Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:17 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRise View Post
Irish people have completely assimilated into the mainstream, so yeah, of course you would let it go. You're no longer the target of discrimination. Please believe once that happens for black people, we'll "let it go" to.
You are incorrect. The discrimination against the Irish was so bad that most went into the mountains to live in isolation. Many still live there in Appalachia in isolation and poverty. Today they are called mountain people or hillbillys and are still discriminated against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 11:41 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
White people vote for candidates based on the color of their skin ALL THE TIME. PLENTY of white people voted AGAINSTED Obama BECAUSE HE IS BLACK. Is that ok??? You guys can never look at your own biases and prejudices WHICH ARE PLENTY.
There are not enough blacks in America to elect Obama so there had to have been plenty of white voters that voted FOR Obama. Would he had been elected in the 60's? Probably not as we were so backwards on race issues. Although racism still exists in some extents, you have to admit that we have made tremendous progress in racial matters. Racism is no longer practiced by the mainstream but by the extremists in our country.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
The "best I can come up with"? It wasn't an issue of besting, dear. Regardless of how "weak" an argument it is, it's still valid. Despite this statistic, can you guess who gets followed around in retail establishments the most?

White people corner the market on racism. Until blacks and latinos have the power to oppress white people, there is no comparison. When is the last time you heard about whites being mistreated by a minority group?
Is this what you are looking for? The power to oppress whites? What ever happened to MLK dream of equality ... of judging folks based upon their merits versus the color of their skin?

Contrary to popular belief, minorities can and do engage in racism as well. As a white person, I have faced discrimination by blacks and latinos but I don't attribute my negative experience to the entire population of blacks or latinos. In the same tokin, why are people viewing whites as a monolithic group that seeks to oppress minorities? When we as a society begin to view folks based upon their merits and stop looking at skin color, then we will progress. This has to happen on BOTH sides.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It's not a cop out. If minorities are TARGETED--which they are--it's a true statement. Why aren't the criminals who put the WHOLE COUNTRY in jeopardy with their banking greed sitting in jails right now??? Their crime affected a whole lot more people than someone who murdered a a person...or sold them drugs...or burglarized a home.

INJUSTICE.
And I'm sure that all of the bankers are white.

Should we just stop punishing the guilty then because not every person that commits a crime is sitting in prison?

Old 07-25-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I do, both sides of my family were oppressed and treated as scum, and I am about as white skinned as you are going to get ( thanks to the Irish side of me) My grandmother would tell me horrible stories of the concentration camps and the Nazi's ( she wasn't Jewish, just a friend of them and the family was punished for it). And my great grandmother and great great grandmother left diaries telling of their treatment when they came from Ireland to the US. Nothing I would ever want to endure. Please don't lump a race into one category, not all of any race are the same.

My family had to let it go and move on. Not healthy or productive to live with hate.
Exactly! I am of Irish decent (but adopted by non-Irish). I did not even realized that the Irish faced so much oppression here in the US until I took a sociology class in college. There were even signs stating that "Irish need not apply". From a young age, I heard about the oppression of blacks and other minorities which was drilled into me in history classes but never about the injustices faced by the Irish or the Eastern Europeans in this country. Now all of a sudden, we are all the same and think the same and have the same culture and the same experiences here in the US, etc? Yes, no group has suffered more in this country than blacks but it is incorrect to state that whites have never been oppressed or denied opportunities.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:07 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,369 times
Anyone else think its outright silly and plain stupid that a few folks here seem to be implying that blacks only support other blacks and there is no such thing as white discrimination or whites choosing to support their race first? Was someone here homeschooled in the south, or what?

As Dope said, everyone race is guilty of have members that go out of their way to protect their own at the detriment of others. Obviously whites are most noticeable at this because they have always been the majority, and via that the most empowered group. But if any other group where in charge, it would be the same thing. Its human history.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Your point? There are other blacks who are Republican too! *gasp* And they tend to be privileged.
*gasp* You mean there are actually PRIVILEDGED blacks out there? I thought only whites were priviledged in this country.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Exactly. White people can go their WHOLE lives without interacting white blacks or other minorities. Not so for other groups.
I had went to several schools where I was the only white. I recall meeting a black 15 year old classmate who stated that she has never met a white person before me (this was in the late 80's). In this diverse day and age, it's very difficult for anyone to go through their entire lives without encountering folks from other races.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
LOL, and I will be straight up, I don't think too many white people are clamoring to go where we hang out anyways. =P
There are quite a number of whites that enjoy soul or creole food and you really can't get that in a "white" neighborhood. I am one of those.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
This is bull****, because let a white person be discriminated against in a black establishment, you can bet your life that we'd be hearing about it. Getting "looks" is not the same as being treated unfairly.
I recall receiving poor service at a black restaurant but I did not make an issue out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies