Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:43 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I'd vote for that
I vote for a real revolution where we peasants take up arms and take back our streets from the real thugs. Just surround them in Dunkin Donuts parking lots and make citizens arrests. They are more corrupt then the govt. and they are the soldiers of the govt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 12:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
We have plenty of video footage that shows police actually doing that. Police here actually cut the freaking tape off. Incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?index=1...42U&playnext=1

That's what so many Americans wanted Obama to do, the status quo. Just blindly back the Officer. There's some change if you ask me. Police should be held to the highest of standards.
here is what is sad. that driver almost killed several people innocent people. why were the community leaders not concerned about that.
they were only concerned about the conduct of the cops, nothing else.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:12 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
That's what so many Americans wanted Obama to do, the status quo. Just blindly back the Officer.
No, my friend. What many Americans are saying is that since Obama did not have the facts as he himself said, he should not have made any comment. Blindly back the officer? I've not heard that one at all. Where did you get this? You just made it up?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:25 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,835 times
I have to agree with most of the previous posters....cops are out of control in this country. They will taser you first and ask questions later. Their game is one of intimidation. Say anything or question any action of a police officer and you will be slammed to the ground and/or worse. A lot of them are frustrated high school jocks with a badge and a gun and anger management issues. Lets raise the standards to say a 4 year college degree with lots of psych training and pay them appropriately. A review board in each city that has members from the citizenry instead of the police department would also go a long way to stopping a lot of this abuse

Old 07-26-2009, 04:35 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
I have to agree with most of the previous posters....cops are out of control in this country. They will taser you first and ask questions later. Their game is one of intimidation. Say anything or question any action of a police officer and you will be slammed to the ground and/or worse. A lot of them are frustrated high school jocks with a badge and a gun and anger management issues. Lets raise the standards to say a 4 year college degree with lots of psych training and pay them appropriately. A review board in each city that has members from the citizenry instead of the police department would also go a long way to stopping a lot of this abuse
I have to agree that there are more 'bad apples' within the ranks of the police than any other occupation. First, power corrupts. Second, this occupation attracts a high percentage of folks who are prone to be corrupted by power.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
How true. But rather then ex jocks I believe most of them are ex nerds who were picked on in school. Being a pig gives them opportunity for revenge on society. Did you know that a future pig is allowed to fail cultural sensitivity class at the pig acadamy and still pass the acadamy? Hell a college education is not even required to be a pig.

I do love your idea for a citizens review board. If we peasants break a law we are judged by a jury of our peers. When they are caught they are reviewed by more pigs. There are no police to police the police. In the end they usually just get paid desk duty for murder, robbery or the like. Imagine... there are citizens who are ok with this double standard where they can break laws and we cant.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
here is what is sad. that driver almost killed several people innocent people. why were the community leaders not concerned about that.
they were only concerned about the conduct of the cops, nothing else.
Where did anybody in the community approve of the drivers actions? Show me one link please. People expect criminals to be criminal, not Cops to be criminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
No, my friend. What many Americans are saying is that since Obama did not have the facts as he himself said, he should not have made any comment. Blindly back the officer? I've not heard that one at all. Where did you get this? You just made it up?
Obama had the facts to render the judgement he made. He knew Gates had provided his ID at the time he was arrested. He knew the Officer was headed to his car before he turned around (with ego in hand) to arrest Gates which is what the Prez considered "acting stupidly". People on this board always blindly back police, even when they shoot an unarmed guy 45 times, sodomize a guy for smoking weed, beat the shyt out of a little girl in juvey, choke some dude on the side of the highway etc..It's part of playing the "patriotism card". It's why Rush quickly called Obama a "black militant"..Rush wanted to get out in front of the patriotism issue and cast Obama as anti-police thus anti-American.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
The officer who did this is a sick person who should not be a cop to begin with. I pray that he is not only removed from his position but also punished for this senseless act of brutality.

Although there are bad apples in every profession, I don't view police officers as villians just because there are extreme cases of police officers who allow the power to go to their heads. Would everyone prefer that we abolish the police force altogether because there are incidents of brutality? This is like wanting to abolish all doctors because there are several doctors that are guilty of malpractice! There are bad apples in every profession and it isn't fair to punish the good cops for the actions of the bad ones. The media is going to sensationalize police brutality cases but how often do you hear about the good cops on TV? I'm sure that there are some CD posters who may be cops themselves or former cops who are committed to protecting individuals and property. Many of you even know police officers personally who are dedicated to maintaining law and order. Law enforcement is not an easy job and it's these bad apples that are making it even more challenging for the good cops to do their jobs properly. What we need to do is to thoroughly screen out the bad cops to begin with and do regular evaluations to ensure that our police force are doing their jobs properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies