U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:17 PM

26,733 posts, read 17,350,392 times

Advertisements

(Pittsburgh) – This week’s U.S. Commerce Department’s report of the $29 (B) billion April trade deficit highlights the continued threat China poses to a possible economic recovery fueled by a resurgence in industrial manufacturing.

"Until the unfair trade practices in China are stopped, including adjusting the exchange rate to reflect market conditions, we’ll never have balanced trade that benefits both American workers and businesses,”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 PM

40 posts, read 132,742 times
I wish they would also stop trying to kill us with their contaminated, toxic and otherwise entirely unhealthy products!

Have you tried going to the store to buy something non-Chinese?? It's impossible, and believe me, since my recent toxic Chinese Drywall issue, I've been REALLY trying! Every time I find something that was Made in the USA I feel that I've experienced a miracle!

I'd love to be part of a group that encourages buying products manufactured by american companies, but there's just not enough american manufacturing to make what we need for every day life. It feels like the chicken or the egg dilemma. I'd love to know what solutions or options we do have. Please do advise if you have any ideas. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedChineseDrywall View Post
I wish they would also stop trying to kill us with their contaminated, toxic and otherwise entirely unhealthy products!

Have you tried going to the store to buy something non-Chinese?? It's impossible, and believe me, since my recent toxic Chinese Drywall issue, I've been REALLY trying! Every time I find something that was Made in the USA I feel that I've experienced a miracle!

I'd love to be part of a group that encourages buying products manufactured by american companies, but there's just not enough american manufacturing to make what we need for every day life. It feels like the chicken or the egg dilemma. I'd love to know what solutions or options we do have. Please do advise if you have any ideas. Thanks!
Here's a website that might interest you.

American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA

I go way out of my way not to buy Chinese crap. If I cannot find what I need made in the USA, I opt for something made with fair trade policies. I read about the drywall situation. So sorry that you were a victim of that...how awful. What is the recourse?

I see a Walmart and I fume. I am so glad that NYC would not allow one to open there. Flag wavers sing the praises of Walmart and I think that it is hysterically funny as you could not be more unpatriotic as when you shop there and other stores like it.

I find that when you look for organic clothing or products, they are usually American made or at least fair trade.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
Well we don't have much of a choice when so much manufacturing left US shores for other countries.

Try to find a US made toaster oven..just try.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:57 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,476,345 times
it's more complex than that.

China has an absolute advantage in manufacturing. So really, how can the USA compete?

Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well we don't have much of a choice when so much manufacturing left US shores for other countries.

Try to find a US made toaster oven..just try.

Cookware & Kitchen Appliances for your Kitchen - Cool-Kitchenware-zzzzz

This site is on the Made in The USA list, but I think the toaster oven was a Sanyo...isn't that from Japan? I'd still rather buy Japanese as opposed to Chinese if you must purchase the toaster oven. Why aren't we making those here? What a shame.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/appliances.html

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-24-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 01:11 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Cookware & Kitchen Appliances for your Kitchen - Cool-Kitchenware-zzzzz

This site is on the Made in The USA list, but I think the toaster oven was a Sanyo...isn't that from Japan? I'd still rather buy Japanese as opposed to Chinese if you must purchase the toaster oven. Why aren't we making those here? What a shame.
Once you really try to buy American and go out shopping the reality of it will hit you pretty hard. I did spend a Saturday on the 4th toaster oven replacement and looked for the "Made in XXXX" on the box. The cheap crap coming from overseas just does not last. I went to 5 stores and not a one was made in the US of A.

Even good old Hershey chocolate is totally made outside the US.
I think the Peppermint Patties were the last to go to Mexico.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:13 PM

17,001 posts, read 8,641,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
it's more complex than that.

China has an absolute advantage in manufacturing. So really, how can the USA compete?
Alls I know is I want to buy other than made in China. Some Americans want the good stuff even if it costs more, smarter investment. How does china have such an advantage? I can only speculate

Old 07-24-2009, 01:13 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,452,681 times
http://www.census.gov/indicator/www/img/ustrade.gif (broken link)

http://www.census.gov/indicator/www/ustrade.html

Your anger is misplaced. Try thinking for yourself instead of having others do it for you. Our trade deficit is lower than it's been in a long while.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:19 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,476,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Alls I know is I want to buy other than made in China. Some Americans want the good stuff even if it costs more, smarter investment. How does china have such an advantage? I can only speculate
China is a poorer country, so it's cheaper to manufacture there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies