Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,746,901 times

Advertisements

He is selling racist and offensive items. He can sell them on a street corner if he wants or on his own internet site. People going into a mall do not wish to see them. I would tell him to move out too- or at least wrap his more offensive items in a plain brown wrapper and not display them. I might point out that most malls have clauses in their contracts that prohibit the display or sale of offensive items. Some malls in Atlanta do not allow even the display or sale of Confederate battle flags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,176,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
As Glenn Beck said the other day, there never were any IMPEACH BUSH bumper stickers and yard signs for sale, were there?
There were plenty, depending on where you live. Bush lied about getting America into a war which has to date cost over 4,300 lives, countless permanently maimed, and billions of dollars spent...all for lies.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Good post. Well thought out and written.

Now lets consider what Simon did about the proposed Tea Party at one of their buildings in Atlanta. The organizers were expecting many thousands of people but once someone griped that these people were just anti-Obama people they jerked to permission to use the building. I think there is a chance that one of the biggest contributors to Obama in the nation is playing a political game.

Also, this merchant is operating out of a kiosk. That is one of those little stands in the middle of the mall floor that isn't really a high income rental store.

Roysoldboy, i think we both answer our own question with what you just wrote and the question you just asked.

1. If his merchandise is so popular why is he operating out of a kiosk?

2. If sells are so good, why couldn't he just relocate?

3. If sells of his merchandise are so good, why hasn't the mall offered any additional store space?

If he is making money someone will want a piece of his revenue stream. If you're controversial and profitable you'll find a job anywhere. We have to look no further than Rush, Sharpton, Stern, and any other radio talk show host that is controversial. I do not have to agree with what you say, as long as you make me a significant profit. The only time I'd have a problem with you if you were saying things i do not agree with while not making me a profit. The property owner has not made this political, the kiosk owner made it political. I think we have to be aware of this fact. If the store disagreed with his merchandise, they would not have offed him the lease to begin with. His story of a political connection to me is a bit far-fetched. I think it is great promotional technique for his business, but beyond that, if it does not help him generate sell for an extended period, he is still in the same position he was before he did all this. He can only cry wolf, but so many times before his store fails.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,964,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
There were plenty, depending on where you live. Bush lied about getting America into a war which has to date cost over 4,300 lives, countless permanently maimed, and billions of dollars spent...all for lies.
Bush could've been Hitler himself and that's not the point.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Impeace Obama is not a racist remark and the mall owner would do very well to leave this one alone, especially if he received any stimulus money from the administration.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM

23,802 posts, read 24,078,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
1. The store is not very profitable (therefore whether or not they were selling "Die Obama Die" or "Thank God for Obama" we are not going to renew

2. We have found a store that is much more profitable, that we think will help contribute to our bottom line
Quote:
i did mention something about profitability. The more profitable the store the more i can raise your rent. The less profitable the store the less i can raise your rent.
How profitable a retailer is has NOTHING to do with the rent that they pay. Nothing. The rent is determined by what the market will bear. You can't charge someone more rent just because they make more money - they'll flip you the bird and tell you to shove it.

If you were renting a house from me for $1000/mo, and I found out that you were raking in $200k/mo, what would you do if I raised your rent to $5000/mo? You'd move. If the house isn't worth $5000/mo, I won't be able to get it - regardless of how much money prospective tenants have. It works the exact same way with commercial space.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,314,229 times
Quote:
NO and i don't think i mentioned anything about him being unable to pay rent. However, i did mention something about profitability. The more profitable the store the more i can raise your rent. The less profitable the store the less i can raise your rent. If i think another store will be more profitable in your space what do you think as a mall owner i'm more likely to do?

1. Renew your contract?

2. Not Renew and put the other store in your space?

3. In such dire economic times do you think a mall owner would drop a profitable store from its small lineup?
The mall owner sets rent pr sq ft at whatever the market will bear.
The mall owner would not be privy to a tenants books or gross profit to make a judgement call on viability nor should they care so long as his rent his paid up full and on time.
Why would the mall owner replace a paying tenant with an unknown?
The mall owner does have the right to non-renewal, but your scenario makes no sense.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:34 AM

23,802 posts, read 24,078,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
He is selling racist and offensive items.
Here's his website: Free Market Warrior - Show me the "racist" products.

As for "offensive" - have you ever been inside a Spencer Gifts? Talk about "offensive"... What about "Victoria's Secret"? There's plenty of people who find the window displays offensive - should we wrap them up, too?

You're CLEARLY not only uninformed about what he was selling, but blinded by your own political views when it comes to what's "offensive" and what should be done about it.

What would your opinion be if it were two years ago and it was "Impeach Bush" stickers being sold?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:34 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,618,057 times
If a lease is up in a mall and there are no options, then the mall has every legal right to not give another lease. Malls tend to avoid controversy no matter who is right or wrong so getting rid of the tenant whose lease has expired is perfectly normal. By the way, I'm on the side of the store but legal is legal.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,314,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
He is selling racist and offensive items. He can sell them on a street corner if he wants or on his own internet site. People going into a mall do not wish to see them. I would tell him to move out too- or at least wrap his more offensive items in a plain brown wrapper and not display them. I might point out that most malls have clauses in their contracts that prohibit the display or sale of offensive items. Some malls in Atlanta do not allow even the display or sale of Confederate battle flags.
Maybe read the link before you comment and lecture others.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,512,882 times
Quote:
In such a dire economic times Simon Property Group a publicly traded company, would not renew a profitable stores contract for the political reasons being portrayed in the local news. However, they probably will not renew a non-profitable stores contract (which i think is probably most likely what is happening)

Let's put ourselves into the shoes of both the proprietor and the property owner. Let's first take a look at the property owner.

-How i think Simon Property Group see this

1. The store is not very profitable (therefore whether or not they were selling "Die Obama Die" or "Thank God for Obama" we are not going to renew

2. We have found a store that is much more profitable, that we think will help contribute to our bottom line, because in a down economy that is all our shareholders care about

3. We have a company, which may promote, things we disagree with, but if they make us enough money and provide profitable lease terms we can certainly overlook this minor disagreement. However, if they are not very profitable and are promoting something we as a company disagree with, well, i think we will be more likely to can them and not renew.

How the Entrepreneur Views it

1. I'm running a profitable business, thus I'm a profitable location for the mall they'll resign my contact no problem (especially in a down economy they cannot afford to loose revenue)

2. I'm not running a profitable business and i have some questionable merchandise that the property owner may or may not disagree with. Oh f**k I'm in deep boo boo. How can i save my store?

3. I can contact the local media get them on my side. Hopefully raise my sells enough, so that it becomes profitable for the property owner to keep and renew my contract.

My opinion of the events are that this guys store was not doing very well for a long period time. He knew they were probably not going to renew the contract. He also is aware, that this sort of store is seen as "controversial" so any news coverage he could spark, would be to his advantage. I believe the Property Owners, were simply thinking in terms of dollars as to whether or not they'll renew his contract. If all this media attention last and he is able to increase his sells as well as mall turnout, we'll keep him regardless of whether or not we agree with his position. However, if we think this circus will be short lived, we'll still dump his contract and not renew, because his store has no staying power etc.

I can almost guarantee this has nothing to do with politics whatsoever. I will say it is a smart move by the business owner to get his store some national attention. He is playing right into the fear of blue collar America and now they'll hopefully spend more money at his store. Brilliant idea!! Now what happens when every other store like his does the same thing? lol

Local news around here has been covering it a little more in depth. The owner of the company is a big Obama supporter. There were two letters written to the management group saying it was offensive. He's not renewing the lease for them.
Its not a "store" it is a Kiosk in the open area. If its profitable or not is of no concern to them management group as they simply charge a flat rent and the owner of the kiosk has to pay that rent no matter what.
So profitable vs non-profitable has nothing to do with this incident.

But as I've said before no matter if I think its a shady move on the part of the mall owner or not (I do think it is purely political) it doesnt really matter as its their right to lease to whomever they want. They just have to take the consequences (in this case, protestors) for whatever they decide.

I do find it funny, though, that most liberals love the idea of making bar owners adhere to the policy they think is best (no smoking) but here they agree with the right for the mall owner to lease to who they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies