions and recommendations for you.

This is for everyone, not just people who are sick

So for all of you 65 and over, get ready to be counseled on your "options" and have Uncle Sam make recommendations.
Memo to self: Select a doctor who is older than I am!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
These are all common sense (well, perhaps not too common among right wingers) recommendations that help the patient take control of his/her end-of-life care ahead of time when he/she is still able to. It's all about providing information to the patient so he/she can make autonomous decisions. Is this what JennySquirrel is so flustered about? Once again, I doubt the OP understands health care issues, much less is a professional in the field.
DANG! I'm almost 63 years old. I've had a power of attorney for health care for almost 20 years, periodically updated even, as well as a will and good estate planning. I am well aware of my medical benefits as they are now and Medicare is no mystery to me. In fact, I have life-long prescription benefits from my retirement so I never need to enroll in Part D. I am also well-versed in both hospice and in-home care provisions.

What I am saying is that I am perfectly capable of making my own decisions, including any pertaining to my eventual assumption of room temperature. I DO not need government to lead me around by the hand or the nose.

How unfortunate that the concept of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is lost on so many!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 PM

439 posts, read 443,409 times
Dr Kevorkian is ready to do your consultation, sir. Step right this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies