Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 12:15 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times

Advertisements

It seems that professor Gates had a major issue with the 911 report issued on him. It was just comical to read his version. He very clearly has a big case of victimhood mentality:

Quote:
My driver is a large black man. But from afar you and I would not have seen he was black. He has black hair and was dressed in a two-piece black suit, and I was dressed in a navy blue blazer with gray trousers and, you know, my shoes. And I love that the 911 report said that two big black men were trying to break in with backpacks on. Now that is the worst racial profiling I’ve ever heard of in my life. (Laughs.) I’m not exactly a big black man. I thought that was hilarious when I found that out, which was yesterday.

So now it is racial profiling for someone to REPORT that a possible criminal is large and black? WTF are we supposed to do from now on? I can just see it now, politically correct calls to 911 in the future:

911: This is 911 do you have an emergency?

Caller: Yes, there are 2 human beings trying to break in a home.

911: Can you tell me what is happening?

Caller: Yes, the humans are prying door open and going inside.

911: Can you give me a description of the humans prying open the door?

Caller: Well, they are 2 humans, and they have hands, eyes, ears, and I think they are wearing shoes.

911: Ok thank you we will dispatch the police.

911 to police: Attention all units, you are advised to be on the lookout for 2 human beings with eyes, hands, ears, and they could also possibly be wearing shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 02:58 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
The difference here is that Mr. Gates says his driver was big and black, then says its racial profiling that the 911 report said the suspects were big and black.
The key word is suspect(s). Mr. Gates is far from "big". If that were Gary Coleman and Emmanuael Lewis, she still would've said, big and black.

Also, what's big? 5'9 145? 6'2" 220? What? It seems that all black men are big when they're believed to be doing something wrong.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:16 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
The key word is suspect(s). Mr. Gates is far from "big". If that were Gary Coleman and Emmanuael Lewis, she still would've said, big and black.

Also, what's big? 5'9 145? 6'2" 220? What? It seems that all black men are big when they're believed to be doing something wrong.
If one person was large, it is easily concievable that one looking at them from a distance would assume that one is very large and the other still large. People get build descriptions wrong all the time, but 911 and police still ask for any details they can possibly give. Once a caller gives the details, it is the responsibility of the 911 dispatcher to relay the same information to the police and for the police to use that information in their search. There is no "profiling" going on, and yet Gates calls it the worst case of racial profiling he has ever heard.

Next thing you know midgets are going to be outraged if someone calls in to report them as being a short person....

BTW, most calls giving descriptions of possible criminals of ANY color overestimate their height and weight. It is not a black thing. My brother was playing with his BB gun when he was a kid and him and a friend were near a highway. A driver saw them with their bb guns near the road and thought they had high powered rifles and phoned the cops. 8 law enforcement vehicles swarmed our property with all guns drawn searching for "2 large white men, 1 with a beard, carrying high powered rifles aiming at cars on the freeway". They chased my brother and his friend down as they ran because they were scared. They cuffed them and took them to the police station. Neither of them were large, neither had a beard, and they had a Daisy bb gun shooting at a roadside sign just so they could here the sound of their bb's hitting the sign. Wonder why the caller, the dispatcher, and the cops all believed that 2 large white men, 1 with a beard carrying a high powered rifle were in the woods? The caller at least got the number of people and the race correct. People call in and say what they thought they saw.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:26 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,369 times
I dont see what this has to do with Gates. And though PC is a pretty stupid concept, I understand why its need intially came into place.

Without it, a few of you here from the south would still be referring to natives as 'injuns', hispanics as the S word and of course, blacks as the N word.

Granted, PC culture did not change people attitudes and tendencies, it only codified ethnic slurs, and pushed the terminology underground. Instead of the N word, the singular term 'black' or 'welfare users' or 'urban' is used, and instead of the S word, 'illegals' and 'manuels' and 'essay' is used. It just goes to show you cant make insensitive people and idiots into intelligent people by asking them to change their language.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:03 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,287 times
The right wing are the PC police, nobody else. Look how upset they are about everything. One look no further than this forum to see that. lol.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:17 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
the only person guilty of "racial profiling" here was the neighbor who called the police. I'm far from a police defender but they were just responding to the call - their job.

when a police officer asks for your ID, you give it to him, simple. If he'd done that and not got upset and thrown a temper tantrum and screamed "do you know who I am" among other things he wouldn't have been disorderly and it wouldn't have gotten as far as it did.

but go ahead, play the race card for everything in this country, it's sickening. our diversity isn't our strength. it's a total myth and situations like this prove it. diversity would be a strength if we weren't so hung up on race and ethnicity in this country but we are and I can't imagine when this country will ever get beyond it.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:35 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
but go ahead, play the race card for everything in this country, it's sickening. our diversity isn't our strength. it's a total myth and situations like this prove it. diversity would be a strength if we weren't so hung up on race and ethnicity in this country but we are and I can't imagine when this country will ever get beyond it.
This is in and of itself the biggest problem with the United States today. Everyone is running around trying to find their "label". Everyone is so busy trying to find the label they need we have all forgotten the most important labels we need to have:

Human and American

If we could just stick with those to labels as being important and everything else just minor details this country could be the greatest in the world again. Instead of being a united country all working together to make things better for our fellow Americans and our fellow humans, we spend time cutting each other down, and screaming "You have to respect me! I am a <insert label here>!"

But Americans have gotten to like belonging to one team or the other, and like most sports, the hate towards the other teams seems to be contagious.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:42 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
This is in and of itself the biggest problem with the United States today. Everyone is running around trying to find their "label". Everyone is so busy trying to find the label they need we have all forgotten the most important labels we need to have:

Human and American

If we could just stick with those to labels as being important and everything else just minor details this country could be the greatest in the world again. Instead of being a united country all working together to make things better for our fellow Americans and our fellow humans, we spend time cutting each other down, and screaming "You have to respect me! I am a <insert label here>!"

But Americans have gotten to like belonging to one team or the other, and like most sports, the hate towards the other teams seems to be contagious.
I agree....I get so sick of the "word of the day" who feel as if THEY are now being "victimized"...........put your big girl panties on and toughen up or get the hell out of our faces...either way the rest of the country wins and doesn't have to listen to the whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies