Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 04:31 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
As a black male who's family has been here since at least the 1790's (thats as far back as I can trace), I really dont care for the term African American. I use it in public b/c it seems to make the public comfortable, but in all honesty, Ive never been to Africa, dont have a clue about everyday culture over there, dont know the language and may not ever visit in my lifetime.
Dominicans and Brazilians of African Descent dont even think about AFrica, they are just straight up Dominican or Brazilian and thats it. They embrace the culture of that country and thats nice to see.
I personally believe if your liniage in this country traces back a hundred or so years, just call urself american and leave it at that. A lot Africans that come to the USA dont particularly care for American Blacks anyway. They have derogatory terms that they use.

Also 75% of American blacks have european or American Indian blood in them anyway but a lot of people like to forget about that
Excellent post; thank you for reason, honesty and logic. You are an American, as American as anyone else. Rep point for you.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have a client who's white who's family goes back generations in southern Africa.

He had a point that he is also African - American. Many people believe this term only describes blacks but many white Africans have moved here to the US.

So does African-American not apply to these whites also if you must use a label ?
If they were born in Africa and immigrated to America, of course it does. Why do so many people hate logic?

Old 10-11-2009, 04:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Why do so many people hate logic?

Sorry the issue isn't a mathematical formula, but a cultural one. Tracing one's Afro-ness isn't an issue of genetics of nationalism but a shared social history. Without that appreciation you "logic" falls apart.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:44 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halleda View Post
That's what MY research shows.
Check into the use of German American, Polish American, Japanese American, Italian American, etc. It was in response to and copying those terms that blacks first started using the term African-American.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Sorry the issue isn't a mathematical formula, but a cultural one. Tracing one's Afro-ness isn't an issue of genetics of nationalism but a shared social history. Without that appreciation you "logic" falls apart.
African American. They're two words, in which the definitions of each are not up for debate. If leftist political correctness has tried to hijack the words and turn them into political leverage, that's not my problem.

Bottom line: If you are born and raised in Africa and immigrate to America and you insist on labels, you are African American. If you are born and raised in America, and you're lineage is 4, 5 and 6 generations of fellow Americans, you are American. Political Correctness rots the brain.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Check into the use of German American, Polish American, Japanese American, Italian American, etc. It was in response to and copying those terms that blacks first started using the term African-American.
We should make a law banning all hyphenated Americans. They did so in France; every French citizen in France is French, none of this hyphenated pc nonsense.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:53 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:
African American. They're two words, in which the definitions of each are not up for debate. If leftist political correctness has tried to hijack the words and turn them into political leverage, that's not my problem.

Bottom line: If you are born and raised in Africa and immigrate to America and you insist on labels, you are African American. If you are born and raised in America, and you're lineage is 4, 5 and 6 generations of fellow Americans, you are American. Political Correctness rots the brain.
There are many German Americans, Polish Americans, Irish Americans and Italian Americans around here who aren't going to agree with you

Old 10-11-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
There are many German Americans, Polish Americans, Irish Americans and Italian Americans around here who aren't going to agree with you
There are a lot of people on c-d that don't agree with me. You should see some of the pm's that I've received.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
There is no need for "African-American" or "Irish-American" or .... "whatever".

How about "blond-American". Or, "Skinny-American" or .... "whatever"

IMO it is a ridiculous thing to even argue about.

Political Correctness run amuck

Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
African American. They're two words, in which the definitions of each are not up for debate.
I agree whole hardly, so when will you and folks like you give it a rest. It's a done deal.

Quote:
If leftist political correctness has tried to hijack the words and turn them into political leverage, that's not my problem.
Well that would be quite a change in comparison to the 300 years of rabid racist playing word games with people of African descent.

Quote:
Bottom line: If you are born and raised in Africa and immigrate to America and you insist on labels, you are African American. If you are born and raised in America, and you're lineage is 4, 5 and 6 generations of fellow Americans, you are American.
Call me when America sees folks with dark skin as Americans first and maybe we'll talk.

Call me when Americans show as much concern about 10th generation Europeans using hyphenated names.

Call me when the first thread entitled, "I Can't Stand the Word Irish/Italian/Polish/German/ American" appears on this talk board other than as a response to this post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies